PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Up

Blondie
March 26th, 2018, 08:44 AM

Hello Folksies,

I have always had a love affair with the four seasons. I've lived in Florida and So. California long enough to really appreciate the "other" seasons that aren't all the same.

I missed the smell of wood stoves in the Fall and the breath taking color of the leaves. In the Spring I missed the buttercups, grape hyacinths, bugleweed, dogwoods - things that you have to wait all winter to see. I enjoy poring over garden catalogs and planning my flower and veggies. Now please understand, I can appreciate the beauty of every place I have ever lived - truly. But like Dorothy said, there's no place like home. I think most of us can agree that Summer is fine, ever since air conditioning has been invented. ( although I still dislike August, a/c or not!) I enjoy the stark beauty of the trees in our woods when Winter arrives. The twists and turns that the trees with their limbs and branches take - why they look almost like a dance that has been caught in a freeze frame. Hot cocoa and nice woolie socks. I love watching the sunrise through the woods. Winter and Fall have always been my most favorite seasons - maybe because they seem to fly by so quickly?

This year my dear friend Winter arrived a bit too early for me. Without even a howdy do or warning, she quite rudely rushed past Fall and before Halloween, she was making me wear socks and shoes. What??? I hadn't gotten my cuddleduds out yet! Gimme until at least Thanksgiving! By now, I am sure you know where I am going with this. That hussy! She has overstayed her welcome. She kept dumping her billowy skirt of snow over us - twice in this past week alone. I tried to tell her she was not only off schedule but obviously lost her way, since there are people in certain areas whom have not had a full winter yet.

Then Saturday - great big and I mean BIG flakes of snow began to fall . I was ever so thankful that my clients had all gotten their 'do's I carried Eli out in it to try to catch some flakes. He was so happy and excited, I couldn't deny him the joy of it all. I even enjoyed it with him. Something about little ones giggles are very contagious. It didn't accumulate much until overnite. Our little patch on the map is very difficult to predict. These folks never get it right. We are not the piedmont, we are not the mountains, we are barely the foothills. So, with us it is either feast or famine with weather. While being told to expect a dusting to an inch and a half, we woke up to 5 inches. It was like our snow earlier this past week. So very pretty but . . .

I broke up with Winter yesterday morning. She tried to get me to soften my heart because she sent the sun to start melting it a bit. But she is no longer my favorite season. Maybe my second best but not my bestest friend.

Oh and where is that Groundhog?

Monique
March 26th, 2018, 08:55 AM
Good morning everyone. Apparently Winter isn't done just quite yet. While we have had beautiful weather, albeit a little cool, we have not had any additional snow. Now, I read that we may possibly get some next week. UGH!!!! Didn't Winter come in like a lion and supposed to go out like a lamb?

I had a good weekend. Spent Saturday with Friends, we had a great supper, spent the night, had a wonderful breakfast. I was tired yesterday but determined not to have a nap. I slept really well last night. Yesterday I also made our block of the month for guild only to find out we don't take our blocks until the next meeting in two weeks. DUH!!! Oh well it is done and it was celtic knot block.

Not sure if Bonnie is coming for sew day yet or not. She will see how she feels when she gets up. No word yet on surgery. I need to get some cleaning done today. Floors NEED washing, vacuum NEEDS vacuuming. Then I can head up and do something in the sewing room, that is if Bonnie doesn't come today. I do have a contingency plan in case she does.

Tomorrow is Guild, I work Thursday and then long Easter weekend. Another busy week ahead.

Have yourselves a great day everyone.

JCY
March 26th, 2018, 09:12 AM
Good Morning, All ~ Well, Blondie, we sure could use some of that white stuff in Colorado. Unless we get some good precip. in April, we're slated to have one of the driest winters on record. Snow pack in the mts. is only 50-75%, depending on location. That's the water supply for the Front Range (all along the eastern side of the Rocky Mountains, down to the Plains). Chance of rain tonight maybe mixed with snow 0.5-1" here. Denver might get 1-3", more to the S & W of the City & in the foothills.

I sewed more blocks yest. p.m. I think I have enough. Now to decide how to lay them out. I used 1 sample block to sew the triangles on all 4 sides to put it on point. Too much white, so that won't work. I might use 1" sashing to separate them. I haven't decided yet.

Right now DS#1 is having a job interview for a manager's opening in his office. I hope that goes well for him. He thinks they have someone else in mind for the position, but there are several who are interviewing today & tomorrow.

