PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Morning Hellos!

JCY
May 5th, 2018, 09:08 AM
Good Morning ~ I guess I'm the early bird this a.m. We had a delightful, sunny day yest. It got up to 80 deg. It's supposed to be even warmer today. Speaking of birds, I dragged more nesting stuff down from that gutter yest. a.m. I put up the picnic table umbrella & pushed it over right against the side of the house so it covered that area. It seems to have discouraged the robin. Here's hoping she's done with trying to build there.

Yest. a.m. I mixed up my turkey patties for the next 3 wks. In the afternoon I made a quick run to Walmart for DH's Rx. I found time to almost finish the FMQ on the table runner. I have just the narrow border (1.5") to do. I watched one of Tracey Russell's FMQ videos last eve. that I think will work. I've gleaned so many FMQ ideas from her YT videos.

No more time this a.m. Have a great Saturday.

Star lover
May 5th, 2018, 09:18 AM
Good morning Joy and everyone this fine sunny Saturday!

Those rascally robins.....they always want a nest, where you don't. We've had one repeatedly terry to make one on the front porch light.....it's right over the mailbox and it sure makes a mess. Been tearing that thing down for a couple weeks......

Woo hoo, the sun is out and I just love it! The days of rain has made the lawn green and loooong, but I'm happy.
I spent an hour cleaning up all the branches the high winds blew down. The lawn is squishy, so I couldn't get all the branches.
I see a few buds on the trees......I think spring has officially arrived here in Michigan!

Hope Monique and Suzanne have fun today.......look forward to hearing from them.
I'll bet Barb and Jeff are busy with their new fur babies......it'll be fun to hear how all's going and pics!

Hope y'all enjoy this fine day, in whatever way make ya happy! Love and hugs!

Carlie Wolf
May 5th, 2018, 09:32 AM
I'm liking this weather now that I'm 99% sure the winter is over.

It's been a hectic week. My car I guess exploded last Friday when we tried to jump start it. It was it's time to be laid to rest and it really wasn't worth fixing. There has been numerous things wrong with it for a while. I'm not sure I'll get another car. I'd be really lucky if I could even save up $1000 by the end of the summer. I'm not sure exactly why but I feel relieved and like a major stress has been lifted. I did feel angry because I had just sold something and I was doing (like really) a happy dance all over the house because I had gotten behind on the winter fuel bill and now I could pay it off and also be ahead of the game. I decided to run out to the store, got in the car and it was dead (hence the start of the car jumping). My first reaction was OH SURE, I get a little money and IMMEDIATELY it has to go to something else!!! This happens EVERY time! That lasted about 5 minutes and then I had a strong thought. More likely it's a gold/silver lining and God's making sure I don't get into an accident that is due to happen and leave me in pain for the rest of my old life. He's been very good at taking care of me my whole life so I need to look at it as a blessing and not a curse. That's when the calm set in and it's been there ever since. I've spent the rest of the week setting up rides for my future once a month grocery shopping, the library will deliver my books and pick them up and I have a few people who will take me to the store when I run out of milk.

grammaterry
May 5th, 2018, 09:51 AM
I know what you mean about God taking care of you, but are you close to services? I just don't know what I'd do if I couldn't get to town. As we get older, this seems to be a worry. My children are all at least 200 miles frm me . Humm...I hope this will work out for you. I'm sorry about your financial woes too and pray that things are going to get better. It was a long winter.
Yesterday I decided to make a little wall to hold the hill from the mulch getting in the yard from the flower beds. Well, DH came out and had to let me know that it wasn't straight and it took two hours for him to get a string set up and a level on it and by then it was 80 degrees. I worked outside about 6 hours at it and its still not done, but looking pretty good. DH insisted on helping and complaining that it was a make work project. Bout half done. I'm going to go out and work on it some more this morning before it gets too hot.
I sandwiched the quilts that Nancy (bethb ) sent and then I straightened up my stash shelves. They look much better. A woman in town offered me some of her stash for $100 and I'm debating. Sometimes she gives me usable stuff, other times its just a lot of little pieces that are too much work. Wow...I'm sounding picky now.
The birds are singing this morning and my cat (Earl) just brought me a chipmunk. DH will be upset that he killed another one. Pore Earl, he thinks he is doing a good thing.

