PDA

View Full Version : Where to find little stuff for a plastic Easter Egg hunt

jjkaiser
March 21st, 2018, 10:45 PM
On a recent trip to my attic i found a bag of about 75 plastic Easter eggs. I was going to donate them to the Value Village, then dh and I looked at our work schedules and saw we are both off Good Friday! So we are planning on spending the whole day with our 3 GD. They are 2, 4 & 6. Now i want to do an Easter egg hunt but have no idea where to get little stuff to put inside. I will put candy in some and pennies in some, but looking for more ideas.

LLLinda
March 21st, 2018, 11:15 PM
I would think Dollar Store would have bags of little things like that maybe in the party supplies section besides in the toy aisle. It might be too late to count on getting stuff online.

quilt_gems_25
March 21st, 2018, 11:22 PM
Have you tried your local big box store or party store? Around here, they have large bags of smaller toys.
Sometimes, we would have numbers in eggs and whoever got the special picked number got the bigger prize that was somewhere in view. Since some are younger, you could even have them look for a certain color fabric inside. Do they all like the same things? If they like dolls, you could make a little scrap quilt for their dolls or stuffed animals. Or, if you want things inside all of the eggs, you could have 2 1/2 inch squares in each of them and then you could make little doll blankets using the scrap pieces they found in their eggs. Of course, filling in with more stash as needed to complete it.
Whatever you do, there will be three happy 2, 4, and 6 year olds after their Easter Egg Hunt.

Hulamoon
March 21st, 2018, 11:31 PM
How about those quarter machines at the super market. They have all kinds of fun stuff.

K. McEuen
March 21st, 2018, 11:36 PM
I'd hit Dollar Tree. Don't forget the aisle where the hairbrushes are. You can get little hair clips and ties that have 10 to 40 on a card for a buck, depending on the style, that could be split between several eggs

Cokie
March 22nd, 2018, 12:22 AM
I agree with the dollar store or the dollar spot at Target, or even the party supply aisle at Walmart or similar store. How about hair bows or barrettes, children's necklaces or bracelets, cute socks, stickers, light-up bouncy balls? Just a few ideas - of course they would need to be age appropriate and not too small for the youngest ones. Sounds like a fun time. Let us know what you find!

MHG Winnower
March 22nd, 2018, 07:16 AM
We used to put a puzzle piece in each of the eggs (of course puzzles geared for little ones). Then after the egg hunt, they could calmly sit (yea right) and try to put the puzzle together! Dollar stores have them. I'd fear for things small like pennies or flimsy which might be small enough for the little ones to put into their mouths.

Rhonda K
March 22nd, 2018, 09:34 AM
What a fun adventure for the little ones! Don't forget a golden coin in one for a special find. You might want to make 3 of them so each child can find one. Enjoy the day with them!

KPH
March 22nd, 2018, 10:18 AM
I guess my cousins and I just loved to find the eggs. Neither grandma put stuff in the plastic eggs. Dad refused to use the ones we dyed after the year he found one with the lawn mower a couple of months after the fact.

With all the stuff Grandma Dot put in the kids Easter Baskets, they didn't need anything else. So we just hid the plastic eggs.

bakermom
March 22nd, 2018, 11:42 AM
If time allowed Oriental Trading co is a good choice. Otherwise the party section at Walmart or the Dollar Tree.
We had a neighbor that just did money. They had a couple eggs with dollar
coins and one with a five dollar bill. All the rest of the eggs had small change.

auntstuff
March 22nd, 2018, 12:24 PM
With all 3 being girls, how about some neat hair bows and such?

Vonnie
March 22nd, 2018, 04:36 PM
Or little notes inside telling what prize they won.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
March 22nd, 2018, 09:50 PM
Stickers are good at this age. Dollar store.

Bubby
March 23rd, 2018, 10:45 AM
I saw lots of little things at our Dollar General. In the future, Oriental Trading (online) is a great place to shop for darling little things. I used to buy from them often when I taught Sunday School. I buy my washi tape from them now.

JCY
March 23rd, 2018, 11:28 AM
If you have a Tuesday Morning or a Party America store in your area, you should be able to find lots of goodies.

snippet
March 26th, 2018, 01:13 AM
I second Oriental Trading.com but it's too close to Easter to order probably.

We didn't use plastic eggs. we made cascarones. All through the year, we save eggshells (you break them at the ends to keep most of the egg intact), then have a whole mess at Easter to dye. Then we fill the eggs with small chocolates, money, toys, stickers. Add some confetti for fun, then glue a square of tissue paper to close the hole. The kids loved them.

When they got older, I would put little slips of paper in them for bigger gifts, like stuffed animals, CDs and clothes. I even added some with silly poems - kind of a fortune cookie Easter Egg. :)