PDA

View Full Version : Storage Facilities?

Carolnnc
March 30th, 2018, 03:04 PM
So we're at the point of needing to move things out of house & crawl space so we can make the house look appealing to buyers.

I will have to get a unit that is temperature controlled so one of the containers that they drop off at your house won't work (no room for it anyway).

DH is worried about roaches & bedbugs getting into our stuff.

I just want to move this stuff out of my way so I can finish up before I lose my mind.

Can you guys weigh in with personal experience?

K. McEuen
March 30th, 2018, 03:57 PM
Look around in your area for storage units. Most will say whether or not they are temperature controlled. You probably have less of an insect problem with one that is controlled. Also, pack in plastic tubs, not cardboard. Bugs like cardboard. Most places will let you come in and see the units available. Take a can of Raid with you and spray the edges and the doorway threshold before you close it u. That should help keep out any little wanderers.

For any stored mattresses, you can buy appropriate size bags to cover them at a U-Haul place.

JCY
March 30th, 2018, 05:16 PM
If you rent a storage unit, make sure it isn't in a flood plain! We had a flood in our town in 2013, and damage was extensive at one of the storage places.

Carolnnc
March 30th, 2018, 05:21 PM
If you rent a storage unit, make sure it isn't in a flood plain! We had a flood in our town in 2013, and damage was extensive at one of the storage places.

Ouch! That was something I didn't even think about so many thanks for that advice. There's a brand new place between DH's job & our house so I'm thinking I'll check that one out tomorrow.

Carolnnc
March 30th, 2018, 05:31 PM
Look around in your area for storage units. Most will say whether or not they are temperature controlled. You probably have less of an insect problem with one that is controlled. Also, pack in plastic tubs, not cardboard. Bugs like cardboard. Most places will let you come in and see the units available. Take a can of Raid with you and spray the edges and the doorway threshold before you close it u. That should help keep out any little wanderers.

For any stored mattresses, you can buy appropriate size bags to cover them at a U-Haul place.

DH has grouched for years over the plastic bins & tubs I buy:-) Hopefully I won't have to buy many more containers. I had seen the mattress bags on Amazon but it will be easier to pick one up at the Uhaul.

Mimi_Howard
March 30th, 2018, 05:59 PM
In my small tiny bathroom and also in a storage unit I had rented I used damprid (I think that is the name of it). Dehumidifer, pulls the moisture out of air. I had items in tubs and also boxes.

Kgrammiecaz
March 30th, 2018, 06:09 PM
I have a small temp controlled unit that I need for a year. Its great. I have a small tub of dehumidifier. Its dry clean and cold. I have been there a couple times. I have never seen a bug of any sort anywhere. I did use plastic tubs for anything that needed packing. But I also have a few boxes. So far all is well. Since I know it will not be long term Im not worried.

Sandy Navas
March 30th, 2018, 06:22 PM
Having stored things for several years when we lived overseas, I'd advise you to make sure what you put in storage is something you truly need/want down the line - don't pay for things you are going to get rid of or may have to replace before you pull things out of storage . . . the above advice is great, too!

KPH
March 30th, 2018, 06:56 PM
We've used Extra Space Storage. They spray monthly, temperature controlled. They've always been really nice and helpful.

Carolnnc
March 30th, 2018, 09:24 PM
Having stored things for several years when we lived overseas, I'd advise you to make sure what you put in storage is something you truly need/want down the line - don't pay for things you are going to get rid of or may have to replace before you pull things out of storage . . . the above advice is great, too!