Carlie Wolf
May 5th, 2018, 11:06 AM
Terry, if the truth be known I've never liked driving although we did have a routine of "Driving Miss Daisy" with Carlie, she loves rides in the car. So it was costing me $75 a month in insurance to do those small things. Even when I had the car it's only about a half mile to one grocery store and the library and 2 mi to Walmart, I'd buy $10 for gas and it would last me three months :-). Things will get better and I hate to say this but when my ex dies. For some reason social security thinks that a divorced woman can live off of less then half of the male counterpart in a former marriage. I was an at home mother. I don't know how they figured that out. It's pretty hard I'm living off of $1030 a month; 460 from his SS, 300 on mine and 300 from alimony (till death do we part) the blessed judge awarded that we weren't asking for. So I guess the extra 75 from car insurance is part of the relief LOL. He's getting at least 2400 in SS. Some days, yes, I find it depressing so I try not to think about it but God has always come through for me in so many ways my whole life, he's my strength and so often keeps the smile on my face :-)

MissMay
May 5th, 2018, 11:44 AM
Carly, My sister always says, "When one door closes another one will open".

Enjoying the recent cool sunny days although it has been getting humid around 4pm but the cool breezes throughout the nights make up for that. Not much to say today, just taking it easy like DH. He said he was taking the weekend off and DS#1 said, "From what?" LOL! Still auditioning fabrics for newest DGGS Drew's quilt, hope to get it to him before his Christening later this month.

Wondering what to make or buy for tonight's dinner as it's Cinco de Mayo. DH doesn't like spicy foods so that limits choices. I love to eat things with a little pop of spice so maybe 2 different dinners ordered from Tex Mex place will do it for tonight.

KPH
May 5th, 2018, 12:32 PM
Good Morning All,

I was lounging around this morning, being quiet since DS#2 closed last night and was still up around 2 this morning, when DS#1 called. He invited me out to breakfast. I kept the two younger ones while he and his oldest went to Home Depot to make a windmill flower pot.

They had a good time there while the youngest of all drug out the train tracks and started putting them together. It's his favorite thing to do right now. The wooden tracks are some that belonged to the boys when they were young. The wood is starting to splinter off and some are cracking so I don't know how much longer they'll last.

I started sewing squares together for the Diamond, Stars and Stripes for DS#1. I screwed up the first set, I made the two cuts perpendicular instead of on the diagonal. I'm so thankful I decided to work in sets of 8! I only screwed up 7 sets, but dang it certainly did frustrate me. I only got 2 blocks finished and enough half square triangles to make 3 more blocks sewn and squared up. I wasn't thrilled with the orange and black, it feels really muddy to me but Mike liked it, so that's all that matters.

Carlie, I'm so glad you're close to some stores. I don't think I would mind walking to the store if they were closer, but being over 2 miles there and two miles back, I think my kids would have a fit if I even tried it! Sad thing is, if we could cut through the people's yards it's probably less than a 1/4 mile to the closest shopping center.

Well, DS#2's left for work, kids are gone for the day, so I'm by myself and almost ready to go into the sewing room.

Lifting prayers for those in need for healing, comfort and strength. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

Bubby
May 5th, 2018, 12:46 PM
Hi Everyone,

We are a family of 5 after picking up the Little Girls yesterday. They slept all the way home and we got to see them feel grass underneath their little feet for the first time. These two are everywhere at the same time and in perpetual motion. They slept through the night fine and Jeff let me sleep in and got up with them this morning. Dottie was furious yesterday but today she has a bit of a resigned attitude. We are giving her refuge areas away from the little ones for now. Maggie jumped on Dottie's back yesterday, which didn't go over well at all. So far Dot has only growled and scowled...no biting. We are making sure to preserve Dottie's schedule and showers of affection as usual.

