PDA

View Full Version : Another Day another Dollar

Blondie
March 22nd, 2018, 08:24 AM

Hello Folksies!

Wellsir, it's Thursday again. Little Friday as many locals put it. Yesterday is a interesting memory.

After all the thunder, lightning, sleet, rain, snow of Tues night, yesterday morning it began to snow. And it snowed and snowed and snowed and snowed until about noon. I went across the street to watch the boys while DIL Billie went for her infusion. The boys were great - Ethan still smiles and giggles all the time and Eli, what can I say? That little monkey is just precious. getting ready to enter the terrible twos and I can see it happening even now. Definite one track mind and knows with a certainty when you are trying to bamboozle him to get interested in something else. It was too cold for me to bundle him up to play in the snow.

The phone went dead but the power stayed on. Go figure that one out. It isn't like it's even a cell phone. We don't have any of those. Anyhoo, after the boys were down for their nap, I let the dog out and POOF, the snow was GONE. It had warmed up and rained on it enough to say bye bye. Now see, that's the kind of snow I like. So pretty and pure coming down, gone as a brief memory.

Off to get ready for work.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
March 22nd, 2018, 08:35 AM
Wow Blondie. You've experienced every type of weather. Glad you didn't loose power. March certainly has been brutal for you.

Today, I'm up early to drive to a local quilt store in Carleton Place about an hour from my home. I'm excited as I rented a long arm for the first time. I have a quilt, pattern is Dissapearing hourglass that i have been waiting to quilt. I want to use a pantograph for an all over design. Don't really care if it's not perfect. It will be done. You have to start somewhere. Wish me luck.

I spent yesterday at my daughter's place. We made fruit waffles, chocolate chip and plain waffles for grandson's birthday on Saturday.

Gotta run.

shermur
March 22nd, 2018, 08:40 AM
Morning.....

The last three days has been on the phone with insurance companies, attorney, towing lot, and damage adjuster. Having no vehicle sucks. No grocery store runs, the food is low and I can't seem to get much needed answers from the other driver's insurance company.

I wonder if today will be the same....maybe I should just go in my sewing room and not come out. Youngest DD has a school function this evening...not sure how she's going to get there. It's quite the hike and I know I can't walk that far....

I just want this mess over with....

Star lover
March 22nd, 2018, 08:41 AM
Mornin all!

Yup, Blondie, my kind of snow too......just doesn't seem to ever happen here....it just sticks. We still have piles in the shade. Should all disappear in a few days......hopefully.

Grandchildren are such blessings.......happy you were able to enjoy yours.

I was thinking about southerism last night and one my DH granny would say popped into my mind. When you say curious....as when someone is different (or something); she would say "quar". Have no idea of the spelling as it's from northern Georgia. She didn't mean it the way it's used today. She died in the 70's and my DH said she always used it. So you had some "right quar" weather yesterday.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day. Love and hugs!

JCY
March 22nd, 2018, 09:09 AM
Good Morning ~ We had a sunny day yest. & a high of 70 deg. It's supposed to be even warmer today. This a.m. I'll be mixing up my turkey patties, so that shoots down the morning. Maybe I can get to the sewing room this afternoon.

Our potluck lunch yest. after Bible study was nice. There were only 6 of us, but we had good conversation. The hostess had a welcoming 11 y.o. dog (obtained him from a shelter) & a long haired cat who ignored us & slept in the chair. Then I made quick run to the groc. store & was home by 2:15.

I haven't heard snow totals in MD, but DS#1 had several inches when he e-m'd yest. afternoon. He & his wife both worked from home. The gov't, many businesses, & schools were closed.

Have a good day.

KPH
March 22nd, 2018, 09:20 AM
Good Morning All,

Yesterday is just a blur. I managed to get a little sewing done. I now have a bunch of 2 strip sets, and one strip left to sew on each of them, but today is home school. Who knows if I'll get to it.

The kids came to dinner. We had cubed steak, rice and gravy, green beans and Harvard Beets. Apparently, nobody in Jim's family likes beets. J liked the syrup, but didn't care for the "beet berries". So, Mike and I'll have beets when they aren't here.

The mighty winds were blowing yesterday. Our neighbor's fence that blew down in Irma fell back over yesterday. I guess this weekend we'll see if they need our help getting it back up.

Mike called the shop about the truck. He can't get to the back side of the spark plugs and wires without a lift. That high he had from saving the money with his dad's discount dissipated in a flash when he heard what just the labor was going to be. I told him, I'd pay for it and he could pay me back a little at the time. He thought about it while I was at church, he wasn't to work more hours and earn the money first. I'm like alright, but the offer still stands. He got the 'letter' yesterday. Toys R Us is officially closing (like he didn't already know). He's already putting in applications at other places. I hope he can find something quickly. He had such a hard time finding a job to start with!