And therein lies the problem. I have cleaned & pared down ruthlessly with my belongings. I think I could be a minimalist with no problem. DH has slight hoarding tendencies & it is going to be a royal battle when he wants to store 3 Xmas reindeer that no longer light up, a 5 gallon bucket of rusty nails, an old stereo system & more. Y'all need to pray for him cause it's gonna be ugly:-)

JCY
March 30th, 2018, 10:20 PM
Damp Rid is an excellent product. We use it all the time in 2 rooms of our basement. It's amazing how much liquid collects in the bottom of the container, esp. in the summer time when we use the evaporative cooler. I buy the unscented one. I get the refill granules at our local Home Depot.

grammaterry
March 30th, 2018, 10:28 PM
Wow, Carolyn, our DH's must be brothers . Mine will never be able to move. He has his boy scout uniform from 60 years go, his military uniforms, his raincoats from the 60's , every gift anyone ever gave him, a weekly habit at Goodwill that always brings at least one item, and this doesn't account for all the stuff from the bar/restaurant that we brought here to store. 25 years ago we built a garage and I suggested we build a second story on it for a workshop...900 sq feet totally filled up...I don't know where the children used to sleep because those rooms are full. We just have to keep on living because we are too old to pack. lol

jjkaiser
March 30th, 2018, 10:30 PM
My dd had stuff in a storage unit and when they went to retrieve some things all their stuff was crawling with roaches. This was in Illinois, not in the south where roaches are more common. Idk if it was a temp controlled unit but they paid extra for some kind of insurance and when they tried to collect, found out insect damage or infestations were not covered, the management said how do we know you didn't bring those in with you. Most of the stuff was packed in cardboard boxes and large black plastic bags. She had to toss a lot of things, said she would never store anything ever again. It was a hard lesson learned.

Hulamoon
March 30th, 2018, 10:49 PM
And therein lies the problem. I have cleaned & pared down ruthlessly with my belongings. I think I could be a minimalist with no problem. DH has slight hoarding tendencies & it is going to be a royal battle when he wants to store 3 Xmas reindeer that no longer light up, a 5 gallon bucket of rusty nails, an old stereo system & more. Y'all need to pray for him cause it's gonna be ugly:-)

Having just gone through a little of this, could you talk him into a garage sale? I gave a car load, and it was full to the top, to my dd. She used it to go visit her boyfriends parents and friends on another island. Promise him he can buy what he wants after. lol

RockinLou
March 31st, 2018, 05:54 AM
I would find a very nice, temp controlled and clean unit. Then I'd only put in it what is absolutely necessary for moving forward. We have a unit because our condo has no basement, garage or attic and there are some things (like a Christmas tree) that just don't fit in our tiny condo with both kids. our unit is not large at all though, and we go through it annually.

If you're selling the house to downsize though, what are you going to do once you do that?

If what you really need is a storage unit for your DH to put his hoard in, then I wouldn't bother on a nice one if everything he's going to stick in there is not worth anything. I'd also recommend being real with him about it. My MIL saved everything, always, she thought she was leaving us a gold-mine. We made less money off the estate sale than it cost to hire the dumpsters to haul away the rest of the junk and her property is basically worthless. We've had a year of stress and anxiety with nothing gained but resentment that my DH was next of kin because she refused to write a will or name an executor. He begged her more than once not to leave it to him. It's been heartbreaking to watch him go through this estate, because it has been so hard on him when really he just wants to have good memories of his mother, not stress over her mess that she compiled over the past 50 years.

just thought I'd put another perspective out there.

Sandy Navas
March 31st, 2018, 09:20 AM

Oh, I would be laughing, if this wasn't so very, very familiar . . . prayers on-going.

Carolnnc
March 31st, 2018, 02:31 PM
Having just gone through a little of this, could you talk him into a garage sale? I gave a car load, and it was full to the top, to my dd. She used it to go visit her boyfriends parents and friends on another island. Promise him he can buy what he wants after. lol

I like the idea of telling him to just buy what he really wants after we move. The carrot & the stick!!!!!

Carolnnc
March 31st, 2018, 02:35 PM
Wow, Carolyn, our DH's must be brothers . Mine will never be able to move. He has his boy scout uniform from 60 years go, his military uniforms, his raincoats from the 60's , every gift anyone ever gave him, a weekly habit at Goodwill that always brings at least one item, and this doesn't account for all the stuff from the bar/restaurant that we brought here to store. 25 years ago we built a garage and I suggested we build a second story on it for a workshop...900 sq feet totally filled up...I don't know where the children used to sleep because those rooms are full. We just have to keep on living because we are too old to pack. lol

Yep, same here. If someone gave it to him it's still in this house. He has the crawl space, the garage, his closet & his bedside table and that's where I draw the line. He's learned if he puts anything down in the rest of the house it goes into the garbage or to Goodwill.

