PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of international purchases . . .

kaydee
April 26th, 2018, 04:38 PM
I'm waiting with intense interest to see how the USSC decides the case currently in front of them which is an effort by states to make ALL online retailers collect/pay all state and local taxes. Right now, a retailer only has to charge/pay the tax if they have a brick-and-mortar presence in the state. If the USSC changes that and the states get their way, I find myself wondering how that will affect all the small retailers both nationally and internationally. I buy a lot of digital embroidery patterns from non-U.S. online retailers. Will they have to close down their sales to the U.S. or else become experts on all of the state and local sales taxes in the U.S.? A nightmare in the making . . .

mommadeb
April 26th, 2018, 04:42 PM
That will be interesting to see how it comes out.

bubba
April 26th, 2018, 08:41 PM
I don't have an answer to your question, but I'm sure it is being done to try to protect the mom and pop stores. Too many are going out of business.

jjkaiser
April 26th, 2018, 09:42 PM
Not to get too political here, but I am sure if this decision is at the mercy of any government agency they will manage to make a mess of things just like everything else is so totally messed up right now.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
April 26th, 2018, 10:56 PM
I'm certain that online retailers will figure it out.

I'm in Canada. When I order from any U.S. or Canadian on-line shop, the retailer collects my federal & provincial taxes which is 13%. So at best, I always hope I do not have to pay customs in addition to the tax and CDN-US exchange of ~30%. . Most of the time I do not have to pay customs, but this may change if the NAFTA changes.

Claire Hallman
April 27th, 2018, 10:56 AM
It could be so simple, just collect tax for the state in which the seller resides. Eventually each state would end up with additional revenue.
If you ordered something from Texas you would pay Texas taxes just like if you drove to Texas and bought the goods. Easy peasy.

Midge
April 27th, 2018, 11:11 AM
I don't have an answer to your question, but I'm sure it is being done to try to protect the mom and pop stores. Too many are going out of business.

It really isn't about small retailers at all. It's about the state governments that don't get their hands into our pockets if we buy online and don't pay sales tax to the state where we reside when buying from an out of state retailer. It's about the states rights to take a percentage of all our purchases because we live within the state's borders. It gets framed as a "poor mom and pop store" issue because that is the trendy thing to say right now by those who want to bash online retail.