I'd best wrap my head around what I'm going to do with J today. lol, Since his mom is bringing him, there will probably be worksheets to do. One thing for sure, we're going into the sewing room/ school shelves room and clean up the shelves and practice with what ever he chooses. There will be some bike riding for sure, and some flower work too since the azalea is in bloom.

Prayers for those in need for - strength, healing touches, and insight to do what's best. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

Mimi_Howard
March 22nd, 2018, 09:44 AM
Morning' All... last night is a blur to me. Got some bad news and couldn't get to sleep and when looking over the on screen tv guide, in upper corner I saw words "Thur". Oh good I thought, at least tomorrow is Friday. Around 1 am and almost asleep it HIT me.. DANG it that was tomorrow already and it is not Friday. UGH gonna be a looooong day running on 4 hours of sleep. After work (if the rains are not horrible) will get to pick up my taxes and seems I will be getting enough from Peter to pay Paul.. Yeah on that one. I think we should start a petition for M*....... Make tax day (4/15) a free shipping day at M*.

Cathy F
March 22nd, 2018, 09:46 AM
Morning all,
Well I wish I could say the rain will wash away our snow, hubby went out with the yardstick and we got 18" piled up after he was able to get the door open. It does look beautiful though. It is a wet heavy snow and will be a job clearing the driveway and walkway even with the snowblower. So much for Happy Spring!
Guess it will be a good day to sew some more.

Hoping everyone stays safe in this weather, I know my feet won't be stepping out the door today. Loads of people with no power and downed trees and numerous road accidents.

MissMay
March 22nd, 2018, 10:56 AM
Well I'm of 2 minds this morning Happy that the week is almost over but Not Happy with all this snow. Guild had to cancel their bus trip to the Lancaster PA Quilt show. Some quilting friends from VA have been there since Monday are now snowed in at the motel we stay in so they are having a PJ party and sew ins. Lucky for them that a few years ago the motel added a little diner next door. We have been meeting there for 10 years or so and would have PJ parties in the evening and one night a Show & Tell in the meeting/conference room.

10" of snow since yesterday. Since Winter insists on hanging around I think I'll make some hearty soup for dinner. The one DH made last night just didn't make it at all, a can of Campbell's tomato soup with some leftover mixed veggies thrown in. I'm thinking maybe lentil sausage soup might be good.

Blondie those old sayings make forgotten things pop into my mind. Today's made me remember that a dollar an hour was my pay for my 1st "real" job. I was a work/study student during my senior high school year, 1952-53, at a big Wall Street law office in the city, Manhattan, which introduced me to a different world from the working class one I grew up in. I was shocked to learn that all the secretaries and the typing pool were men! I was a millionaire's dinner hostess at the annual company dinner at a snazzy hotel. He asked me to dance a waltz and he said he and his then wife belonged to a Waltzing Society and I learned to waltz at PS 77 in 8th grade. In later years after JFK died I read that he and Jackie were dating. A different world indeed. Oh my gosh Blondie look what you have done, I'll be remembering stuff all day.

grammaterry
March 22nd, 2018, 11:29 AM
That "quar" your spoke of is southern for queer when queer meant odd or curious. In the south, vowel sounds are odd in themselves. A little friend of my youngest DD came over. THey were 5. She said, "Miss Terry (pronouncing it Turry) will you fix my Har?" I said, I'd be glad to but I don't know what a Har is. She said, " oh just put a pin in it!! ( while she held her hair back with her hand to show me where).
Mornin all!

Yup, Blondie, my kind of snow too......just doesn't seem to ever happen here....it just sticks. We still have piles in the shade. Should all disappear in a few days......hopefully.

Grandchildren are such blessings.......happy you were able to enjoy yours.

I was thinking about southerism last night and one my DH granny would say popped into my mind. When you say curious....as when someone is different (or something); she would say "quar". Have no idea of the spelling as it's from northern Georgia. She didn't mean it the way it's used today. She died in the 70's and my DH said she always used it. So you had some "right quar" weather yesterday.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day. Love and hugs!

Monique
March 22nd, 2018, 04:37 PM
Well I am very late to this party aren't I? I had my appointment this morning for the Cpap machine. So I have the machine for tonight, return it tomorrow and then we shall see what happens from there. I was told NOT to sleep on my back if I can avoid it, sleep apnea is really BAD then. No sleep apnea sleeping on my left side and not too bad on my right. After my appointment I met with my friend Lynda for lunch. We had a good visit and a good lunch.

The baby quilt is all finished, bound and labeled. One more project out of the way.

I will let you know tomorrow how it goes tonight with the machine.