PDA

View Full Version : Netflix & Hulu

Carolnnc
May 5th, 2018, 09:06 PM
We've had Netflix for about 3 years & I'm not finding much to watch anymore. I was wondering if Hulu is different enough to pay for both since DH still watches Netflix quite a bit.

Hulamoon
May 5th, 2018, 09:17 PM
I think Hulu has more recent things from maJor networks. I think Netflix has more interesting shows like docomentaries. I just bought season one of the Handmaids tale on Ebay because I really wanted to see it and didn't want to subscribe to Hulu. I love the news too much to drop cable right now. It costs a lot of money to watch TV right now. lol

Carlie Wolf
May 5th, 2018, 10:26 PM
I got to the point where I felt like I had watched everything on Netflix. I had it for about six years. Same with my Dish subscription. My sister had the Amazon Prime videos and she liked that. I let Netflix go about 6 months ago along with Dish which was costing me around $40-$50 and switched to just Amazon. I could get that for $14 a month and it also includes their free shipping which I'm finding very very helpful. I like it and it includes documentaries, tv shows, movies etc. I like it and can always find something. I plan on resubscribing to Netflix probably by September for a few months again to catch up on the new episodes and movies that I've enjoyed. Not so Dish which I felt was a waste of good money.

quiltsRfun
May 5th, 2018, 11:05 PM
We dropped Dish and now watch Netflix, Amazon and Acorn. I found quite a few British and Aussie shows that I like on Acorn. It's still cheaper than what we were paying for Dish. Haven't tried Hulu yet.

JulieC
May 5th, 2018, 11:21 PM
I had Netflix a few years ago, but dropped it because there was a lot of overlap with Amazon. I haven't tried Hulu -- I make due with Amazon and a Roku streaming stick.

Carlie Wolf
May 5th, 2018, 11:31 PM
Julie what is the Roku streaming stick for? I use Amazon right from my computer.

JulieC
May 5th, 2018, 11:42 PM
The stick has channels, such as Amazon, YouTube, NBC, ABC, etc. Most channels are free, but some require a subscription to watch. It plugs into the USB port on my TV, and I can watch movies -- or Jenny -- on my TV instead of the computer. It also has a remote. My laptop is small, it's easier to see stuff on the TV.

Carlie Wolf
May 5th, 2018, 11:54 PM
Oh ok. I have a cord that connect my computer to the tv so I do watch it from the tv. I don't get the local channels though is NBC and ABC free subscriptions? That might be beneficial. Don't the roku run around $39?

JulieC
May 6th, 2018, 12:05 AM
I have a cord to connect the laptop to the TV, too, but the laptop doesn't like it and can overheat. The channels for ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox are free, but you have to wait a week (usually) to see the newest episodes -- it's not a live stream. The stick is selling for $35 (refurbished) on Amazon right now. I bought mine when it was on sale.

Carlie Wolf
May 6th, 2018, 09:55 AM
Thanks Julie. I might get one :-)