PDA

View Full Version : My life with coffee

Blondie
March 23rd, 2018, 07:50 AM
is not exactly like this. I have never ever been this amped up. Kinda wish I were. I need it today. It isn't only Monday's that coffee was created for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlBlUs8KI4s

Happy Friday and Enjoy the weekend, Folksies!

Bubby
March 23rd, 2018, 08:17 AM
Morning Blondie.....You can have my share of coffee and caffeine. I was born into a coffee-drinking family and all I ever did was make it for them....same today. I make coffee for Jeff every morning and never touch a drop. I don't even like to smell it brewing. I can tolerate it if bacon is cooking at the same time, but that's it. Tea is my weakness....or one of them.

We had a hard day of work at the apartments yesterday. We had a broken water line in the wall between two apartments and both flooded. We had the plumber and his helper out there all day yesterday. Cabinets had to be removed and walls torn down to be replaced after the leak was found. It was an ordeal. We were late getting home again so we just showered and fed Dottie and went to bed. We have to go back tomorrow.

Cathy F sent me pictures of the 19-20" snow they got this past weekend. They really got the worst of the latest of the storms hitting the northeast. Let's remember to pray for everyone in that area. There are massive power outages and other critical issues that put lives at risk.

Have a good day Everyone.....Dottie says Hi, too.

Sandy Navas
March 23rd, 2018, 08:55 AM
I was so caught up in trying to read her t-shirt (Fair Folks & A Goat) - because there was a sewing machine on it . . . (and I haven't figured out the connection), that I missed half her message. Oh, that may be because I am still on my first grande cup.

Monique
March 23rd, 2018, 08:55 AM
Good morning everyone. Well I was up and went back to bed.

I got the results back from the sleep test. Lying on my left side is perfect, not so on my right side, even worse on my back. I came home with a cpap machine. My night wasn't the greatest but it wasn't the worst either. I awoke at 3:30, got up at 4:15, unhooked myself from the machine. At around 6 or so I headed back to bed for a bit. Not sure about this machine. It was really hard to get comfortable and I did wake up sore from lying in the same position for so long. Anywho, we shall see what results this test will bring. I had a great lunch with Lynda.

So today we have to take back the machine. I am hoping to get to Fabricville (Fabricland in Ontario) and see if I can maybe get the fabric for the Cinderella dress.

Tomorrow we are headed to friends for the day/night.

Have a great weekend everyone.

**Barb** Sounds like you and Jeff will be so busy.

KPH
March 23rd, 2018, 09:21 AM
I'm sippin' my coffee right now. My Dad mainlined coffee. He could down a pot or two a day. Me, I make an 7 cup pot for me which works out to be about 2.5 of my Tinkerbelle mugs. Depending on what's going on for the day, I may or may not drink it all.

Barb, I don't know how ya'll do it! It's always something happening to property! Our neighbor 'fixed' their broken panel of fencing yesterday. I have no idea when they came out to work on it. The whole fence just needs to be replaced, but it's on their side and we just moved here, I just don't feel like it's my place to tell them what to do with their property.

J brought a book Alfred the King to read yesterday. It had some really interesting vocabulary for a K. We spent some time looking up some words in the dictionary. I told him that the dictionary was one of my favorite books. Prong was one of the words we looked up, I wasn't sure how it was going to be used, so we looked at all of the meanings and reinforced nouns, adjectives and verbs. All in all, it was a lousily written story but we managed to get some good out of the lesson. The squirrel, mocking bird, smaller common doves and the cardinals all visited while we read the story. At least it was a break from the bloody war, hacking with axes and the gravel slick with red. (insert eye roll here).

Today, I'm not sure what's going to happen. The glass is supposed to arrive for the two kitchen cabinets. Then they guy will take the other piece of glass to Jim and Morgan's house. That was the big one 4'x6'. Jim made a craft/work table for Morgan with two kitchen cabinets on one end for storage and a solid frame underneath to support the rest of the plywood. It's solid! With the glass on top, the wood will be protected and Morgan will have an easy clean work surface for any type of work she wants to do.

I'm planning on working on my Sticks and Stones today. We'll see what Mike has planned when he gets up. I hope he'll find something before the college kids hit the job market around here. Toys R Us's founder passed away yesterday. He said most of them thought he was already dead. It's heart breaking that he was around to see the fall of his dream.

I hope everyone has a great day and weekend.

Prayers for those in need for healing touches, strength, and insight. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

Carlie Wolf
March 23rd, 2018, 09:42 AM
Cute video Blondie :-)

Buddy being as you own apartments you might be able to give me some hints here particularly since your dealing with bathrooms currently. I'm embaressed to say I just can't figure out where the problem is coming from here. I have a small half bathroom downstairs and there is a washer and dryer in it. One window. It's developed an odor that I can't seem to get rid of. I think it's either mildew or mold. I've used bleach to clean the floor, also poured bleach in the toilet tank and scrubbed it down inside and down the sink drain. Still no luck getting rid of the odor. I don't see any indications of a water leak. I've never had this happen before. Any ideas?

