PDA

View Full Version : What a night that was!

Astatoo
April 16th, 2018, 12:30 PM
I am grateful that DH could not get to work and had to stay home-our road was not plowed out yet, they did not get to it until sometime this morning. Long story, not so short....I woke up with a dog laying on me about 2:30, got up checked my blood sugar(BS) and could not see enough to read it so I ate a couple pieces of chocolate and crawled in the guest bed to watch tv for a bit. I became extremely chilled this often happens when blood sugar goes really low and I get the massive sweats. I covered with 4 blankets and the dog but just kept shivering then I remembered that DH was home so I got up, checked BS, 52 grabbed another dove mini and crawled in with DH, he woke up and tried to snuggle to warm me, nothing worked so he threw me in a hot steamy shower which often works, he checked BS and it was still only 50 something and he gave me another chocolate. When we ran out of hot water, I dried off and he put me in the guest room, covered me and sat by my bed until the shivers stopped and I fell asleep. I finally woke up at 10 and now my legs feel like limp noodles. He did manage to get the snow cleared while I slept! He really is a good man.

Granny Fran
April 16th, 2018, 12:46 PM
I am so glad that your DH was your guardian angel last night. Seems like your dog was sensing your low BS as well. Sending healing thoughts to you.

Simply Quilting
April 16th, 2018, 12:52 PM
Wow! That was some night. I am glad that your husband is so sweet to help take care of you. Hope you are able to get functioning today and your blood sugar stays in the normal range for a long time.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
April 16th, 2018, 01:10 PM
Looks like man's best friend and your man are there for you, and know what to do. I hope you can have a somewhat quiet day to rest and recover.

RockinLou
April 16th, 2018, 01:40 PM
So glad you were well cared for, and Dove dark chocolate sounds like a delicious way of addressing the issue!!

GuitarGramma
April 16th, 2018, 05:50 PM
What an ordeal! So glad you're doing better in the light of day, Beth!

KarenC
April 16th, 2018, 06:18 PM
So glad you had them both there for you and you're doing better now. Take care of yourself.

grammaterry
April 16th, 2018, 06:45 PM
wow! that is some tale. Glad you are better this morning.

cv quilter
April 16th, 2018, 06:55 PM
Good gosh...How blessed that God, your dog and your hubby are there to care for you. It does sound like your dog had a sense that you needed caring for. Is he a service dog? Seems that the Lord was definitely looking out for you by keeping your hubby at home with you, Beth! Take good care of yourself and allow yourself to rest up and strengthen.

Bubby
April 16th, 2018, 07:17 PM
Beth, I do the same thing when my sugar drops to much too fast. It's downright scary. My sugar has never gone as low as yours though. I once passed out in Produce at WalMart when my sugar dropped suddenly. I was fine one second and the next it felt like I was falling down an elevator shaft. The next thing I knew paramedics where helping me. I'm glad you are doing better. I often feel poorly for a day or so after an episode like yours. Take Care. This should make you smile!

dwil23
April 16th, 2018, 07:30 PM
How Scary! I too believe your pup was a guardian angel watching over you. Thank goodness your DH was home. Prayers you will feel better soon.

Astatoo
April 16th, 2018, 08:02 PM
Thanks for all the well wishes, I did pretty much veg out on the couch today, slept a lot.
My dog has been trained to alert me to low BS. I got him and trained him when DH was driving truck over the road and hardly never home. I can safely say that Asta has woke me up several times when I am not sure I would have normally woke myself.

KPH
April 16th, 2018, 08:05 PM
What a night! I'm so glad there was someone with you to help out.

Debbie Watters
April 16th, 2018, 08:32 PM
So glad this you are feeling better ... just relax and take care of yourself ...

MissMay
April 16th, 2018, 09:13 PM
Beth, I do the same thing when my sugar drops to much too fast. It's downright scary. My sugar has never gone as low as yours though. I once passed out in Produce at WalMart when my sugar dropped suddenly. I was fine one second and the next it felt like I was falling down an elevator shaft. The next thing I knew paramedics where helping me. I'm glad you are doing better. I often feel poorly for a day or so after an episode like yours. Take Care. This should make you smile!

Beth and Barb, a very timely discussion for me because several times during the past few weeks DH said he felt kind of dizzy, of course he didn't say anything until I saw him looking kind of off. I told him next time he should check his sugar and sure enough it was too low in the low 50's. For the longest time I have been I have been trying to get him to eat something between meals even if he isn't hungry, fruit, a piece of cheese or some hard candy. He says he will but really doesn't do it until he fells dizzy because his BS drops too low. We're scheduled for check ups soon and I'm going to ask our primary to refer DH to see a diabetic counselor.

Vonnie
April 16th, 2018, 09:25 PM
I'm also glad your fella's were both there to take care of you!

A few years ago, a young cousin of mine was fired from Sears because he took an unscheduled break. He's type 1 diabetic and his blood sugar dropped so he quickly went to the snack room to get some nuts from the snack machine and his boss was mad. I told his mother that was a lawsuit since they know he's diabetic but he usually carries something on him to eat when this happens.

Astatoo
April 17th, 2018, 11:28 AM
Beth and Barb, a very timely discussion for me because several times during the past few weeks DH said he felt kind of dizzy, of course he didn't say anything until I saw him looking kind of off. I told him next time he should check his sugar and sure enough it was too low in the low 50's. For the longest time I have been I have been trying to get him to eat something between meals even if he isn't hungry, fruit, a piece of cheese or some hard candy. He says he will but really doesn't do it until he fells dizzy because his BS drops too low. We're scheduled for check ups soon and I'm going to ask our primary to refer DH to see a diabetic counselor.

I have had type 1 since early teens and I can certainly identify with having to eat and not really feel like it. One thing that has helped me is to keep a container of one of my favorite snacks-a variety of a Chex Mix that I make or some mixed nuts with some sesame sticks-if your DH has a bit of a sweet tooth, I recently found some rather good sugar free Hershey's chocolate chips at Walmart, I add these to my nut mixture last time.