PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday Trivia: Emeralds

Star lover
May 2nd, 2018, 07:17 AM
Colombia is the world's largest producer of emeralds, traditional birthstone for people born in May.

Its Muzo mine has operated continuously since the 16th century, but the indigenous population worked with emeralds before Spanish conquistadors arrived to plunder it all.

One example: the golden Crown of the Andes, made around 1660. It's encrusted with 443 emeralds, including the 24-carat Atahualpa Emerald, reputedly stolen from Inca emperor Atahualpa when he was captured by Francisco Pizarro in 1532.

The crown was made to adorn a sacred image of the Virgin Mary venerated in the cathedral of Popayán (Colombia). A symbol of the Virgin’s divine queenship, the crown is encircled by golden vinework set with emerald clusters in the shape of flowers, a reference to her purity.

Measuring 13-1/2 in. (34.3 cm) in height and 13-1/4 in. (33.7 cm) in diameter, the crown weighs 2.4 kg (5.3 pounds). It was constructed in two sections—the diadem first, in around 1660, and the arches second, around 1770. The estimated weight of the distinctive deep bluish-green emeralds is 846.15 carats.

In 1936, the crown was sold by its owners to an American businessman and it has remained in the United States ever since. As of December 2015, the crown belongs to the collection of the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City.

KPH
May 2nd, 2018, 10:37 AM
My son brought me an emerald from Columbia from one of his deployments. It's beautiful and I love it. lol, I need to get a new chain for it since Zeke broke the one it was on. lol, another thing to add to the 'to do' list.