PDA

View Full Version : May Day Hail Storm -- only in Colorado! (Pic heavy)

JCY
May 1st, 2018, 06:20 PM
Well, you know what they say about Springtime in the Rockies! We get some very changeable weather here along the Front Range of the Rocky Mts. We had a 50% chance of rain today. Our lawn service was just here at 12:30 & had left. I went out to check the padlocks on the gates. I noticed it was getting dark to the west & there were rumbles of thunder. The temp. nosedived from 70 to 56 deg. Shortly after I came in the house, the skies let loose. A heavy downpour of hail. The hailstones (pea sized to small marble size) were bouncing in the grass. Before long the lawn & street were covered in white & the gutters were gushing. That beautiful crabapple tree I posted a pic of -- well, the hail shredded it & the lawn became a carpet of pink petals. Those tulips in my back yard are shredded. I don't know how widespread the hail was, but if people had fruit trees in bloom, I think they just lost this year's yield. The only positive thing I can say it, we really needed the moisture. Here are some pics.152158152159152160152161152162152163152164

SuzyQue
May 1st, 2018, 06:30 PM
I think this is the storm headed our way for the next few days! Spring in its fury! I picked a bunch of daffodils, lilacs, and other spring flowers. The house smells heavenly!

oldsewer
May 1st, 2018, 06:48 PM
That is a LOT of hail. I'm glad you are all right, and hope your house is too.

Cokie
May 1st, 2018, 06:51 PM
I have some pix of visiting my parents house with my kids and they are standing in hail in the backyard, and it looks like they're playing in the snow! Of all the places I've lived, none get hail like the Front Range!

SuzanneOrleansOntario
May 1st, 2018, 06:53 PM
OH my. Spring is brutal and Mother Nature is playing with a yo-yo again. I'm not certain I can believe that we will be low 80s tomorrow. It's only high 50s today.

We have these hail storms frequently in July and August. I remember one year the kids went out and built a partial snow,an. The flowers were killed for the rest of the summer.

KPH
May 1st, 2018, 06:53 PM
Glad you're alright. I hate to think about the farmers depending on their crops that would be so tender.

JCY
May 1st, 2018, 10:54 PM
It's been known to hail several inches in one dump in the Denver Metro area. So much so that drains got clogged, streets flooded, & the City had to get out the snow plows to remove the hail. Fortunately the hail was small enough that we didn't have any damage except to vegetation. I wondered about the plastic window well covers for the bsmt. windows, but I checked & they were ok. We haven't had hail like this for a long time at our house. Many years ago, we had a bad storm with hail stones the size of hen's eggs. I saved some in a plastic bag in the freezer as evidence for the insurance adjuster who came to examine our damaged roof. We needed a new roof & it was paid for by the ins. co.

KarenC
May 2nd, 2018, 01:52 AM
Glad you got back k inside before it hit.

Star lover
May 2nd, 2018, 06:50 AM
Wow! So thankful you're OK and safe! .......sounds like Michigan weather......maybe it's the same everywhere.....don't blink.....cause it's a gonna change.
We hit 80 yesterday and today we're to have storms and the temps will drop........ya just never know.......the weather is unbelievably unpredictable!

Monique
May 2nd, 2018, 07:10 AM
I know firsthand how much damage a hail storm can do. We had a rather strong one a number of years ago, it broke windows and the siding on the west side of the house got badly damaged. Anyone who had siding on the west side had damage.

Nwmnteacher
May 2nd, 2018, 08:34 AM
Wow! Crazy weather! Here in MN we sometimes get hail in July and August. It's especially bad timing because of the farm crops.
Jeanne

Bubby
May 2nd, 2018, 10:11 AM
Good Grief! Your weather is similar to our crazy weather. Sorry about your tree and tulips. We got a surprise hailstorm in March 2008 that ruined both of our vehicles, the siding and roof on our house and shed, lawnmower and patio furniture. The hailstones were the size of ping pong balls. The storm, like yours, came up suddenly and unexpectedly.

I hope the rest of your Spring is beautiful and uneventful, Joy.

geegeequilts
May 2nd, 2018, 03:34 PM
Wow! We have a saying here in Georgia...if you don't like the weather just wait a minute. It'll change. At least the hail didn't cause you too much damage.

Gina

Star lover
May 2nd, 2018, 03:39 PM
Wow! We have a saying here in Georgia...if you don't like the weather just wait a minute. It'll change. At least the hail didn't cause you too much damage.

Gina

Hee hee....we have the same saying in Michigan.....I'm a thinkin that just about every state says it!

geegeequilts
May 2nd, 2018, 04:47 PM
Anita

It's especially true in the spring. As far as how to dress? Layers then you can take off what you don't need. Unless you're having your own "personal summer" .

Gina