PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday Trivia: Syrup

Star lover
April 24th, 2018, 06:47 AM
Maple trees aren't the only ones that can be tapped for their sweet sap.

Black walnut (similar in flavor to maple syrup and darker in color, with a bit of a nuttier flavor), butternut (also nuttier in flavor and darker in color) and other species of walnut trees yield sap that can be made into syrup.

They're not as productive as sugar maples and processing their sap into syrup takes more time and effort, so the end product tends to be more expensive.

Birch trees are the most common non-maple tree used for syrup. Birch is tapped in regions such as Alaska where maple trees are not abundant. The Alaskans really ramped up birch syrup production in response to World War I sugar shortages and they now have a thriving cottage industry, making everything from birch syrup to beer to wine to vinegar to soft drinks.

Birch sap straight out of the tree is valued by many as a sweet spring tonic (much like mineral water) or as base for tea and coffee. Itís also bottled and sold commercially in Europe, China, Korea, Finland, and Russia.

Finished birch syrup tastes more savory than sweet with rich body and hints of caramel, sorghum, honey, and even balsamic. These flavors may not pair well with pancakes but are great for marinades, dressings, meats, and veggies.

Monique
April 24th, 2018, 08:43 AM
mmmm Maple syrup.

Anita, today is Tuesday!!

KPH
April 24th, 2018, 08:43 AM
Shucks, We had two birch trees in our front yard in NC. I wish I'd known that.... maybe it's good that the boys didn't know that!

Vonnie
April 24th, 2018, 08:48 AM
Did not know about the other trees. Thanks Anita!

Katrina - I would be leary about using trees around homes. You don't know if they have been treated with pesticides and other stuff.