PDA

View Full Version : So frustrated with Microsoft!

JCY
April 9th, 2018, 07:20 PM
I logged on this afternoon to my laptop & discovered MS has been messing with the settings & page layout again! It looks like I lost almost everything on the tool/task bar. All my links are gone from my Favorites, & the sizes of everything were miniscule. I had to re-set to a larger zoom size so I can even read things! Outlook was changed up somewhat, too. I hate it when they mess with things. What irks me the most is losing all my Favorites. I'll have to re-do all of those! -- If I can even remember who all I had listed there. I had all my favorite quilting bloggers, etc. & web sites I regularly visit. Grr! My first clue that something was different was the message that popped up when the lap top was booting: "Preparing your desktop." I had never seen that before. Also, a window popped up about Windows 11. Am I going to have to go with all those pop-up ads for W-11 like we did for 10, which I never wanted?Well, I guess I'll have to get to work & re-do my Favorites.

Anybody else notice changes on their computers?

Carolyn
April 9th, 2018, 07:29 PM
By any chance do you have a backup? DH says there is no Windows 11. Check security settings also.

BarbaraB
April 9th, 2018, 08:30 PM
Ditto...there is no Windows 11. Have you considered a system restore? A windows update should not mess with your data or settings like that.

Mischiefkat1
April 9th, 2018, 08:32 PM
Joy, I sympathize with your computer problems. I had pretty much the same thing happen to me. My problem occurred every time I had an update. Finally, the fool thing "reset" itself. I haven't had any problems for awhile now but, I'm not holding my breathe. I did see your thread about all the ad's pop ups you have. There is a free program called "ad blocker" that you can get that will stop the ads' etc. Wish you the best finding all your stuff. Kathy

CraftyBarb
April 9th, 2018, 08:42 PM
What I do with my bookmarks and or favorites is do a screen print of them and save it to a word file. This way if something happens on my PC I will have a copy of what I bookmarked. I do update it now and then when I add or delete the bookmarks. It saves me time trying to remember what I had. I also hate when I am on a site looking at something it then those items appear on any other sites I go on. I checked in the setting and selected not to track the sites but they still do it.

Hulamoon
April 9th, 2018, 08:47 PM
There is sure a lot of buzz out there about it.

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=6_XLWp_2CurQjwSa-4_gAQ&q=windows+11+release+date&oq=windows+11&gs_l=psy-ab.1.1.0l10.1028.5826.0.9773.1

jjkaiser
April 9th, 2018, 09:27 PM
I am having trouble with my Internet Explorer. Yes I am still using Windows XP but dang it I do not want to have to set up a new computer. There is only one website that I have to use IE for, for work, I use Firefox for everything else. I can't upgrade to a newer version of IE unless I upgrade my computer to Windows 7, which would mean having to back up every file and reinstall all my programs again ---exactly what I was trying to avoid. Grrrrr is right!!!

Hulamoon
April 9th, 2018, 10:43 PM
Well I just got the pop up and have gotten them before and didn't notice it was for W-11. Now I can't get it off. What a coincidence.

grammaterry
April 10th, 2018, 12:17 AM
I think you can go into your restore area and restore to the day before the updates. That should bring back your favorites.

MHG Winnower
April 10th, 2018, 08:09 AM
I am having trouble with my Internet Explorer. Yes I am still using Windows XP but dang it I do not want to have to set up a new computer. There is only one website that I have to use IE for, for work, I use Firefox for everything else. I can't upgrade to a newer version of IE unless I upgrade my computer to Windows 7, which would mean having to back up every file and reinstall all my programs again ---exactly what I was trying to avoid. Grrrrr is right!!!

Be very careful. WINDOWS XP NO MORE SECURITY PATCHES. When Windows XP Support ends in April, it means that Microsoft will no longer be issuing any security updates for this operating system. You'll still be able to download and update patches up to this date, but if a new flaw in the operating system is discovered, it will go unpatched ...Jun 2, 2014

JCY
April 10th, 2018, 09:11 AM
Weirdest thing! Today everything is back to normal. No boxes on the desk top. My Favorites list is back. My task bar items are back. Yest. I could not access Word -- no docs or pics. I should have said Internet Explorer 11, not Windows. Last year we put a program called "Never 10" on my laptop so I'd quit getting those pop-ups for 10. One time it started to install without my permission. I nixed that in a hurry. I still will go to computer lab on Fri. to have the guys check out my laptop to make sure things are ok.

KPH
April 10th, 2018, 09:21 AM
Glad your stuff came back. I've had weird stuff happen like that (knock on wood) hoping it doesn't start up again. This laptop has been weird from the get go. I've often said, I want my old vista desktop back!

Nwmnteacher
April 10th, 2018, 09:22 AM
This is why we're an Apple family.

nativetexan
April 10th, 2018, 05:29 PM
I do not like MS doing things on my computer without asking me. they installed Windows 10 for me. no problems though. so that was good. I still don't use half of what it came with!! you shouldn't have to reload anything.