Today at 9:30 starts my dental work. Ugh. This tooth has the amalgam filling (mercury), so the work is more involved. Not sure yet if it will need a crown. I've been on the Heavy Metal Detox for a week. I bought a Waterpik last week. I read all the instructions yest. & used it for the first time last night. It made my gums feel good.

Time to get on with my day.

KPH
March 26th, 2018, 09:26 AM
Oh Blondie, I agree whole heartedly. I can't imagine what different areas of the country have been through this winter. I don't like cold, but snow in NC this late? Geez Louise, we moved south just in time. Here the wind is howling, clouds are heavy. I want a button on the TV remote that changes the weather. I'm sure folks further north of us would love that option.

Today is the big day, picking up the taxes. Yuck! Mike's dropping me off to take care of that and he'll go pick up Zeke and Esther. Sticks and Stones is put away for the first part of the week anyway. BIL, niece and her boy friend will be here Wednesday. They'll spend the night and then head up to Badin Lake to pick up MIL. She's been there 3 weeks with her sisters. I know she'll be ready to go home. They'll all be home for Easter.

Then life gets back to normal. Some days are harder than others. It's so weird not being able to just get up and go out. Not being able to drive has its drawbacks. We haven't lived here long enough to have any real friends and quite frankly, I'm lonely. Enough of this pity party.

I'm hoping to work on my Secret Santa for April soon. I found a cute pattern that I'm excited to try. I found some fabric that a former parent created (Susan Wingate). She's such a talented lady and a great mom. lol, I guess her kids are hitting 30 by now. Oh my!

DS#1 called last night wanting information about the Faires family history. I started throwing stuff out of the cabinet where all the genealogies are... only to think when I was picking up the Precious Moments books that I should have just looked on Ancestry. What a head slap moment. I found the handwritten 7 generation map that I made but he wanted the generations beyond that. I called him back after I thought his kids would be in bed and read off the rest of it. He's trying to figure out if the Faires family goes back to Scotland. I can't confirm what's beyond Alexander Faires and his father, but it looks like the family came over to Delaware in the 1630s. Alexander was born in Delaware, then moved to SC where he lived. Grandma Mac's family staid in that area pretty much for 6 generations. I didn't realize that when Howard and I moved out to Stanley, we were moving closer to the old stomping grounds of the family so many years before.

Well, after my head slap moment of last night, I decided I really need to go through and get all of those different genealogies sorted and organized by family, instead of stacked in folders like Mom had it.

One thing both BIL's would like is to find out more about their father's birth family. He was adopted, from what's been said I think they'd like to know more about the roots/ medical type information. We know where he was born, MIL has his original birth certificate. That would be the place to start, possibly a DNA test to get a general idea of where the genes came from. We'll just have to see what they're willing to do.

Time to get started.

Prayers for those in need for peace, healing touches, and grace. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

Bubby
March 26th, 2018, 09:36 AM
Morning Everyone,

I'm sitting here listening to my embroidery machine clattering away. I had to get tough with myself and force myself to sew something. I'm working on some Sashiko blocks. Half of the block is Sashiko embroidery and the other half is an Asian print. I have a respectable stash of Asian fabrics and now is the perfect time to use them.

We are supposed to get heavy rain for the next few days. We are already under a flood watch. I hope I can get to my haircut appointment tomorrow. I guess that will hinge on if schools are closed, as my hairdresser has three little boys in school.

I need to make a run to the pharmacy today and also pick something up for dinner tonight. I cooked a roast yesterday and we have leftovers but something different sounds better to me. I've had little to no appetite since I had the flu.

Does anyone have Beth's name and address so we can send her cards?

Wishing every a happy Monday....with hugs.

KPH
March 26th, 2018, 09:41 AM
Morning Everyone,

I'm sitting here listening to my embroidery machine clattering away. I had to get tough with myself and force myself to sew something. I'm working on some Sashiko blocks. Half of the block is Sashiko embroidery and the other half is an Asian print. I have a respectable stash of Asian fabrics and now is the perfect time to use them.

We are supposed to get heavy rain for the next few days. We are already under a flood watch. I hope I can get to my haircut appointment tomorrow. I guess that will hinge on if schools are closed, as my hairdresser has three little boys in school.

I need to make a run to the pharmacy today and also pick something up for dinner tonight. I cooked a roast yesterday and we have leftovers but something different sounds better to me. I've had little to no appetite since I had the flu.

Does anyone have Beth's name and address so we can send her cards?

Wishing every a happy Monday....with hugs.

She posted it in her user note. I put a card in the box yesterday afternoon.