Just before we got this last stint of bad weather, when it was all warmed up we were visited by some woodpeckers. I had noticed around this time last year they decided to peck at the back corner of our house. I had read then that it was possibly a mating behavior or possibly a nest was being built. No babies that I could see so maybe it was the former behavior. Well, they are back again this year. Back corner slightly different spot. I had tried last year to sneak outside to see what they were doing but they were slippery little things and would fly off into the trees until I went back in the house and then would come back. Wish I could get a picture of them.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
March 23rd, 2018, 09:46 AM
Good morning ladies,
Blondie, your coffee video brought a morning smile to me and DH. It is interesting that the older I get, the more I need my coffee to get going. My parents never really drank coffee. My mom would make it when we had company, and my dad would have a cup. My mom loves her tea. I didn't start drinking coffee until my late 20s, and got my first coffee maker in my mid-thirties. It quickly be ame a weekend addiction, now daily. For about 15 years, coffee was provided free at work, but I still had no more than 3 cups a day. Then we got a latte, espresso machine. That's when I ramped up my coffee intake to an unhealthy level. I had to go cold turkey for about 2 weeks, and now have no more than 3 cups a day.

Barb, so unfortunate with all the work on the apartments. Does the cold weather have anything to do with recent issues. I hope you get a break soon.

I had a fun day yesterday on the long arm. I got the quilt done. A bit of a learning curve but I could see the improvement with every new row. I used a floral pantograph. I will post as soon as I trim the batting and extra backing. It was fun being in the quilt store. I saw/bought some of the new fabrics to make a wall quilt. I also helped the ladies unpack a new shipment of a line of fabric. Oh, so pretty. I could not work in a quilt store, i would be leaving my paycheck +. I wiill go back again. One day to quilt, not bad. I could crank them out.

Gotta run. Busy next few days.

Angelia
March 23rd, 2018, 10:02 AM
Monique--hang in there with the CPAP. It takes time to get used to it. I couldn't do without mine now--I've been using it for almost 12 years.

Carlie--could it be the washer? They sometimes develop an odor. You could try a bleach or baking soda wash--it might help.

Playing with strings today--after coffee. :)

MissMay
March 23rd, 2018, 10:27 AM
Ah, Just finishing my first cup of coffee to prime my body for the day. Woke up very tired and achy so I'll need at least one more big mug of coffee to start my motor. I grew up having coffee with breakfast, growns ups had theirs first and we kids had ours half n half, half milk and half coffee so we were drinking Lattes way before they became popular. Going to get a refill, see you later.

PS: Barb tell Dottie I said Hi, good luck with the apartments.
Carlie, It very well may be the washer.
Monique, sounds if you ha a CRAPy night's sleep.

chelea
March 23rd, 2018, 10:33 AM
High efficiency, front load washers can have an odor and need to be cleaned periodically.

https://www.thespruce.com/prevent-front-load-washer-odors-2147309?utm_source=emailshare&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=shareurlbuttons

Mimi_Howard
March 23rd, 2018, 10:34 AM
Carlie - I had the same thought as Angelia when readying your post about it being your washer.

I had to remind myself more than once yesterday, this is NOT Friday. So yeah Friday is finally here. Cleaning and painting this weekend, I got my house back and slowly moving my stuff back into it. Another story for another day. Seems like my days are on a regular "good news - bad news" path. Just have to celebrate the good and don't dwell on the bad. On that note another cup of coffee for energy in finding that silver lining in the black cloud.

Happy Friday to All !

Bubby
March 23rd, 2018, 10:35 AM

Buddy being as you own apartments you might be able to give me some hints here particularly since your dealing with bathrooms currently. I'm embaressed to say I just can't figure out where the problem is coming from here. I have a small half bathroom downstairs and there is a washer and dryer in it. One window. It's developed an odor that I can't seem to get rid of. I think it's either mildew or mold. I've used bleach to clean the floor, also poured bleach in the toilet tank and scrubbed it down inside and down the sink drain. Still no luck getting rid of the odor. I don't see any indications of a water leak. I've never had this happen before. Any ideas?

Just before we got this last stint of bad weather, when it was all warmed up we were visited by some woodpeckers. I had noticed around this time last year they decided to peck at the back corner of our house. I had read then that it was possibly a mating behavior or possibly a nest was being built. No babies that I could see so maybe it was the former behavior. Well, they are back again this year. Back corner slightly different spot. I had tried last year to sneak outside to see what they were doing but they were slippery little things and would fly off into the trees until I went back in the house and then would come back. Wish I could get a picture of them.

Carlie....I answered you in a pm.

