PDA

View Full Version : Praying for patience -- it's contractor season

JulieC
April 10th, 2018, 08:23 AM
Hi Everyone,

Now that it's spring, it's time to get some work done on Mom's house and yard. I have three contractors coming out for quotes this week -- one roofer and two landscapers. I hate dealing with contractors, I really do. Half the time they don't show up. Or, if they do show up, whatever we need done is "too small" and they don't want the work. I had a painter tell me that once. He got points for honesty, but he followed it up with him wanting me to keep to keep him in mind for future work. Um, no.

I need at least one more landscaper to come out after this (I like to get 3 quotes) and one, maybe two more roofers. I had one roofer come out in March, but it took him three weeks to send me the quote (after I called to ask why I hadn't gotten it yet). The roofer coming out Thursday has lots of good reviews on Angie's List, but something seemed...off...when I called. The gal setting up the appointment asked if I was getting other quotes. I'm bracing myself for a hard sell, he will probably ask how much the other quotes are and try to beat the price. That's my guess, anyway.

In the meantime, I'm praying for patience. Thanks for letting me vent!

KPH
April 10th, 2018, 08:31 AM
Lifting prayers for strength and patience. I'm going to be in the same boat, there are little things that need to be done and Howard would always take care of them. Now, I'm going to have to find a handyman that I can call and trust.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
April 10th, 2018, 08:57 AM
We seem to all be in the same boat. Hopefully it will be smooth sailing. Sorry, I couldn't resist, as I do sail, or shall I say did. Not certain DH will be able to do from now on.

We are checking out windows and doors today. I had the family room painted a month ago, but it took the painter a month to come back and squeeze us in to paint the bathroom. Small job, but he knows we call him when we need painting.m

Since DH is preoccupied, He doesn't mind me being the organizer. I will start looking at fencing. Ourfence is in need of repair, especially the back part which adjoins a school. I am thinking we should replace, not fix and put up a higher fence, maybe 7'. I wouldn't go higher although bylaws say we could go 10' because of school. If we went higher, it would cause too much shade and shrubs and flowers would miss sun. Then will need to get some landscaping fixed up, especially where we had to remove two trees because of disease that hit our region.

Funny, I always thought if I won a lottery, I would just get it all done, like in a week. Well, no lottery win or huge amount of money gets anything done, fast.

Patience and courage to all who are going to deal with contractors. I guess we have to realize that because of our short nice seasons, everyone else is also looking to git'her done now.

Carlie Wolf
April 10th, 2018, 09:40 AM
You need the patience of a Saint. I've been through that and am still going through that. We got three quotes from roofers three years ago. Supposedly we were next in line to get the roof done by the one that was picked. After most of the summer he never showed up. Didn't return calls etc. We got another one and finally got it done just before winter. The owner had to get three roofs done so no one was signing up for a small job. Last year we needed a house painter. This isn't a small house. We got a guy in the Spring to do it. We were the next job in line and they anticipated starting in May. Again a no show and he never called back. So we'll try again this year. I don't get it. They come...give an estimate...you say yes...and they never call you back and never show up. Why not just not give an estimate in the first place?

TMP
April 10th, 2018, 10:15 AM
I agree Julie dealing with contractors is no fun. My DH left the house in pretty good shape, but I had a time with the man who was cutting the yard. He would always have an excuse why he could not do the yard and the quality of his work was horrible. I would have to go behind him and sweep off the porches. I finally found a neighbor who has a side yard service and so far he is great.

Julie, I have used Home Advisor to find contractors and had really good luck with those they sent me. I also always try to leave a review of their work.

grammaterry
April 10th, 2018, 10:30 AM
Well, at least your DH's will allow contractors. Mine insists we can do anything. We are planning on a major remodel of our back bedroom whose floor joist has broken. IT will require removing the entire floor and jacking up the house to put the new joist in. Then we will install an outside door where the window was , install hardwood floors, and as long as we are doing all that, I'm requesting a closet!!

JulieC
April 11th, 2018, 08:02 AM
One down, several more to go...the first landscaper was out yesterday afternoon. He was very nice, and he understood what I want to do with the yard -- which is take (almost) everything out and replace it with grass. I want the backyard to be a clean slate for the next homeowner (and it will be less maintenance for us in the meantime). I am ashamed to say that I had no idea how bad Mom's backyard had gotten. I knew it was overgrown, but I have no reason to go back there, and it just wasn't on my radar. I'm very interested in what the landscaper coming out on Thursday says. The only thing I didn't like about the guy yesterday was that he also does concrete leveling, and kept pointing out areas of the driveway and back patio to be leveled.

KPH
April 11th, 2018, 08:33 AM
One down, right!

I wasn't impressed with the electrician that came out yesterday. I guess since DH was such a handy man, I know enough to listen well and let my 'spidey senses' help me judge. DS#2 asked what the guy said, I told him that while he was nice, I didn't trust him. It was hard to verbalize why, it was just little things he said and his mannerisms.

One thing was that was a biggie- he didn't think having the lights hardwired in without a box was a big deal... but it wasn't code. Alright, codes are minimums for safety, in my mind if they're not followed- it's not right, nor safe. I remember several times DH was fussing about how the house passed any inspections during building.

The other- he was going to have to go home and research about what he saw.

Yeah, I'm not thinking too highly of that guy.

Cathy F
April 11th, 2018, 09:31 AM
We had a big snow about a month ago and our next door neighbor skidded on ice in her driveway and ran into our fence and took two panels out. We had a very hard time to find someone to even come and give us an estimate for the job. When we told them what we needed some more politely than others the job was too small to even bother to come. We finally found one company that just came a few days ago and measured the job, now we're waiting for them to call with the estimate.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
April 11th, 2018, 09:44 AM
One down, right!

I wasn't impressed with the electrician that came out yesterday. I guess since DH was such a handy man, I know enough to listen well and let my 'spidey senses' help me judge. DS#2 asked what the guy said, I told him that while he was nice, I didn't trust him. It was hard to verbalize why, it was just little things he said and his mannerisms.

One thing was that was a biggie- he didn't think having the lights hardwired in without a box was a big deal... but it wasn't code. Alright, codes are minimums for safety, in my mind if they're not followed- it's not right, nor safe. I remember several times DH was fussing about how the house passed any inspections during building.

The other- he was going to have to go home and research about what he saw.

Yeah, I'm not thinking too highly of that guy.

Whoa! Sounds like too many red flags. You may want to ask to see his electrical license. I know that many insurance companies are now requesting proof that any additional work is done by certified tradesmen. I guess there are too many claims as a result of non-licensed contractors. Trust your spider sense.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
April 11th, 2018, 09:51 AM
Well, at least your DH's will allow contractors. Mine insists we can do anything. We are planning on a major remodel of our back bedroom whose floor joist has broken. IT will require removing the entire floor and jacking up the house to put the new joist in. Then we will install an outside door where the window was , install hardwood floors, and as long as we are doing all that, I'm requesting a closet!!

DH is the same but not with such ambitious projects. Little things he hasn't got to, in the 8 years we have been here. Some were identified as critical by home inspector, we had done, but the other items, he just says he can do that. Many of them, I have tackled, but then required physio and massage. So I figure if I hurt myself now, it's going to be with me til I die, so it's about saving my body.

With this winter's and previous years back issues, I am loosing patience, and getting quotes to get them done. He hates to pay for something, he could have done years ago. I think it highlights the fact that he is getting older, and this frustrates him. The problem is the attitude of companies who only want big jobs. Little do they realize that we won't recommend them to people we know need big jobs. They lose.