PDA

View Full Version : Hey hey it's a Monday

Monique
April 9th, 2018, 07:56 AM

Good morning friends. I hope you all had a great weekend. By now I am sure you have heard about the terribly tragedy that happened to Humboldt Broncos. I can not fathom what these families are experiencing. I just read about one young man taken off life support after donating his organs, which in turn will help 6 people.

I had an okay weekend. I finished a tote bag for my sister-in-law for the birthday which is today. Saturday we didn't go to the city but did attend a wake for a dear friend who passed away suddenly in his sleep.

Yesterday we did make it to the Antique Vintage market. I ended up buying myself a beautiful ruby silver ring for my birthday. Les bought himself a few small items. We stopped for lunch and then headed home. While out and about, I noticed that my purse is letting go.

SO, can you guess what I will be working on in the coming days? I think I have decided on a pattern, not sure about the fabric yet.

I have been going through all the free patterns on Craftsy this morning. So many to download. Check them out if you haven't already.

Les works all week, so that gives me lots of time to myself this week. I really also need to do our taxes and I can't be disturbed while doing those. Tomorrow is supposed to be a quilting bee for Victoria's Quilts and Guild in the afternoon. I have a busy week ahead.

Have a great day everyone.

Blondie
April 9th, 2018, 08:25 AM

Hello Folksies!

Monique, I have been so sad for the tragedy. Am I correct in that one mother lost her 3 sons? It breaks my heart! So very sad.

The past week was nutsy for me schedule wise and this week will be the same, just a different week. Today I need to go to the city with Mom for an eye dr appt. Her dr has retired so we have to have a first visit with a new one. There has been much road work in the past year on the highway between us and the city. I hate to have to travel it. It can be very confusing. Needs must and all that. At least I think it won't be raining hard, just sprinkle and clouds. We did have sleet, snow and rain Sat night and calling for it again tonite, Nothing was sticking, just a nuisance. Good snuggle weather!

I have been able to sit and stitch a few blocks at a time. Nothing in particular, just 4 patch, 9 patch, strips - just something to help me remember how to sew, lol! I did download some patterns for an 18 inch doll. My grand Eleanor has an American Girl dollie and I would like to make her some outfits. Wish I was lucid and could concentrate on the nights I can't sleep. LOL. I could be a cast member of the Walking Dead.

Have a great day!

Monique
April 9th, 2018, 08:34 AM

Hello Folksies!

Monique, I have been so sad for the tragedy. Am I correct in that one mother lost her 3 sons? It breaks my heart! So very sad.

The past week was nutsy for me schedule wise and this week will be the same, just a different week. Today I need to go to the city with Mom for an eye dr appt. Her dr has retired so we have to have a first visit with a new one. There has been much road work in the past year on the highway between us and the city. I hate to have to travel it. It can be very confusing. Needs must and all that. At least I think it won't be raining hard, just sprinkle and clouds. We did have sleet, snow and rain Sat night and calling for it again tonite, Nothing was sticking, just a nuisance. Good snuggle weather!

I have been able to sit and stitch a few blocks at a time. Nothing in particular, just 4 patch, 9 patch, strips - just something to help me remember how to sew, lol! I did download some patterns for an 18 inch doll. My grand Eleanor has an American Girl dollie and I would like to make her some outfits. Wish I was lucid and could concentrate on the nights I can't sleep. LOL. I could be a cast member of the Walking Dead.

Have a great day!

One mother and her family billeted 3 players from that team.

shermur
April 9th, 2018, 08:43 AM
Morning, all.

Yes, Monique.....I heard the sad story of the collision on the news Sunday morning and couldn't believe it. Thoughts and prayers go out to all the families to has affected.

Hopefully, today will be the end to the car crash nightmare! We found a car Saturday and we should be picking it up this evening. I pray I never have to deal with that again!

Step-daughter kicked her soon-to-be ex-husband out of the house last Friday night; DH and I have been trying to help her establish new locks on the house and getting her life re-organized with the 3 grandsons. This includes the 3 year old holy terror that will need massive restructure.

This past weekend was the Festival of Quilts that my quilt guild hosted here in Rutland. So many beautiful quilts. I felt quite guilty I did not get my four done; the car accident totally consumed my life and I just couldn't focus to finish. Not to mention, how compromised all the "babysitting" that had to be done throughout the whole process! So, I did donate a lot of time to the set-up of the show, and volunteered for at least 3 show activities. Then, yesterday one of the show chairpeople asked if I wanted to have an opportunity as a guild board member? I told her I would give it some thought.....not sure yet.

Bubby
April 9th, 2018, 08:44 AM
Morning Everyone...We heard about the tragedy. It makes you shake your head in disbelief. Our thoughts and prayers are with the families, victims, and everyone impacted by this event.

We had the biggest snow of the Winter yesterday. The ground is so warm it melted away but we got about two inches of beautiful big snowflakes before meltdown. Now let's get back to the business of Spring.

