PDA

View Full Version : Friday Trivia: Bees and Almonds

Star lover
April 20th, 2018, 06:45 AM
Next time you're snacking on almonds, say thanks to the honey bees that pollinate almond orchards.

They're virtually the only natural pollinators of almonds, which is why almond growers in California team up with beekeepers across the United States to transport bee colonies to the orchards for pollination. Without them, the trees wouldn't produce almonds and we'd miss out on marzipan, granola, almond butter and all sorts of delicious things.

It takes a whole bunch of honeybees for pollination—roughly two hives’ worth for every acre of almonds trees, around 1.7 million hives altogether. That’s something like 85 percent of all available commercial hives in the United States. All told, more than 80 billion flying, buzzing soldiers!

California’s almond growers have to shell out big money to draw in their pollinators—between $165 and $200 per hive, vs $45 to $75 a hive a decade ago.

Sooooo almonds wouldn't bee here without....bees! Sorry, couldnt help myself. I love almonds!

KPH
April 20th, 2018, 08:59 AM
or any other fruit...

JCY
April 20th, 2018, 09:08 AM
Interesting that you posted about bees today. Our senior fellowship at church this noon is having a speaker about bees. When I used to visit my sister in Ashland, OR (she died in 2010), we drove out to the Jacksonville area where they have almond orchards. I know some of our local bee keepers lost most of their bees over the winter. All the pesticides people use affect this. I remember when people never bothered to spray their dandelions; they'd be growing in everyone's yard. When I was in grade school, I used to pick them on the way home from school to put them in the paper May baskets we made.

Jean Marie
April 20th, 2018, 02:52 PM
Interesting. Didn't know any of this. Isn't it sad that the world is loosing so many things we all grew up with? Yes, I remember picking dandelions. Also, spraying dandelion puffs with spray paint. They were beautiful!

quilt_gems_25
April 21st, 2018, 12:54 AM
Thanks for giving a shout out for the bees. We lost all our hives last year and are starting this year with 3 nucs. Nucs are like small starter hives that grow to a full size hive (hopefully) within one season. So far, they seem to like all of the blooming trees here, but the cold days and nights keep them inside their hives most days.
Another bee fact: Did you know that the male bees cannot sting? My daughter used to go out to the hives and find some male bees to pet when she was very young. She could tell them apart from the female workers by their bigger eyes.