PDA

View Full Version : Men!

tamsterg7
February 10th, 2012, 11:35 PM
My Dh is building me a sewing room - very sweet. Tonight we went to Lowes to see if they had desk height cabinets. Dh knows I loath the hardware store and it is a miracle that I went. Well, we were in there for about 5 minutes and I am looking at a cabinet and talking to him and turn around and he is gone! Like an alien spaceship plucked him up or something. 20 minutes later I see his little head bobbing away at the complete opposite end of the store! He just went to "check outsome stuff". I told him I would find what I want online and email him a pictur so he can order.

bec
February 10th, 2012, 11:42 PM
lol....I can see his head bobbing up and down. What a great description! But you've got to give him points for wanting to make you a sewing room. He just got a little distracted with all that men's stuff calling to him. :)

MRoy
February 10th, 2012, 11:48 PM
Think of it like this...It's better to have this kind of thing happen in Lowes than in Tractor Supply...there's more at Lowes that a gal might be interested in. Trust me...I know from experience! LOL!!

beadywoman
February 11th, 2012, 12:38 AM
I feel your pain! LOL! It reminds me of when my DH and I were building our house. After I would leave for work, he would take our daugher, then 4, to the hardware store. One day she said to me, "Mommy, I sure do hate the hard-a-ware store!" I think most women feel that way...

Dragonfly
February 11th, 2012, 05:14 AM
I'm not sure why but I love the hardware store, I have a similar problem with the office supply/stationery store, but in neither case quite as bad as the fabric store. The garden centre is also a trap for me along with electrical/computer types stores. What I hate are dress/clothing stores, there is nothing worse or more depressing. Perhaps I am not really female...but I do like fabric stores so maybe I'm safe.

rebeccas-sewing
February 11th, 2012, 07:22 AM
I hate shopping for clothes too, Lynn. Shopping with Joe in the hardware store is totally boring. I usually end up wandering around looking at the things that interest me. I don't usually lose him, though. It takes him FOREVER to find what he needs. I can leave him in an aisle and come back 10 minutes later and he's still there. It also doesn't hurt that he's 6'2" tall. He's hard to miss. I rarely ever go into a computer store with him - BORING!!!

Tamsterg - How wonderful he's willing to help build something for your sewing room! He's a keeper!

mamaquilt
February 11th, 2012, 09:29 AM
My Dh is building me a sewing room - very sweet. Tonight we went to Lowes to see if they had desk height cabinets. Dh knows I loath the hardware store and it is a miracle that I went. Well, we were in there for about 5 minutes and I am looking at a cabinet and talking to him and turn around and he is gone! Like an alien spaceship plucked him up or something. 20 minutes later I see his little head bobbing away at the complete opposite end of the store! He just went to "check outsome stuff". I told him I would find what I want online and email him a pictur so he can order.

Had my chuckle of the day reading this post.
You keep on ordering online! DH'll be receiving the bill.

Sharon G
February 11th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Lucky girl! A sewing room.
Just keep guiding DH in the right direction in the store and you'll soon have that little space of your own LOL

Lynn, I'm with you also. I think we must frequent the same stores. Stationery is my big downfall.
I must admit, shopping online is becoming my fav way to shop these days :)

tamsterg7
February 11th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Ok I feel better since most of you hate hardware stores too! And yes he is a keeper because my room is going to be wonderful. They were calling it the green room when the wallboard went up because it was mold resistant and green. Now that they have primed the walls they now call it the "mama cave".

a1angiem
February 11th, 2012, 11:09 AM
lol! we are all similar - isn't it funny? I too have a life-long problem with the office supply store and of course, on-line craft shopping! And I'm a disappointment to my girls, mother and sister, friends, because I HATE CLOTHES SHOPPING! I have a couple stores I visit once a year for white underwear, v-neck t-shirts and one pair of jeans! It's awful - I'd be the perfect person for what not to wear because I wear a tattered Grumpy (Disney) sweatshirt every day of my life! It's sad...but I'm happy at the sewing machine and I do feed them...:)

(Ha!ha! Just noted I'm WEARING the Grumpy sweatshirt in my little avatar!)

Nena
February 11th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Oh my gosh---I can so relate. I hate to shop for clothes, I had to have to pick out something to wear that is different from the day before. I am lucky that when I go to work, that it is super early and no one will see me and then I get to change into scrubs there. My husband is the same way in a store that he likes---just walks away when I am not looking and leaves me there looking like a fool. At least he is trying to be nice and make you a sewing room---I agree--order on line and give him the bill.

Sandy Navas
February 11th, 2012, 01:38 PM
What a hoot to read this thread. My husband used to tell everyone that he was the luckiest man in the world because his wife would rather go to a hardware store than a jewelry store - and that's the truth.

My favorite places to hang out????

Fabric Stores - always hit the mark-downs and remnants first
Office & Stationary Supply (I have a thing for pencils, art supplies and PAPER)
Hardware - even the tool sections - I do woodworking and maintenance around the house or it wouldn't get done
THRIFT Stores & Second-Hand Stores
Any place with Housewares
Discount stores (READ Dollar Tree, etc)

My hate list includes clothing stores - although I am learning to pay more for better quality and leave the $1 t-shirts behind
Shoe stores (although I used to love them when I was working - and still had the figure to wear heels - given I USED to be 5'11" that was a hoot . . . me in 4 inch heels)
WAL-MART . . . although sometimes I just have to give in

AND I LOVE TO GO GROCERY SHOPPING - send me your list!!!!