I have to make a quick run into town for bread and milk. I would like to make quilt blocks all day. I think I have about 30 done, trimmed and pressed. There's a huge amount of fussy work on them.

Wishing every one a good Monday with hugs.

JCY
April 9th, 2018, 09:08 AM
Good Morning ~ What a delightful, inspiring day I had yest. The Liberty Quartet concert in the a.m. at another local church. (No connection with Liberty College.) Their base singer was absent; his dad passed away Easter Sun.; the funeral was Sat. But the other 3 guys did a fantastic job. The music really lifted my spirits. I had a long chat with the bus driver, who mentioned he used to live right next door to the Gaithers in IN.

Nine of us left in the church van at 3:30 to drive to SW Denver for the Gaither Vocal Band concert, which started at 6 p.m. We got in line ~4:40; doors didn't open till 5. By the time we started to move towards the door, the line behind us stretched a long ways. There were similar lines at other doors. It was very windy & blustery during our wait. Some folks weren't even wearing a coat or sweater. However, it was a nice day, & the temp. got up to 72 deg. The center section of the sanctuary was reserved for those who paid more for their tickets. We sat left of center, which probably was good; we didn't get so blasted by the speakers. Two other artists were with the Gaither Vocal Band: Charlotte Ritchie & Gene McDonald. I like Gene's music (deep base). I met him & talked with him at the intermission & bought his latest CD. I already have his 4 other CDs. I bought 3 of the Gaither VB's CDs. Including the intermission, the concert lasted 3 hrs. Bill Gaither definitely is looking older. He's 82 now. He & Gloria have blessed the world with so much wonderful gospel music. It was 9:20 by the time we pulled out of the parking lot. The ride home went faster than the trip down -- less traffic. It was 10:30 when I walked in the door at home. I didn't get to bed until 11:10, so it was a short night. I slept like a log. This a.m. DH said he did okay getting himself to bed, etc. He really was dreading my being gone in the evening.

No more time now.

Monique
April 9th, 2018, 10:30 AM
Morning, all.

Yes, Monique.....I heard the sad story of the collision on the news Sunday morning and couldn't believe it. Thoughts and prayers go out to all the families to has affected.

Hopefully, today will be the end to the car crash nightmare! We found a car Saturday and we should be picking it up this evening. I pray I never have to deal with that again!

Step-daughter kicked her soon-to-be ex-husband out of the house last Friday night; DH and I have been trying to help her establish new locks on the house and getting her life re-organized with the 3 grandsons. This includes the 3 year old holy terror that will need massive restructure.

This past weekend was the Festival of Quilts that my quilt guild hosted here in Rutland. So many beautiful quilts. I felt quite guilty I did not get my four done; the car accident totally consumed my life and I just couldn't focus to finish. Not to mention, how compromised all the "babysitting" that had to be done throughout the whole process! So, I did donate a lot of time to the set-up of the show, and volunteered for at least 3 show activities. Then, yesterday one of the show chairpeople asked if I wanted to have an opportunity as a guild board member? I told her I would give it some thought.....not sure yet.

I say GO FOR IT Sherri.

RockinLou
April 9th, 2018, 10:48 AM
My day is winding down here, it was a Monday, and I've got an awkward balance going on at work, where we have 11 weeks of school left, and I have about 9 weeks of curriculum left to deliver... so I'm trying really hard not to rush and end up with 3 weeks of nothing at the end! There will be interruptions for standardized testing, field trips, concerts, art shows and whatnot, so I'm not too worried.... but I still have too many study halls in a week for 10 year olds, so I've decided that we will learn how to play checkers and chess. Can you believe that only 2 of my 14 students knew how to play checkers??? Crazy!! I'll keep it up as long as they are interested in it, and nobody complains about it. I have a new student who has absolutely ZERO English, so it really helps to engage her in activities alongside others when I can, and my student who was absolutely beyond control the first 1/2 of the year is finally mellowed enough that he can function and take turns in a game without going completely off kilter (he is an extreme and special case, he has a 1:1 aide, and I worry about him deeply, so the fact that he can play checkers is HUGE)

I got home after a faculty meeting tonight and cooked dinner with DH, stir fry was on the menu because I picked up some nice beef strips yesterday. We sat down to a warm meal with kids who ate everything and had one of those "it really can get easier" moments where our kids are out from underfoot, but sit down and eat. Then we went out for a quick walk after cleaning up from dinner. The kids are also old enough to stay home for a short stretch while we walk around campus on our own. I'm sure glad we survived the 3s & 4s because the 7s & 9s are treating us well!!

