PDA

View Full Version : RANT of the day: Shipping costs

Monique
April 25th, 2018, 07:59 AM
It sucks living here and buying from down there!! I have been looking for a few things but shipping up to Canada is ridiculous. I am looking to maybe have a few things shipped to my friend in Pennsylvania and pick up when Bonnie and I do our road trip in June.

Anywho, my rant is over. Thank you.

**Disclaimer** This is directed at shipping costs in general NOT at any particular store.

auntstuff
April 25th, 2018, 08:11 AM
It really doesn't seem fair, to cost so much to cross an imaginary line in the dirt.

KPH
April 25th, 2018, 08:29 AM
I remember DH griping about shipping costs from different places. He'd do his EBay thing, and it would come down to who had the best price with the best shipping.

It seems it takes a special kind of stupid to charge more for shipping than the item costs to start with. I guess my Scotch-Irish is showing.

Monique
April 25th, 2018, 08:29 AM
It really doesn't seem fair, to cost so much to cross an imaginary line in the dirt.

There was one thing in particular I was looking at, $25 to ship here, $3 for a US address or most places free to ship in US. Not fair indeed.

Rhonda K
April 25th, 2018, 09:20 AM
Monique,

May I join you about the shipping costs? I recently ordered two quilt applique patterns from Canada. The shipping was $12.00 on them. The cost was almost a deterrent to order them but not quite enough.

Oh well, the patterns are adorable and I really wanted them. LOL!

Great idea to grab and stash each others orders.

sew-what2015
April 25th, 2018, 09:43 AM
I will add my frustration. I live in a rural area and sometimes can't find a certainan item.. I ordered a pattern which cost $9 and change. I used my Visa card and when I paid my Visa bill, I paid something over $23. Shipping was an extra $9 and then foreign exchange rate was the rest. I should have ordered a few more patterns as they would have all been shipped in the same envelope so shipping would have been the same. I don't think I will order again.

Astatoo
April 25th, 2018, 09:45 AM
I just don't understand the shipping cost differences-especially for Canada-is this a Canadian imposed deal or US?

RiverMomm
April 25th, 2018, 11:36 AM
I have to come to the defense of retailers on this one. The cost of shipping to Canada is expensive! And I think the biggest issue is that the Canadian post office charges an arm and leg up here. When I moved up here, I was shocked at the prices of domestic postage in Canada and international is MORE. There just isn't an inexpensive option. If you ship something from the States, the price includes a combination of US postage and Canadian postage ($$$) as well as possibly import fees.

For a lot of my US purchases, I have it shipped to a receiving company and then drive down and pick it up. Or when I know I will be visiting my father, I order a LOT and have it waiting for me.

The fact that M*QC offers shipping below cost is one of the reasons I am a fan! :)

Rhonda K
April 25th, 2018, 06:57 PM
Update on Shipping Charges:

I received my two patterns today. The shipping charge was $5.15 on the envelope via Air Mail. It is the only stamp on the envelope. I paid a shipping charge of $12.00. Somebody made a couple of extra bucks on shipping. LOL!

PS: The patterns are adorable and I am happy!

auntstuff
April 25th, 2018, 07:07 PM
Update on Shipping Charges:

I received my two patterns today. The shipping charge was $5.15 on the envelope via Air Mail. It is the only stamp on the envelope. I paid a shipping charge of $12.00. Somebody made a couple of extra bucks on shipping. LOL!

PS: The patterns are adorable and I am happy!

They charge for the envelope, any packing that went into it, and the hands that filled it.

MaryUK
April 25th, 2018, 08:21 PM
I know it's not quite the same for me as I live in the UK but a friend was telling me that she wanted to order something from the US and they were going to charge her US 69 shipping!!

lourixe
April 26th, 2018, 03:23 AM
Even within the EU shipping costs vary a lot. My DH buys a lot of books online, and most times it is cheaper to have them sent from Germany or the UK, that have a discounted shipping fee for books, than purchase them nationally as mail fees are very high in Spain for anything above the standard office letter.

Midge
April 26th, 2018, 01:24 PM
I think if I lived in Canada or Europe I would contact the pattern seller and request that they start offering their patterns in pdf format for download. They need to get with it! M* has gotten smart about this, and so have many other pattern designers. I live in the US and if there is a pdf option I always choose it. No paper to store and lose in my small storage area, and when I want to sew it I just print out the pattern. This is a 20th century problem and we are now in the 21st century folks. Grab for the savings when you can! Of course, that does not solve the high postage problems for purchasing yardage and notions. And postage costs are only going to continue rising everywhere because of less physical mail being delivered in general.

Hulamoon
April 26th, 2018, 03:35 PM
After reading this I was curious about Canadians ordering from Amazon with prime. What happens with the shipping in those purchases?

kaydee
April 26th, 2018, 04:31 PM
I think shippings costs are outrageous even within the U.S. -- at least when you are shipping something yourself. I really resist buying anything online that cannot be returned locally or doesn't have free shipping on returns. I recently had to return two very light weight t-shirts (in the very same bag they were shipped to me) to an online retailer and it cost me $23.00! Outrageous! I find myself asking how M@ can ship fabric for $5.00 and I have to pay $23.00 for essentially the same thing!

SuzanneOrleansOntario
April 26th, 2018, 11:07 PM
After reading this I was curious about Canadians ordering from Amazon with prime. What happens with the shipping in those purchases?

My daughters orders from Amazon with prime, but it is Amazon.ca. Not .com. No shipping costs. She orders must about everything, diapers, etc.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
April 26th, 2018, 11:11 PM
I think shippings costs are outrageous even within the U.S. -- at least when you are shipping something yourself. I really resist buying anything online that cannot be returned locally or doesn't have free shipping on returns. I recently had to return two very light weight t-shirts (in the very same bag they were shipped to me) to an online retailer and it cost me $23.00! Outrageous! I find myself asking how M@ can ship fabric for $5.00 and I have to pay $23.00 for essentially the same thing!

I find the M* shipping to Canada of $10 reasonable. I usually up my order from Connecting Thread to $75 so I can get free shipping. Other sites vary, so I really have to factor this into the overall cost. Shipping costs vary greatly for CDN retailers also. Some have great deals but shipping is exorbitant so I don't order.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
April 26th, 2018, 11:14 PM
It sucks living here and buying from down there!! I have been looking for a few things but shipping up to Canada is ridiculous. I am looking to maybe have a few things shipped to my friend in Pennsylvania and pick up when Bonnie and I do our road trip in June.

Anywho, my rant is over. Thank you.

**Disclaimer** This is directed at shipping costs in general NOT at any particular store.

I hear you. I know many people who have items shipped to Odgenburg, NY as it's less than an hour from Ottawa. I'm not sure with the price of gas these days whether it's not cheaper to just pay the shipping cost.

SallyO'Sews
April 28th, 2018, 12:35 AM
The company I work for in the US ships to Canada once a week. We ship via FedEx, both from Connecticut to the FedEx facility in Mississisauga, ON, and then from there across Canada. So there are two charges - one from us to the border, and another from the border to the destination. Yes, it is expensive! Part of it is just what it costs to get product from here to there; fuel, taxes, tariffs, etc. combine to make it so.

M*QC is giving us all a very good deal on shipping costs! That's why we love them!!

Monique
April 28th, 2018, 07:03 AM
I hear you. I know many people who have items shipped to Odgenburg, NY as it's less than an hour from Ottawa. I'm not sure with the price of gas these days whether it's not cheaper to just pay the shipping cost.

I agree Suzanne, but not feasible for me at I would be at least 4 hours away. It is great for those who live near the border.