• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mommadeb
    Missouri Star
    • Dec 2011

Shaking My Head...

How do people get by in life with no common sense? Often they say and do things that just make you shake your head and think-do you tie your own shoes?

In the past three days, from the same person (my Step D), who is 35 years old.

First, we are in the grocery store and she asks me if I need some milk. I said yes.
    Her: Do you want lactose free?
    Me: No, regular 2%.
    Her: Why? It tastes the same.
    Me: No but if you need it. Do you need it?
    Her: No. I bought it for my daughter.
    Me: Does she need it?
    Her: No, but it tastes better. I shook my head.

Then, when we get to our cabin, she is down in the kitchen eating some seasame crackers with cheese. That is fine.
    I said nothing to her and she asked if I wanted to try one. I said yes.
    Her: I eat these because I don't want to eat so much bread. It makes me feel gassy.
    Me: Ok.
    Later on, that same day and for the past two days, you know what she's eating instead of a meal?? Bread, butter and cheese. She has gone through almost a whole loaf of bread herself and one other pack of specialty bread.

Last night after dinner, she was going to do dishes and was running the water to wait for hot water to come up. I just grabbed the tea kettle and put water on the woodstove, like I always do for hot water. She looks at me oddly.
    Her: Are you making hot water?
    Me: Yes, to do the dishes.
    Her: Oh. Then you can do them then.
    Me: Why? Is the water too hot for you?
    Her: Yes.
    Me: Just add some cold water to cool it a bit.
    Her: Stares at me blankly and goes upstairs. She had no clue.

And today:
    Her: I didn't want to do any breakfast dishes because I didn't want to wake my dad up. (Our kitchen here is downstairs at the opposite end from the bedrooms).
    Me: He wouldn't hear it. It would have been ok.
    Her: But every noise he wakes up.
    Me: You could have done the dishes (2 bowls and 2 spoons that were hers).
    Her: Oh. And walks away.
    She is the same person, that in the bedroom next to ours, will listen to You Tube videos on loud when we are in bed. I guess her dad won't wake up with those....

And last. Her diet consists of candy, mostly gummy bears and such, chocolate milk, bread, butter and cheese, and carbonated flavored water. She rarely cooks for herself. (I'm quite glad that her daughter is living with her father).
    So, we sat down at the table to each lunch and my DH and I eat egg salad sandwiches. She, eats a 125gm bag of gummy bears and carbonated water. Then she eats some bread and cheese. Good grief! I said, why don't you make yourself something to eat if you are hungry? She says she is not hungry anymore. I just want sugar. Three hours later and she is hungry again, and this time it is chocolate milk and cookies. No real food.

She came up to our cabin with us for the Easter holiday and it has been a long three days so far. We go home on Monday. My DH also says it has been a long couple days.

Oh, oh. And today also. Our friend dropped off some fresh greenhouse tomatoes and my DH offered her some. She said, "No. I'm allergic to them." I'm like wha???????? The night before she had eaten hot dogs with tons of ketchup and I've seen her eat tomatoes in salad.

Yes, she lives on her own and she can cook but it is easier to buy candy, bread and cheese.

Sorry, I needed to blow off some steam before I let go on her.
  • auntstuff
    Missouri Star
    • Nov 2017

Re: Shaking My Head...

Pre-diabetic?
    She who dies with the most quilts is......
    Still dead.
    What's your hurry?

Comment

• JulieC
      Missouri Star
      • Dec 2016

You are not alone. My mom tells anyone who will listen that she is a vegetarian. Years ago, we went to the Cheesecake Factory for my birthday. The menu there is huge. Mom had a hard time deciding, so she told the waiter she was a vegetarian. The waiter was all helpful, and told her he was too, and after the rest of us ordered he would help her navigate the menu. We ordered, and the waiter starts to show her some of the vegetarian options. Mom says to him, "No, that's ok. I think I'll just have the cheeseburger with mushrooms." The poor guy's mouth fell to the floor! To this day, my mom is the only vegetarian I know whose favorite food is hamburgers!

Comment

• Rhonda K
        Missouri Star
        • Jan 2017

She's 35 so no worries if she doesn't figure out life (eating). Don't engage her. Do what makes "you" happy not her. LOL

Enjoy your Easter!

PS: big hugs dealing with her.
        Just one more stitch...

Comment

• KPH
          Missouri Star
          • Feb 2015

I have a niece that was the same way. Oh my, the things she would eat and have the nerve to complain about her weight. Bless her heart, her oldest is a senior in high school and she's preggers in her 40s. Just praying that she's finally grown up.
          Katrina
          From NC, retired in FL
          “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• mommadeb
            Missouri Star
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by auntstuff View Post
            Pre-diabetic?
            Believe it or not. Recent blood tests say no.