My sewing machine is back from the service tech and sounding sooo much better. I'm going to prep some fabric this evening for my next quilting project, but it's not likely I'll get around to sewing it before the weekend.

grammaterry
April 9th, 2018, 11:09 AM
Oh boy, its dreary and rainy and cold (40) again today. Suppose to be warm on Thursday. The barometer has me as dizzy as a duck and I can't get myself motivated this morning so here I am, strolling along the old forum getting ambitious.
Yesterday I finished DD's quilt for her birthday April 30 and started FMQ on more Shriner quilts that are waiting. THey are coming along well. I'm wanting to try that carpenter star with those turnovers I've had in the stash for years...but alas, the cathedral window isn't even half done....
Made a turkey on Saturday and that kept DH happy all day yesterday. Last night he ate one hot turkey sandwich and 3 cold turkey sandwiches. Amazing when he likes something how much he will eat but if he doesn't, he just goes without. I guess that's how he stays so skinny. Me, I feel like if I cooked it I have to eat it until its gone. Reminds me of the Ol, Jack Sprat jingle when I was a kid.
So many tragedys on the news. I can't say one is worse than another. THe victims all belong to mothers who really care about them, but it is a huge loss for that team. I heard the driver was high on something and that, of course, makes it a double tragedy that it possibly didn't have to happen. We must tell our children and grandchildren that no matter who is driving and what kind of authority that we perceive them to have, if we suspect they are under the influence of anything, we must not get in the vehicle with them.

Monique
April 9th, 2018, 12:29 PM
Oh boy, its dreary and rainy and cold (40) again today. Suppose to be warm on Thursday. The barometer has me as dizzy as a duck and I can't get myself motivated this morning so here I am, strolling along the old forum getting ambitious.
Yesterday I finished DD's quilt for her birthday April 30 and started FMQ on more Shriner quilts that are waiting. THey are coming along well. I'm wanting to try that carpenter star with those turnovers I've had in the stash for years...but alas, the cathedral window isn't even half done....
Made a turkey on Saturday and that kept DH happy all day yesterday. Last night he ate one hot turkey sandwich and 3 cold turkey sandwiches. Amazing when he likes something how much he will eat but if he doesn't, he just goes without. I guess that's how he stays so skinny. Me, I feel like if I cooked it I have to eat it until its gone. Reminds me of the Ol, Jack Sprat jingle when I was a kid.
So many tragedys on the news. I can't say one is worse than another. THe victims all belong to mothers who really care about them, but it is a huge loss for that team. I heard the driver was high on something and that, of course, makes it a double tragedy that it possibly didn't have to happen. We must tell our children and grandchildren that no matter who is driving and what kind of authority that we perceive them to have, if we suspect they are under the influence of anything, we must not get in the vehicle with them.

Terry, I haven't heard any such thing about the driver. The investigators are still trying to establish what happened.

KPH
April 9th, 2018, 03:06 PM
Well, it's afternoon and morning with the grands went well. Mike went back to bed and slept until 12:30 when I got him up to take them back to Nana and Nandy's.

I'm going to see if I can safely clip some of those hour glass points. I've written the church secretary to see if she has any details. I don't know the family at all, so this is a total shot in the dark.

Mike's doing his laundry, I'll have to do mine tomorrow. Sometime I'll have to figure out what we're having for family dinner this week, lol, before Wednesday anyway.

Prayers for those in need for healing touches, and comforting support. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
April 9th, 2018, 10:42 PM
It's was an early start and a busy day. Finally setting down to catch up.
I stripped the bed sheet, and made a few loads of laundry this morning, while I continue to sew sashings on Ombre Gelato. I also had to pack up my sewing gear to head out to Victoria Quilts. I picked up a chicken Shawarma to eat before everyone got there. DH doesn't digest the garlic, so we rarely pick that up. Happy to enjoy. I got very pretty fabric his month to make a rail fence. Fushia, pink mottled with green and yellow and a bright green. Feels very springing. I got all the blocks and just a few more rows to sew and add border. I bring it home to finish. I also picked up a quilt top made by one of the home sewers, and I will quilt and finish this month. The colours are pretty. I will post when I get a chance.

I picked up a few groceries as the group meets in the community room of the grocery store. A nice big bright room. I made veal tacos and rice. Then I called a friend who just got home Friday from spending 6 months in For Myers, Florida. They hit really snowy bad weather, most of the way home. I told her we didn't have any of this stuff hitting the east coast. She doesn't believe me, as It has been colder in April than it was all of March. I also spoke to my other friend who did road trip on Saturday. She fell on the sidewalk, and has had sore shoulder since. A few more days and she will get checked out.

Tomorrow will be another busy day. Oestopath for myself, drop off boxes of items for charity sale. Drive DH to osteopath and then to work to pick up his man bag with wallet, drivers license. Argg. Oh well, since I am driving, I will bring him to window / door showroom. Then rush across town, back home to pick up my gf for guild meeting. Wednesday has to be a rest day, or I will pass out.

Happy surprise, I got a delivery from M*QC, with the new Mod Block and a few back issues of Block. Nice new charm packs and yardage from Me & My Sister. I should have enough to pick one of their quilts to make. I have ruler and book.

Good night ladies.