Carolnnc
March 31st, 2018, 02:40 PM
I would find a very nice, temp controlled and clean unit. Then I'd only put in it what is absolutely necessary for moving forward. We have a unit because our condo has no basement, garage or attic and there are some things (like a Christmas tree) that just don't fit in our tiny condo with both kids. our unit is not large at all though, and we go through it annually.

If you're selling the house to downsize though, what are you going to do once you do that?

If what you really need is a storage unit for your DH to put his hoard in, then I wouldn't bother on a nice one if everything he's going to stick in there is not worth anything. I'd also recommend being real with him about it. My MIL saved everything, always, she thought she was leaving us a gold-mine. We made less money off the estate sale than it cost to hire the dumpsters to haul away the rest of the junk and her property is basically worthless. We've had a year of stress and anxiety with nothing gained but resentment that my DH was next of kin because she refused to write a will or name an executor. He begged her more than once not to leave it to him. It's been heartbreaking to watch him go through this estate, because it has been so hard on him when really he just wants to have good memories of his mother, not stress over her mess that she compiled over the past 50 years.

just thought I'd put another perspective out there.

His mom is the same as your MIL. DH hasn't seen his childhood pictures EVER & I'm sure they are packed in a closet. She has a double wide trailer full of yard sale junk & things his brother gave her. You can hardly walk through her "gold mine." She was very quick to tell me the price his brother had paid for all the dolls she has in cabinets.
I told DH when she passes we are going to call 1-800-We Haul-It-Away & then ask the fire department it they want to use the structure as a control burn practice site.

dwil23
April 1st, 2018, 04:50 AM
I had my belongings stored in a climate controlled unit fro several years and no problems at all. This was one that was totally inside the building - no outside doors and was actually on the third floor.

Years ago, we had a unit that was a "drive up" with outside garage type doors on both ends of the unit. One night when we were there after dark I heard a noise and a mouse was coming over the top of the back door - I had not even realized it was not closed off above the doors!

RockinLou
April 1st, 2018, 12:54 PM
I told DH when she passes we are going to call 1-800-We Haul-It-Away & then ask the fire department it they want to use the structure as a control burn practice site.

my husband wanted to, but his brother insisted on the estate sale. that didn't happen for months, now we can't sell the house because of asbestos. The burn site isn't a bad idea, but this is too close to neighboring properties for that. Sad thing is, it was a beautiful victorian farmhouse with original wood on the interiors, but with the asbestos, electrical and roofing problems, it's not worth much and I'm sure whomever buys it (hopefully this spring) will most likely tear it down.

lots2do
April 4th, 2018, 08:53 PM
I had my belongings stored in a climate controlled unit fro several years and no problems at all. This was one that was totally inside the building - no outside doors and was actually on the third floor.

Years ago, we had a unit that was a "drive up" with outside garage type doors on both ends of the unit. One night when we were there after dark I heard a noise and a mouse was coming over the top of the back door - I had not even realized it was not closed off above the doors!

We rented two and had a similar experience. The AC controlled one was inside the building and everything was fine. The other was also a garage door type. I had packed a lot in garbage bags. Later when we opened some of them, we found bits of candy corn in some of them. Nothing was chewed or stained with bodily fluids luckily but we opened the rest outside just in case. (Everything washed out). I imagined a chipmunk was storing up for the winter...or Halloween. Made me feel better than a mouse for some silly reason. And shame on the people who stored food in their unit.

quilt_gems_25
April 5th, 2018, 07:14 PM
I agree that plastic containers are best. The cardboard ones seem to attract unwanted insects. Also the plastic holds up better. When we were between homes for 6 months, we stored most of our furniture and winter clothes. I did wash the clothing items but probably did not have to do so. Everything was fine, (even the bag of paper trash that accidently went onto the save pile).