Star lover
March 26th, 2018, 09:43 AM
Does anyone have Beth's name and address so we can send her cards? .

Her name and address are in her user notes.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
March 26th, 2018, 10:40 AM
Good morning everyone. Apparently Winter isn't done just quite yet. While we have had beautiful weather, albeit a little cool, we have not had any additional snow. Now, I read that we may possibly get some next week. UGH!!!! Didn't Winter come in like a lion and supposed to go out like a lamb?

I had a good weekend. Spent Saturday with Friends, we had a great supper, spent the night, had a wonderful breakfast. I was tired yesterday but determined not to have a nap. I slept really well last night. Yesterday I also made our block of the month for guild only to find out we don't take our blocks until the next meeting in two weeks. DUH!!! Oh well it is done and it was celtic knot block.

Not sure if Bonnie is coming for sew day yet or not. She will see how she feels when she gets up. No word yet on surgery. I need to get some cleaning done today. Floors NEED washing, vacuum NEEDS vacuuming. Then I can head up and do something in the sewing room, that is if Bonnie doesn't come today. I do have a contingency plan in case she does.

Tomorrow is Guild, I work Thursday and then long Easter weekend. Another busy week ahead.

Have yourselves a great day everyone.

I'm with you Monique on the weather. Although the weather is supposed to be above zero, I think we might get rain on Wednesday. I pray that we get no more snow. My back can't take it. My mind can't take it. I just want it to melt. That will probably take a month, but that's ok.

How often does your guild meet? Seems more often than monthly, but more active in terms of actual activities.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
March 26th, 2018, 10:59 AM
Good morning ladies,
I am feeling rather... in pain this morning. I think last week's activities of standing all day for almost 3 days in a row have taken their toll. DH got up at 4, and I woke up at 5, but I stayed in bed. Woke up feeling crappy 3 hours later. He has gone back to bed, not been feeling good since the GS birthday on Saturday. He doesn't do well with noise and lots of people. My maple candied bacon was a hit, and were my French Canadian baked beans.

Yesterday, DH slept all afternoon, so I sewed and attached another 28 blocks to the 3 dudes quilt. I think it is big enough. Measures 90" square. I will add a 2" black border and a 5" mitered corner border and she will be done. It's one of those projects that I didn't enjoy as the block patterns do not always line up. At this point, I don't care, I just want it done. It will not be my proudest moment, but I will finish it. My friend will love it. I also put a roast beef in the oven, while I sewed. I have to remember to use the auto/cook function on the oven more often. I used it all the time when I worked, much like people used a crock pot.

Last week, I met my friend's cleaning lady. She was trying to juggle her schedule to fit us in. It will happen the first week of April. Since DH and I both have sporadic back issues, I have decided this was enough. She will come every two weeks. I will still have to vaccum with Dyson stick every 2-3 days as we do have 2 cats, and bathrooms every other week

Today I will work onputting on borders, and attach the binding on another quilt. Run errands. Go to my mom's to bring laundry and supplies. Go to my daughter to bring back mended clothes. Than rest. I'm exhausted.

Have a good day everyone.

Ginny B
March 26th, 2018, 11:48 AM
Good morning everyone. It is a beautiful, sunny morning here (in Peekskill) but chilly. It does feel refreshing though. I am enjoying not working.

Plans for the day: we took ds#2 to the train and he will be home late tonight since he has a wake to go to for one of his good friends' dad. He said he would probably get a train that would get him here by 10. Sis and I stopped at the grocery store to pick up a few things and now we are going to do a little bit of cooking, clean out ds#1's fridge which he didn't get to do before leaving for California and then I plan on setting up my Featherweight in the dining room and sew for a bit. :) I am enjoying this not going to work thing.

KPH
March 26th, 2018, 10:14 PM
Good morning everyone. It is a beautiful, sunny morning here (in Peekskill) but chilly. It does feel refreshing though. I am enjoying not working.

Plans for the day: we took ds#2 to the train and he will be home late tonight since he has a wake to go to for one of his good friends' dad. He said he would probably get a train that would get him here by 10. Sis and I stopped at the grocery store to pick up a few things and now we are going to do a little bit of cooking, clean out ds#1's fridge which he didn't get to do before leaving for California and then I plan on setting up my Featherweight in the dining room and sew for a bit. :) I am enjoying this not going to work thing.

Isn't it nice to not have that daily grind! I love not having to hear the alarm clock any more. In fact, I never set mine. Don't know if DH's is still set or not. I'm not going to turn it on to find out!