Sandy Navas
February 11th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Tam - Good luck with the sewing room!!! And CONGRATULATIONS (not just on finding your husband).

mommadeb
February 11th, 2012, 02:15 PM
I LOVE hardware stores too. I hate clothing shopping. Office supply stores are boring but I could spend hours in fabric stores. My DH is very patient when we are in the States and I'm shopping. I think they need seating for husbands in fabric stores though, maybe a little coffee area. I do easily loose him in stores though. Many things are new to him since he's not from the US and he easily wanders off. That's ok too though, I'm glad he enjoys himself.

Dragonfly
February 12th, 2012, 12:42 AM
I think they need seating for husbands in fabric stores though, maybe a little coffee area.
My LQS is quite unique in this respect, not only does it have nice sitting area with 'blokey' magazines but it also has a wine tasting area since the owner also has vineyards. Happen the husbands are garden oriented, there is a rose garden with literally hundreds of different rose varieties and an orchard that customers can wander in and sample whatever is in season. The principle is that a happy husband won't look at his watch or mind the credit card. =)

PS I forgot to say that there is also a purpose built quilt gallery with a full kitchen area with tea/coffee and biscuits laid on, we are very spoilt.

jingleme
February 12th, 2012, 04:20 AM
My LQS is quite unique in this respect, not only does it have nice sitting area with 'blokey' magazines but it also has a wine tasting area since the owner also has vineyards. Happen the husbands are garden oriented, there is a rose garden with literally hundreds of different rose varieties and an orchard that customers can wander in and sample whatever is in season. The principle is that a happy husband won't look at his watch or mind the credit card. =)

PS I forgot to say that there is also a purpose built quilt gallery with a full kitchen area with tea/coffee and biscuits laid on, we are very spoilt.

Now, THIS is the way to sell fabric!!! A little wi fi thrown into the mix & it might get really difficult to get anyone to leave the store at quitting time...

Sandy, my list would look exactly like yours! But more & more my favorite places to shop are on line. Found some awesome woodworking sites on line....& ebay, etsy, & craigslist are rearing their ugly heads more & more. :0

Sandy Navas
February 12th, 2012, 12:27 PM
I think I'm moving to Aussieville and going shopping with Lynn . . .

lawork1211
February 12th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Are you my long lost twin??? That is mine exactly, with the small exception of moving up the hardware store above Office supply. I LOVE grocery shopping (with coupons for everything!)
Clothing is a necessary evil on rare occasions. I am color blind. Coordinating fabric for a quilt is bad enough, but clothes, forget about it! Black pants (go with everything) and only black and white socks. Anything else is picked out by someone else.

lawork1211
February 12th, 2012, 09:30 PM
What a hoot to read this thread. My husband used to tell everyone that he was the luckiest man in the world because his wife would rather go to a hardware store than a jewelry store - and that's the truth.

My favorite places to hang out????

Fabric Stores - always hit the mark-downs and remnants first
Office & Stationary Supply (I have a thing for pencils, art supplies and PAPER)
Hardware - even the tool sections - I do woodworking and maintenance around the house or it wouldn't get done
THRIFT Stores & Second-Hand Stores
Any place with Housewares
Discount stores (READ Dollar Tree, etc)

My hate list includes clothing stores - although I am learning to pay more for better quality and leave the $1 t-shirts behind
Shoe stores (although I used to love them when I was working - and still had the figure to wear heels - given I USED to be 5'11" that was a hoot . . . me in 4 inch heels)
WAL-MART . . . although sometimes I just have to give in

AND I LOVE TO GO GROCERY SHOPPING - send me your list!!!!
Are you my long lost twin??? That is mine exactly, with the small exception of moving up the hardware store above Office supply. I LOVE grocery shopping (with coupons for everything!)
Clothing is a necessary evil on rare occasions. I am color blind. Coordinating fabric for a quilt is bad enough, but clothes, forget about it! Black pants (go with everything) and only black and white socks. Anything else is picked out by someone else.

tamsterg7
February 13th, 2012, 12:20 AM
Sandy - I have a GPS and can find Country Club MO! - and you can do my grocery shopping! I don't really mind the shopping part - I just hate to pack it in the house, put it all away and then get it all back out again to cook it! My boys (DH and DS) are very spoiled and love my cooking. So when I go out of town for work I cook and freeze meals for them before I leave. I will be in WI for a spell (MO & WI are my territory - funny cause there is a state in between them!), so today I spent 9 hrs with my Freezer Pleaser cookbook and have them all set for 7+ days of dinners. And in return for beings such a good wife/mom - I get a WOMAN CAVE - aka sewing room! (Just kidding - I would cook for them even if they weren't building the woman cave)

Sandy Navas
February 13th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Tammy, have you seen the e-mail about "Yup, I wanna be a bear!"? You've given me an idea . . . I'm going to start calling my sewing room the Bear Cave . . .

GrammaBabs
February 13th, 2012, 11:58 AM
You all are a riot... YES,, grocery shopping is first with me... DH says,,, "how much food do we need".... ok,,, i worked for a Grocery Chain here in MA,,, for 17 yrs.. started as a cashier and ended up in the buying office... here's my rule,,, if it's on the front page, and something you want,, buy bulk,, it's usually the best price.. meat especially,, but compare flyers... we get about 5.. then i pick the store that has other items i want that week at the best price, along with the "meat deal"... and that's my shopping... i do not do a "week's" groceries... just the good deals (ie... freezer (small separate unit) it too full and have to dig... but i can't resist it.. Like to cook,, and hate clothes shopping (how do you fit a chubby, chesty, not quite 5'1" girl who suffers 2 days after wearing heels for one night... DH likes B's... but no matter how big they get, the belly just keeps up... (stomach surgery did me in).... LOL
ok ladies... TMI... but could not resist answering the "grocery shopping" club!!! Barbara
ps... most other items on the list are bought at Walmart... sorry girls if the quality is good and taste good... i go where it is...:)
i know enough about "own label" not to fall for the Brand Name scheme..