PDA

View Full Version : Plants

CraftyBarb
April 10th, 2018, 03:35 PM
Started these tomato plants from the seeds from a tomato. Was not sure they would take..but they are coming along really nice. As soon as the weather warms and there is no chance for frost I will get them planted outside. Funny thing is I don't eat tomatoes. Will eat tomato sauce but not actual tomatoes...my b/f loves them. At the end of the season what will be left I will make sauce from them. Did that a few years ago and it came out really good.

Patty J
April 10th, 2018, 03:57 PM
Hmmm congrats on getting the seeds to grow. I can't even get a plant to grow for me. I have the dreaded "Black Thumb" I'm always jealous of anyone who can get plants to actually grow. Good luck and good eating.

Hulamoon
April 10th, 2018, 04:00 PM
I've never grown tomatoes from seeds, I usually buy seedlings. Do you need to dry them out all the way? They look really healthy!

nativetexan
April 10th, 2018, 05:33 PM
I never had luck with tomatoes. my husband grew them just fine. My son recently planted four bulbs of elephant ears for me. I love big green leafy plants. my cats will have to look through them when they get high. they are under my bedroom window.

CraftyBarb
April 10th, 2018, 05:47 PM
I've never grown tomatoes from seeds, I usually buy seedlings. Do you need to dry them out all the way? They look really healthy!

Mine were all dried out before I planted them.

MSN
April 10th, 2018, 09:56 PM
I never had luck with tomatoes. my husband grew them just fine. My son recently planted four bulbs of elephant ears for me. I love big green leafy plants. my cats will have to look through them when they get high. they are under my bedroom window.

When I first read your post, I thought you meant that your cats get high! Too much catnip? LOL.

KarenC
April 10th, 2018, 10:14 PM
These look really nice. When it comes to gardening, I'm in the buy and die business. I buy them and they die.

quilt_gems_25
April 10th, 2018, 11:26 PM
Your tomato plants look so happy.
I remember my dad telling me that for tomato plants, it is best to plant them deep enough that many of the leaves are underground. His ways of doing it was to leave 4 leaves above ground. His gardens were the best.

MHG Winnower
April 11th, 2018, 02:29 AM
Your tomato plants look so happy.
I remember my dad telling me that for tomato plants, it is best to plant them deep enough that many of the leaves are underground. His ways of doing it was to leave 4 leaves above ground. His gardens were the best.

Tomatoes need the night time temps to be above 50 F./10 C. with soil temps ~ 60F. Tomato plants will develop roots along the stem if they are set deep in the ground which is a great thing. You can accomplish this by digging a trough and laying the tomato plant on it's side and leaving the top few leaves exposed. I see that CraftyBarb is in New Jersey; I'm in PA so our zones are about the same. Best to wait til late May til the soil warms up. Here's some info from Rutgers which is a Land Grant Institution and has an extension office which provides education for home owners. https://njaes.rutgers.edu/fs678/ Those Jersey tomatoes are wonderful; something in the soil, they say! Happy Gardening!

SuzanneOrleansOntario
April 11th, 2018, 10:32 AM

Our growing season is small, so I prefer to buy plants from nursery that already have a healthy start. If we rather is food, we usually put the plants in the garden in early-mid June. My dad used to start all his tomato, cucumber, squash, and pumpkins from seed. All the windows in the house had tables and plant trays in front of them from January on. I just don't have the dedication or time to do this. I do enjoy fresh veggies from the garden so I do my best.

Snip Snip
April 12th, 2018, 12:37 AM
I generally start all my own seeds for the garden. I have lights set up in the basement, so the plants can grow in a fairly warm place till it gets warm outside. This year, I don't seem to have much desire to put a garden out. But I have to do something with the garden area, otherwise it will just be weeds. I have tomato and pepper plants started. The rest of the garden I think I will just put in flowers. Food for the soul.

Hulamoon
April 12th, 2018, 01:27 AM
I generally start all my own seeds for the garden. I have lights set up in the basement, so the plants can grow in a fairly warm place till it gets warm outside. This year, I don't seem to have much desire to put a garden out. But I have to do something with the garden area, otherwise it will just be weeds. I have tomato and pepper plants started. The rest of the garden I think I will just put in flowers. Food for the soul.

That sounds nice. I always wanted to do a wildflower garden. I was thinking of getting this.

https://www.highcountrygardens.com/wildflower-seeds/mixtures/wildflower-seed-mix-beneficial-bug

TMP
April 12th, 2018, 06:58 AM
My grandmother could grow anything from seeds and her plants were always beautiful. I can't grow a thing . I don't even have a house plant. I have tried growing tomatoes from little plants you buy at Home Depot with no success. I envy anyone who has a green thumb.