PDA

View Full Version : Feeling Owlish

Blondie
March 30th, 2018, 04:40 AM

Hello Folksies

Been awake since 2 a.m. and finally got up to make some coffee and perhaps sit and stitch before it's time to go to work. Waiting on the coffee to drip down is torment. Why or why don't I have a keurig?

Yesterday felt like Spring for sure. It got into the low 70's here. Windows were open and birds could be heard singing their thanks. I almost forget during the winter months when the windows are closed how much sound I miss around me. We were supposed to get thunderstorms overnite and haven't as of yet. I mean I slept for a few hours but if it had thundered our sheltie, Max would have been letting us know. I have never had such a dog to hate loud noises so much. So, no thunder and after a peek outside, no rain either. Maybe it will skip us like the snow didn't.

Yesterday was a mixed bag as most days are. Little Eli has a cold. His first little fever. He laid in my lap for over an hour and didn 't move a muscle until I went to get up. Then he pulled my hands to hold him again so I couldn't get up. His little fever broke yesterday late afternoon and I am sure one of the reasons I am up is because I am hoping that he slept good last night. Yesterday afternoon after all the hair do's and baby holding stuff, hubby and I just drove around to get off The Hill for a few minutes. Hey, I need a break now and then even if I adore my life - even if it is only to go to the Roses to walk around and buy new undies.

Hoping all who celebrate these Holy Days will be filled with the hope that the Resurrection brings. I remember as a child my Grandma Dolly (mom's mother) having us all sit and be still at noon on Good Friday. Occasionally, like this year, Passover would start on Good Friday evening. As my Grandfather would say, "We are always children first and children again at last. L'Chaim!" He meant that the child in each of us can find fun in each day and each somber celebration. As one singer wrote many years ago, "It may seem like Friday night - but Sunday's on the way". Regardless of where any of us are at in our life, Hope is the one thing we should never ever ever lose. If you are afraid of losing hope, quickly find someone who has found it. There is always someone in here on the forum who will lend an ear, extend a hand and grab you up in a hug.

Blessings to all and don't forget to Smile!

Judy, USMC
March 30th, 2018, 07:02 AM
Blondie you need to keep my number handy. Going on 6am here and I'm just headed to bed now. I have become a true night owl ... except when I'm with people who have a more "normal" schedule. Let me know when you need a break from baby cuddles; haven't experienced those in quite a while!

Monique
March 30th, 2018, 07:28 AM
Good morning. Happy Easter everyone.

It is still dark here so I am not sure what kind of day we will have. Yesterday wasn't a bad day, although we did get rain in the afternoon. I didn't get outside too much as I was working all day. My bad leg was feeling it alright. Happy wife as hubby came to pick me up AND he had ordered Chinese Food. YIPPEE no cooking.

I think today I will finish up Maizyn's dress. All that is left is buttonholes and the hem. I was never very good at buttonholes BUT in the many attachments I have there is one automatic one. So I tested it out and lo and behold I made a buttonhole. Will miracles never cease, hahaha. Then I can send it home to her. Her birthday is tomorrow. WOW, a big 8 and she is still my little girl.

This Easter weekend will definitely be a quiet one, just Les and I. There is an auction sale on Monday that I think we are going to. Not much else going on.

Have an awesome weekend friends.

Bubby
March 30th, 2018, 07:54 AM
Morning Everyone,

It rained all day yesterday and today we are supposed to see some sunshine today. Today is one of my favorite days of the year. Being Good Friday, Highway 63 between our town and Houston (15 miles south) will have Believers holding white crosses on both sides of the road reminding us of the sacrifice Christ made for us. Those holding the crosses are from all churches in the area and often a whole family will be standing with their cross, waving at all who drive by. I make sure to make this drive every year. I love living in a small town.

Monique, Maizyn will always be your Girl. One of the greatest blessings in a child's life is the love and attention of grandparents and you are an awesome Grandma!!

One of my friends just lost her husband to a severe stroke. She is the same friend whose 28-year-old son suffered a similar stroke and passed away two years ago. Please remember my friend Patti in your prayers.

I need to get Jeff's lunch put together....will check in later.

Wishing everyone a blessed Good Friday.

