PDA

View Full Version : Monday Trivia: Coffee

Star lover
March 26th, 2018, 07:20 AM
Seems like we've had lots of references, quilts, etc. related to coffee. Sooooo, I got to wondering.......a scary thing!

Coffee goes by many names.

Cup of Joe or just Joe, Java, Brew, and Cuppa to name a few.

Some, such as espresso or mocha refer to a specific type of coffee. Others are more synonymous with “coffee” as a general term for the beverage that we love so much. Here’s a look at two of the most common alternative names for coffee, “cup of joe” and “java,” that don’t refer to a specific kind of coffee.

“Cup of Joe”
There are four main theories that try to explain where the term “cup of joe” came from:

- Martinson Joe was a well-known coffee roaster in New York City in the early 1900s, and it could be a reference to his coffee.

- Secretary of the Navy Josephus “Joe” Daniels banned alcohol*from U.S. naval ships in 1914, making coffee the strongest drink allowed aboard.

- Jamoke, which is a combination of “Java” and “Mocha,” was a popular term for coffee in the 1930s, and it may have been shortened to “joe”.

- the term may mimic the saying “the average joe,” as coffee is the average person’s beverage.

Which of these theories is true, remains uncertain.

“Java”

Where “java” came from is much more clear than the history behind “cup of joe.”

In the 17th century, the Dutch brought coffee to Southeast Asia, specifically to Bali, Sumatra and the island of Java.

“Java,” was an early term used to describe single-origin coffee that came from Java. It was probably only used by Dutch traders at first, but the term eventually was adopted by people throughout the world. As its use expanded from traders to the general public, so did its meaning. Thus, today it’s widely used by many people not as a technical term for single-origin coffee from Java but as a general term for coffee.

As for me.....no coffee for me! Nope, nota, zilch, nix, not on your life, thumbs down, fat chance!

Tea for me....ahhh, my golden elixir of choice.....and plenty of it. Black, no sugar or cream. I love it hot, I love it cold, I love it anyway I can get it in me. Sorry coffee drinkers. I do love the smell......and I used to make it all the time for my parents. I was told I made the best cup of joe, cuppa in the family.....just never liked the taste.

So whatever you choice of high octane is....enjoy!

Monique
March 26th, 2018, 08:09 AM
Thanks Anita.

auntstuff
March 26th, 2018, 08:29 AM
There is no 'life' before coffee.....

KPH
March 26th, 2018, 08:36 AM
Dad worked downstairs at AT&T at the Guilford Center. He had a coffee pot that he kept brewing all day long. We'd buy the big bags of 8 O'clock coffee and he would take Saturday to grind the coffee for the week. He'd make (if I'm remembering correctly) about 20 pots a day. He'd get all the filters ready for the day first thing in the morning. Then all they'd have to do is swap out the filters and pour in the water. It was on the honor system, cheaper than the machines in the building and a much better cup of coffee to boot. They closed him down when the concession company figured out why they weren't selling anything in their coffee machines.

Hulamoon
March 26th, 2018, 07:12 PM
I love old movies and the old terms they used for things.

I don't drink coffee either. I got rid of my Kering and got a French press for when I was in the mood for an iced coffee. They make nice flavored ones on Kauai. I like tea too and buy from this company. http://www.republicoftea.com/

The tins are fun too for storage of odd little things.

auntstuff
March 26th, 2018, 07:27 PM
I love old movies and the old terms they used for things.

I don't drink coffee either. I got rid of my Kering and got a French press for when I was in the mood for an iced coffee. They make nice flavored ones on Kauai. I like tea too and buy from this company. http://www.republicoftea.com/

The tins are fun too for storage of odd little things.

I buy from the same company, several varieties. STILL need my coffee in the morning while I watch the sun rise.

grammaterry
March 26th, 2018, 10:02 PM
Had my first cup when I was 48. My parents were coffee addicts and I refused to be addictd to anything. I drink 2 cups a day.. black.....period and if I don't get it...well...no big deal.