In summary, the Little Girls are amazing and so pretty. Sugar is as sweet as they come and loves to snuggle. Maggie is a little larger and is quite bold. She knows how to push doors open, has dug her first muddy hole, and jumps quite well. So far there hasn't been much barking. They are eating and sleeping well and so far so are we. I will post pictures as we get them.

Wishing Everyone a Good Day.

JCY
May 5th, 2018, 01:35 PM
Update on that pesky robin ~ Well, the umbrella worked great yest. as a deterrent to nest building in the gutter. But...what does she do today?! Attempt to build a nest in the umbrella! Two hrs. after putting it up (we use it as an awning shade for the K. window), I look out the window & see all this grass & twigs in the cross pieces of the umbrella above the pole! Grrrr! I cleaned that up, closed up the umbrella, & now she's still attempting to build in the gutter. We go out every little while with the broom & brush off the gutter. She certainly is persistent. She is NOT going to build a nest anywhere on our house!

CARLIE ~ If you are within walking distance of most of your services, you can get by without a car. DS#2 (age 49) lives in Sumner, WA. He has lived w/o a car for several yrs. For a long time, he rode a bike to Kent -- 20 mi. each way to/from work -- in all kinds of weather -- until his bike was stolen. He could not afford to replace it, so rode the Sounder (train) & bus. After he changed jobs, he's only a mi. from work & walks. There is a Fred Meyer groc. store just a few blocks away. Also the city library. (He's an avid reader.) Not having the expense of ins. & upkeep on a car may allow you to afford an occas. taxi. Do they have rides for seniors (for a small fee) in your community? There are many older people in our city who do not drive who depend on the bus or the Access-a-Ride or Via transports. You might check with your senior center (if you have one) to learn other options.

JulieC
May 5th, 2018, 02:06 PM
Happy Saturday, Everyone!

We have good weather today, which is a blessing -- I need to mow the front yard today. The back yard will have to wait, it rained yesterday and there's still a huge puddle in the back corner. I thought I had weed killer to put down in my yard and Mom's, but I was mistaken...there's a trip up to the local Home Depot or Lowes in my future. It's a losing battle though; the neighbor's yard is always full of dandelions.

Joy -- Mom had an issue with a persistent robin last year. It tried to build a nest on the narrow ledge of one of the high windows. My sister knocked the attempts down for quite a while before the bird got the message. It left a huge mess on the window.

Star lover
May 5th, 2018, 02:17 PM
Joy, I also had the most persistent Robin many years ago......just wouldn't give up. So.......we let it build the nest until it was almost done and then tore it out. it was right outside the door (on the front door light - their absolutely favorite spot???), so I could watch the progress. When it was almost done, tore it out......never to build there.....then. They come back every year. So it's repeat every year.....and in some years more than once.....

LauraP
May 5th, 2018, 06:15 PM
If you put a rubber snake in the gutter the birds will leave. We have one in the big carport and have never had even birds resting in there since. In the little carport we have a plastic owl to keep the sparrows from getting up in the eaves.