Ginny B
March 30th, 2018, 08:11 AM
Good morning all. Wow, there really were a few early birds here this morning. It's going to be a showery day here but pretty warm so I'll take it. I like these 2-days of work workweeks. :) Yesterday was my Monday and poof, here we are at Friday. Got some good news when I went back to work yesterday. The person I hoped was going to get the job replacing the Asst Dir. that just left did indeed take the position. She sent me an e-mail welcoming me back from vacation and letting me know that she was taking the position and said she was looking forward to working with me.

It will be a busy weekend. I've got to catch up on housework, prep the food for Easter breakfast and Easter dinner and get the Easter baskets filled. My step-daughters, Kathryn and Vicky and their hubbies and the grandkids will be over on Sunday mid-morning for an Easter brunch. It will be a fun filled few hours while they are here and then dh and I will have the rest of the day to relax and enjoy our dinner.

Barb, I will keep your friend Patti in my prayers. Monique, congrats on making the buttonholes! Love those attachments. Blondie, I hope little Eli gets over his cold soon. How sweet that he just wanted you to hold him and bring him comfort.

Have a blessed Good Friday and Passover .

JulieC
March 30th, 2018, 08:12 AM
Good Morning, Everyone.

I don't usually post here, but I have a few minutes while I'm icing my knee. It is not happy with me this morning. I sprained it at the beginning of the month and might have torn some cartilage while I was at it. I have a follow-up appointment with the orthopedist next week.

The injury has made me look at my house in a whole new way. Grab bars in the bathtub? Gotta get some of those. Convert the bathtub to a step-in shower? On the list. Railing from the kitchen door into the garage? Need one of those, too. I live in a ranch with a basement, and the washer/dryer are down there. If I decide to stay here into retirement, I want access to the washer/dryer on the first floor...so many things to think about!

On the bright side, I sprained my left knee, not the right, so I haven't had to miss any work. Which I need to start to get ready for - I have an early meeting this morning. Wishing everyone a Happy Easter!

KPH
March 30th, 2018, 09:10 AM
Good Morning All,

I think I've just about recuperated from the company. All of the linens are laundered, 2 missing wash cloths that I'm still hunting for, but other than that the house is back in order.

I worked on the table runner yesterday afternoon. I realized that the second block is wrong. I'm not ripping all of that apart to fix it. Thank goodness the boo boo side will be between the back of the sofa and the back of the table, well hidden! I'm going to finish quilting it today so it will be on by Easter. I started it right after Christmas, it's been just sitting there waiting for me to get it done. Jonathan helped (held the can of basting spray) me lay it out and sandwich it. We had a big discussion about the 'left over' fabric. He thought it was going to be put in the trash and he wanted it. I told him, noooooooooo that was stash, there was enough to make some other blocks with it. I'd keep it and use it in another quilt. I'll have some strips left on the sides so I'll give him some, I have no idea what he's got in mind to use with this batik fabric. While I was sandwiching, he was going through all of the quilts at his house. He always starts with his quilt, and it goes something like this-- You made my quilt. Then he'll ponder a second. You made Esther's quilt. You made Zeke's quilt. They're all really pretty. I love my quilt.

So, I've gotten him helping (watching and offering opinions) on picking fabrics (Chris's quilt), sandwiching (table runner), pressing (the peacock batik backing fabric). I told him I was going to make a baby quilt for the Ott's at church and the fabric had been shipped and would get here soon. He was so excited, I asked if he knew them. He said, No I have no idea who they are, but they're so lucky to get a quilt!

Prayers for those in need for guidance, strength and healing. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

Happy Easter!

JCY
March 30th, 2018, 09:10 AM
Good Friday Morning Hellos ~ Blondie - you were up in the middle of the night! I hope you sleep better tonight. I woke up at 4 a.m. (1 hr. before the alarm) with a cramp in my R. thigh. (I was able to go back to sleep for an hr. till the alarm went off.) It probably was all that crawling around on the floor I did last night for >1hr. sandwiching a quilt. This is a larger quilt than usual. I ran out of my reg. curved pins & had to use some of those smaller safety pins. Much harder to close those. Anyway, the quilt is ready to be stitched around the perimeter, then to be quilted. I'll need to clean my Tiara, change the needle, etc. before I start the new project. I made a sample sandwich yest. for practice FMQ. Still haven't decided whether to do an all-over or maybe try some different designs in each block like Angela Walters does. She likes a lot of variety.

