PDA

View Full Version : AlohaSandy, Hulamoon, and all our Hawaii forum friends....

Caroline T.
May 2nd, 2018, 07:25 PM
Please check in,

I just read a news article about the quakes and potential volcano eruption. Please let us know that you are ok, and in a safe zone.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/dozens-of-quakes-rattle-hawaii-volcano-eruption-possible/ar-AAwEzwd?li=BBnb4R7&ocid=UE09DHP

bubba
May 2nd, 2018, 08:03 PM
Neither of them are on that island. Lorie is on Kauai and Sandy is on Oahu.

Caroline T.
May 2nd, 2018, 08:08 PM
Neither of them are on that island. Lorie is on Kauai and Sandy is on Oahu.

That's good to know. I've never been to the Islands, so truth be told, I wouldn't know one from the other - except maybe from the air :)

bubba
May 2nd, 2018, 10:29 PM
That's good to know. I've never been to the Islands, so truth be told, I wouldn't know one from the other - except maybe from the air :)

The big island, which is where the volcano is, is the furthest east. Next, I think comes Molokai and Maui, the Oahu and Kauai. From Maui to Oahu is a 30 minute plane ride and the big island is about that much further I think, as we have not been to that island, but we do see it in passing.

The volcano puts out, what is referred to as vog, and we were on Oahu one winter for four weeks and didn't even get a tan!! It was so voggy that it appeared to be overcast every single day we were there! At least it was still warm....

Hulamoon
May 3rd, 2018, 08:02 PM
Thanks Caroline :) Here on Kauai it is just WET,WET,WET! It floods all the time. I had a friend die in one the last bad one:(

Hawaii is fire and water for sure.

bubba
May 3rd, 2018, 08:37 PM
I know someone on the big island and posted several pictures of the ash cloud. There are areas being evacuated because of breathing dangers.

We lived in California when Mt. St. Helens erupted, almost 38 years ago, and you can still see the huge piles of ash along the sides of the freeway down there. A friend took us flying in his small plane a while back and we flew over the area. All the trees still lay in place where they fell. It looks like millions and millions of toothpicks.

GuitarGramma
May 4th, 2018, 03:43 PM
My husband is on a business trip in Hawaii, and he texted me to let me know he's on a different island than the volcano. I immediately thought of you, Lorie, and you, Sandy. I think we have at least one other forum member in HI.

Glad to know that you, two are OK! Hope everyone is!

Hulamoon
May 4th, 2018, 03:58 PM
Thanks Toni :)

A little bit of trivia...The Big island is the youngest of all the islands and it's still growing, hence the volcanic activity. Kauai is the oldest. hence the lush green tropical surroundings. There is a new island growing too. https://geology.com/usgs/loihi-seamount/ Don't plan a vacation there yet. lol

Heather
May 4th, 2018, 11:21 PM
So, did you feel the earthquake? (the 6.9) It's amazing what's happening on the big island.

Hulamoon
May 4th, 2018, 11:41 PM
So, did you feel the earthquake? (the 6.9) It's amazing what's happening on the big island.

No, but I have felt a shake before. It was a strange place to erupt in the middle of a subdivision and road. Usually it flows down to the ocean. Those people losing their houses and more sadly their land.