Comment

• mommadeb
              Missouri Star
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by JulieC View Post
              You are not alone. My mom tells anyone who will listen that she is a vegetarian. Years ago, we went to the Cheesecake Factory for my birthday. The menu there is huge. Mom had a hard time deciding, so she told the waiter she was a vegetarian. The waiter was all helpful, and told her he was too, and after the rest of us ordered he would help her navigate the menu. We ordered, and the waiter starts to show her some of the vegetarian options. Mom says to him, "No, that's ok. I think I'll just have the cheeseburger with mushrooms." The poor guy's mouth fell to the floor! To this day, my mom is the only vegetarian I know whose favorite food is hamburgers!
              Oh my gosh. That is kind of like the girl that told me once that she eats nothing animal related except milk and eggs. Another head scratcher moment for sure.

Comment

• Carolyn
                The Guild President
                • Jul 2013

My sister was born beautiful, I mean we would be out somewhere and men would trip over themselves watching her. Thankfully they never had to speak to her much. Common sense was something that never came her way! This conversation was from before microwaves and I was upstairs getting read for work.
                Her: How do you make a cup of tea?
                Me: Boil water on the stove and put a teabag in it.
                Her: Do you set the cup on the burner with the saucer
                Me: NO, you put water in a saucepan first!
                Her: Saucepan? Will it make my tea thicker?
                Me: NO, just boil the water
                Her: How do you tell when it's boiling?
                Me: Just stick you finger in it!!
                A few minutes later I hear screaming in the kitchen. I kid you not.
                One time during a phone conversation she mentions that she wishes I could see the beautiful moon that is out tonight. I mention that I can indeed see it. Oh, you have the same one?
                My favorite is when she called to tell me about her trip to Wisconsin. She stated that the man setting next to her was still laughing when they got off the plane. ( this was my clue to pull up a chair because this was going to be good) I just had to ask, why was he laughing? It seems this was her first flight. All was going well until the plane made a slight turn. She grabbed the arm of the man and asked what was wrong, were they going to crash? I guess he tried to explain in between her screams but did not have much luck. The stewardess came and explained but Janice wanted off the plane right then. After a few more explanations and a few alcoholic beverages she managed to make it through the flight. Somewhere in there was something about opening the plane door also. I never did understand that one. My question to her was, "What did you think, that maybe they take off at whatever angle gets them where they want to land?
                I understand that this is not the same as your situation, but hopefully you had a good laugh to make you feel better.
                sigpic

Comment

• Carlie Wolf
                  Missouri Star
                  • Oct 2013

What can you saying to a woman who will complain that her diets never work. Then you go out for a little while, come back and find that out of the two dozen donuts/hard rolls you purchased for company later have disappeared and there are only 6 left? Don't they think someone might notice??
                  https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
                  Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

• JCY
                    Missouri Star
                    • Jul 2013

I guess common sense is not common. Mommadeb, if your dau. isn't diabetic, it's just a matter of time considering the way she's eating. No one gets away with eating like that all the time. It will eventually catch up once the pancreas wears out from her eating all those sweets.

Comment

• grammaterry
                      Missouri Star
                      • Dec 2015

One of my daughters is morbidly obese and has yoyo'd for years. SHe has finally (at 50) decided that she doesn't mind being fat. SHe had a physical and all is well...she is just fat...lots of energy though. SHe drinks about 10-15 coca colas a day. Once she came to visit and we just don't have those things on hand. And we live 35 miles from anywhere to get one. I thought she was going to go crazy. Next time she came she came with case of cola in hand. I figure if she could just give up that, she would be normal size in no time.
                      But the good news, ...she knows...she is smart, funny, beautiful...just fat!
                      success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
                      Terry of NC

Comment

• Hulamoon
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jul 2012

I would get so bored with that kind of eating. There are so many interesting things to eat. My spice cabinet is on steroids right now. lol
                        🌺 Lorie

Comment

• RockinLou
                          Missouri Star
                          • Oct 2014

That's not a lack of common sense, that's lazy!

Comment

• TMP
                            Missouri Star
                            • Apr 2014

I find it rather sad. I wonder if she has eaten this way her entire life.
                            Teresa
                            Pelham, Alabama
                            War Eagle!!!

Comment

• Iris Girl
                              Missouri Star
                              • Jan 2013

I have worked retail for over 30 years, and I can guarantee you there is a severe lack of common sense. I wish now I would have wrote all the stupid/silly/funny things customers have said. It would be a best seller in comedy lineup. Just when you think you heard it all, you hear another thing thats leaves you scratching your head. I sometimes wonder how they remember to breathe.
                              sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                              Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                              Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                              X