The lawn service came by yest. afternoon & rang the door bell to verify we wanted the aeration done this season. I don't have it done every year, but I had signed up for it this year. We recently had some rain, so the ground was soft. Now our yard has plugs of dirt at least 3-4" long all over it.

DS#1 had his 2nd job interview yest. a.m. He should know something next week. The field was reduced to 3 or 4, who all are qualified.

Good Friday - our church is having services, but they are in the evening, so I won't go. When I was growing up, I remember we were allowed out of school mid-day for noon Good Friday services. Of course, this week here is spring break, so the kids already are out of school. Barb, those people holding white crosses along side the road sounds like a nice tradition.

Time to get on with my day.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
March 30th, 2018, 09:21 AM
Good morning ladies.
Blondie, I feel for you being awake so early. My DH told he was up since 4am. The 3 of us, 2 cats and me, just started snoring so loud, he couldn't sleep. I sympathize with night owls. DH does not sleep well. There is only one girlfriend who will share a room with me, if we travel. She is deaf in one ear, so she sleeps on good ear so my snoring doesn't bother her.

Monique, I do have to carve out more time to sew little girl dresses. This was my favorite sewing when my daughter was growing up, until she started sewing her own, around age 9-10. I feel guilty that I would rather quilt.

Barb, wow that's quite a unique tradition along a highway. I think this might cause pile ups in our area. Very nice reminder of the reason for the holiday, for those Christian who have lost their way.

Ginny, I can relate about making our homes safe for the older years. When my DH and I bought this home about 8 years ago, my mum had just fallen and needed to use a walker. This reminded me that either I or DH could end up in a wheelchair (post polio). So this house has no carpets, ceramic and hardwood floors. Our bedroom and an office is on the main floor. There are also 2 full bathrooms, one with stand-up shower and the other with jacuzzi tub. Lately, I have had more inclination to removing it, as it is difficult and could be dangerous to get in it when your back goes out. I would prefer a large walk-in shower and now, glass doors have these handles that are designed to use instead of wall mounted bars. Our laundry room is on the same floor. The only drawback is that the sewing room and DH train room are in basement, but now we would consider putting in one of those electric chairs to go up and down if needed. OR I could just throw a mattress in the basement and sleep in the sewing room. Just get a coffee pot, use microwave and I'm all set. Haha.

Today I am going to see Tula Pink. It's a trunk show and talk about 4 hours. My friend and I are leaving early as we want good seats.

This week has been so busy with DH appointments, and me driving him here and here and then to work for 5 hours. I did get the binding sewn by hand while he worked, so another one done. I also picked up 7 birthday cards for April's family and friends birthdays. I think I want to stop having birthday. Now to wrap the gifts for GKs for Easter. We get them a gift instead of candy/chocolate. They will get enough of that from other relatives. I bought the girls some outfits for the 18" dolls we got them at xmas. I also have patterns to make clothes. So maybe when I make them clothes, I will make matching outfit for their dolls. Heck, more projects in my head.

It must be Easter, a bunny has just shown up in the yard. We seem to always have a few in the spring, and then at Thanksgiving. You never see them otherwise. Unfortunately, natural selection happens here, and we see evidence that the hawks picked them up.

Hulamoon
March 30th, 2018, 12:42 PM
Why or why don't I have a Keurig?

I have a few reasons. It's a big appliance for just one cup of Java. It tastes weak and the cups are expensive. Did you know that the inventor of this product wished he never did. It's because of all the plastic going into the landfill. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/04/keurig-k-cups_n_6800622.html

I ditched mine and got a French press. Just made some cold brew last night for iced coffee today. :)

Julie I can feel all that you listed. I hate stairs right now too. lol

laura44
March 30th, 2018, 01:16 PM
Morning all, beautiful day here.
Might go sewing machine shopping today, test drove
a few yesterday, leaning towards a Babylock Soprano, it's
a tough one, I have the money but spending it is always a
hard thing to do after living much of my life not having money.
Lorie, I have a Keurig, but bought the refillable plastic holder and
use my own coffee. To bad so many cups are in the landfill.
God's grace and peace to all this weekend!