Carlie Wolf
May 5th, 2018, 08:02 PM
JCY, I thought of the Senior Center too. Turns out the program they have is Thurs and people who go to the Bingo get first dibs but it still wouldn't work because they have a three bag limit!! My, my that wouldn't even qualify for my bread LOL The other program is if you are getting to invalid stage which requires a nurse to come and then doctors appts. Fortunately I'm not at that stage by a long shot and hope I never am. I don't even need any meds. I had hoped that they'd have a list of people who don't mind getting paid to just pick you up and take you and get paid for it. But they don't. I called the taxi service and while they can drop you off they have no guarantee they can pick you up, say 20 or 40 minutes later, you could sit there for hours. I could walk it easy enough and I'd have the incentive if I could walk Carlie at the same time but we both have our odd quirks after so many years. I'd have to tie her up as I ran into the store quickly for an item and she has Queen's Rules. You know the one...you never touch the Queen without permission and she's not likely to give it on any given day LOL Also the one thing I can't manage is carrying a gallon of milk, it pulls my shoulder out and milk is about the only thing I'd run out of. My quirk is that I've never been one to ask for help it is extremely difficult for me. I love giving it but I can't seem to take it. I do have two neighbors that would do it for me so it's just a matter of swallowing my pride :-) I know, pathetic isn't it. Other then that it looks like I'm lucky to be it pretty good shape for the no car dilemma . Also there has been talk that Uber might start up here so that might be a future option. (The library is happy to pick up and deliver my books. I read about 10 a month so I can order them once a month.) You know most things you can purchase on line now and with Amazon most I get with free shipping. Who'd have ever thought that the main problem was getting that darn milk!

Good news. I order potato tubers or whatever you call them on Thurs and they came today! Fast fast shipping. Now I have to wait for the rain to stop to get them planted. Looks like a go for Monday or Tuesday :-)

MSN
May 5th, 2018, 09:41 PM
Carlie Wolf,

Of course it's hard to ask for help. It's called being independent, and you have worked hard to achieve that independence. And, yeah, it's really hard to swallow your pride and ask for help.

I am a chemo nurse. Many of my patients have to face the loss of independence and the physical inability to complete some routine chores. I talk with them about the good, neighborly things they have done for others over the years, and how good it made them feel to lend a helping hand. I then tell them, "Don't deny that feeling to your neighbors. Let them feel good about helping someone (you)." As the Bible, tells us, there is a time for everything. There is a time to help others, and a time to graciously accept help when you need it.

Carlie Wolf
May 5th, 2018, 10:34 PM
MSN, thank you for saying that, it is very kind and put out there so thoughtfully :-) It brought tears because it was simply put and so very true.

MaggieSue
May 5th, 2018, 10:54 PM
MSN I bet you are a great Nurse!! Charlie Wolf great suggestions given here for you!!!

Cokie
May 5th, 2018, 10:58 PM
Carlie, if your walk isn't too far, perhaps you could get one of those small folding carts to use when you go for groceries. It might help with milk or canned goods. Here is an example of what I mean - there are all kinds of them in different price ranges.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Honey-Can-Do-Steel-Folding-4-Wheel-Utility-Rolling-Cart-White/17108713?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227008818140&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40344177872&wl4=pla-78308652752&wl5=9015509&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=17108713&wl13=&veh=sem

And I agree with MSN - though it's easier said than done sometimes. And such a sweet, thoughtful comment.

Carlie Wolf
May 5th, 2018, 11:36 PM
Cokie, I have one of those, actually two that were my mothers. I used them for all the bags and things I had to cart to the two craft fairs locally I do. This is bad, but I refuse to use them to walk to the store. It reminds me of the little old bag ladies you'd see on the streets of NYC. I just CAN'T do that, well.....unless I put one of the old fashion scarves on my head. But I do have an old long raccoon coat I could wear :-)

chelea
May 6th, 2018, 01:50 AM
Reminds me of that poem "When I Grow Old I Shall Wear Purple".

geegeequilts
May 6th, 2018, 02:09 PM
Carlie

Maybe you could take one of the carts & decorate it somehow, maybe take some ribbon or fabric strips & weave in & out of the basket area. Something that makes you feel happy & still be independent.

Gina

Carlie Wolf
May 6th, 2018, 03:32 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if in a few years I didn't put advertising my quilting on the sides and maybe stick a pole in it to sell fabric bags as I do quickie grocery shopping to use instead of those awful plastic ones they give you. :-)