Cathy F
March 23rd, 2018, 10:44 AM
Morning all,
what a difference a day makes, quite a bit of the snow from the storm has melted and everything is back to normal. Patchogue had the highest accumulation of snow on the Island. Our local paper said we got 20.1" of snow dumped on us. It sure was beautiful to see when it was untouched not so much now. They are saying winter isn't done with us yet and more snow is predicted for this coming week. Happy Spring! My husband measured 18-19" in spots in our yard.

Guess I 'll have to get out to the grocery store as the cupboards are looking pretty bare and stock up again.

Talking of coffee my Keurig is calling my name got to run!

JCY
March 23rd, 2018, 11:01 AM
Good Morning ~ Wow, that's a lot of snow! I hope it melts soon. We might get some snow the first of the week. We really need the moisture. We had an unseasonably warm day yest. It got up to 84 deg.! I had the front door & 2 windows open to air out the house. It stayed warm all night, so I didn't sleep as well. Had my BR window wide open. It's supposed to be 70 today.

Coffee ~ I weaned myself off caffeine many years ago. I have 1 c. of decaf coffee each day. I used to drink "leaded" coffee in the a.m. & have a diet Coke every afternoon when I started my swing shift at the hosp. After reading all the bad things about soda, esp. the diet ones, I quit them altogether.

Monique ~ yes, it takes time to get used to a CPAP. DH used one for over a year before he finally gave up on using it; we sold the unit to a friend who needed a 2nd mach. when he traveled. As long as he sleeps on his side, he does ok.

Barb, sorry about all the mess at the apts. Being a landlord is a lot of work.

Yest. I made several more blocks of the 1/4 Log Cabin pattern. I think I take more time picking out fabrics to coordinate than I do the actual sewing. I'm using a charm pack of Kaffe Fassett, then cutting 2.5" strips from some 10" batik squares for the sides. I had 4 LCs in my stash, so lots to choose from. I have to say that almost all the 10" were either not square or were at least 1/8-1/4" short on one side. So the halves of the LCs that are left over, are not 5" wide, they're maybe 4-3/4" wide. I'll use them for a future project. I love all the bright colors.

Today is our monthly Lady Bugs get together. We're eating lunch at Red Lobster.

Carlie ~ I think there is a product that one can use to help with the mildew odor, which I suspect is coming from your washer. I don't have a high efficiency washer. Ours is a Maytag top loader we've had for probably 30 yrs. or more. Knock on wood. I hope it keeps running for a good long time yet. After use, I always leave the lid open to let the inside dry out.

Well, time to get on with my day. Have a good week end.

Carlie Wolf
March 23rd, 2018, 11:14 AM
Thank you all for your responses, it's a rather annoying problem :-) Buddy I just replied to your PM. I'm going to try some of these suggestions and see if it helps.

Ohhh, and I forgot to add my favorite Coffee pic:

Iris Girl
March 23rd, 2018, 11:56 AM
Morning all. Haven't been here a lot lately. Not much to say. I pulled a muscle in my lower back weds reaching for the can opener. Went to work thurs was feeling ok with just a few twinges of pain. Put some laundry in the machine this morning and bending over to get it out wrecked my back all over again. So walking on eggs again and hoping I don't twist or turn the wrong way because it makes me yelp.
I'm with Barb on coffee. My Mom drunk it and so does hubby. I do like the smell of it brewing but hate the taste, give me tea hot or cold and I'm happy.
Barb sorry about the apartment mess.
Have a good day all.

LLLinda
March 23rd, 2018, 01:35 PM
Hey Carlie. My basement top loading washer also started smelling. Very simple solution. First I cleaned it and started leaving the lid open. No more smell unless DH uses it and forgets to leave open.

Carlie Wolf
March 23rd, 2018, 03:07 PM
Well I finally discovered the problem. I used some of the test tips Buddy gave me :-). Turned out to be the sink. Once I discovered that I called to owner so he could look at it when he comes over next week to do some other things. Turns out he came right over to see what was up with it. It was the seal around the drain. He had used plumbers puddy a few months ago but didn't use a silicone (or something I forget) around it. So water would leak through the puddy. The smell is coming more from the tile under the sink where the water gets in. I can only imagine what it would be like if I actually used that bathroom daily! It's a flooring he put in about 15 years ago that of course was suppose to be a marvel but has like a caulkboard backing that reacts much like sand in that it takes forever to dry out even though it wasn't much water. He's coming back next week to fix the drain seal, we'll use some mold/mildew stuff on the floor and then put my electric heater in their to get it dried out properly. Hopefully that will work and we won't need to worry about a new floor for now. (I'd rather have the new windows for my upstairs office as that was on our " do next list". Aren't 100+ year old houses fun? Actually I do love this old house

auntstuff
March 23rd, 2018, 03:20 PM

Washers will often get a mildew growth going if they never dry out well. Put a cup of white vinegar in your water once a week to keep it cleaned out. Its also a pretty good fabric softener and leaves your clothes smelling fresh.