PDA

View Full Version : 4 letter words

Blondie
March 21st, 2018, 08:35 AM

Hello Folksies

Here in the South, I was raised to not say certain words. It just isn't fittin' for a young lady with the face and demeanor of an angel to spoil all that by saying words that make older women start fannin' themselves. Now every region of the South has it's own way of conversating, but each of us can spit it out in very very very identifiable ways that are a dead giveaway. It isn't just our accent, honey, it is all in the verbage.

My husband grew up 30 miles from here in good ol' Ringgold, Va and they have differing words and meanings! For example, if I say a person, place or thing is ' curious' I am saying that they can be odd, unusual - just a tad bit eccentric, or funny and I don't mean haha - . It really can be all of those or just one. It is basically a gut feeling. Luscious had never heard that before, which I find fascinating; especially considering the first time I met his Aunt Lizzy that his family was gonna be eat up with curious people. I was sure to feel right at home. Later on in our relationship when I felt comfortable enough to let me be really me, he couldn't understand what I meant when I mentioned that Aunt Lizzy was rather curious. He said, No, I've never known her to be nosey. She doesn't even like gossip! After he had lived here in the little area for a spell, he finally got it. He knows he can't put his finger on it but Aunt Lizzy is definitely curious.

I may have to drop a few new words into your vocabulary bucket along the way. Right now I will say that the four letter word I woke up thinking about this morning is snow. As in falling right now. I am assuming this will be a non event for us but possibly pick up momentum as it travels to the hearty northeast. Last night was a terrible electrical show with the accompanying thunder. We had rain, hail, sleet and snow all at once. Now that was also curious.

KPH
March 21st, 2018, 09:00 AM
This winter/spring transition has been a curious thing, indeed.

Grandma Mac would have a fit if I would say darn. She always said it led the way to more powerful naughty words. I've tried hard to keep my 'sailor mouth' (her words) under control. My Aunt Pat would say 'piffle'. There for the longest time, I would think she was trying to say pickle as in she wanted a pickle. Shows how silly I was back in the day.

I worked on the phone yesterday. I had a phone appt. with Social Security first thing. Then I called the Home Owner's Association about the post card they sent (the assessments are due 4/1 but the budget won't be set until after the budget meeting on 3/28. I had a few words of council for them. Blondie, you'd be proud. I didn't use any of those four letter words.) I called our insurance agent and asked if Howard had called about flood insurance. It was one of those things that we wanted to do in January and with me being sick I didn't know if it had been taken care of. It hadn't, but it's done now. GPC called about Howard's pension check, they weren't able to set it up with the credit union here. I figured that out after I went to the bank to deposit a check. They have the full checking account number now, so hopefully it will go in the bank. If not, I'll call and tell them about my first name. I had some choice thoughts about Homeland Security when we moved and having to get a new SS card so I could get a FL ID, so I could set up a savings account here that all had my first name that I'd never been called in 60 years. I know Howard wouldn't have listed my first name with GPC so it's not their fault, more mine for not bringing it up.

I did manage to get the final set of strips for the Sticks and Stones put together yesterday, between phone calls and searching for our marriage certificate. I shredded an envelope filled with tax papers from the early 70s through 2006. Cleaned out the lock boxes and organized the one that I'll keep and gave the other to Mike for his papers. All in all it was a busy and productive day.

Prayers for those in need, there are so many. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

Star lover
March 21st, 2018, 09:04 AM
Oh Blondie......you brought to mind soooo much. I am born, raised in Michigan, buutttt, my parents, GP, etc are all southerners. All over the south.

So howdy!

Soda, Coke, Pop, Dop, ......oh my! All names for.....mmmmm, well Coke for me (generic for all soda pops).

Then ......can you carry me up to Walmart's?

I'm fit as a fiddle an not figurin on getting sick anytime soon.....ant that's the truth! I'm not askin for a heap o trouble...just some gobbers and hoecake for me!

He wasn't born with a lick of horse sense.

Well I'm a hankering for some poke salad, so I reckon I better skedaddle.

Hope all y'all have a snug as a bug day!

JCY
March 21st, 2018, 09:10 AM
Good Morning ~ Blondie, how fun to learn your locale's word meanings. New meanings to the word "curious". I've noticed you still use the word "carry" to transport someone in your car. I first learned that expression from a friend who was from Carolina. Snow is affecting the Wash. D.C. area. DS#1 who works downtown is teleworking from home today. Just a few in. of snow in that area boggles their minds. Schools are closed, the govt. shuts down, etc. Of course, with the daily traffic mess they have back there, it's easy to see how some weather could complicate things.

I have Bible Study Fellowship this a.m. It's my week to play the piano. Our discussion group is having a fellowship potluck lunch after class. Then I need to make a stop at Bed, Bath, & Beyond to buy a water pik, then go to the groc. store.

I finally ordered a white noise/sound spa yest. from Amazon. It will be here next week. I found some jeans I liked, but alas they weren't available in my size. Frustrating. So I'm still shopping for pull-on elastic waist denim jeans.

I'm glad to see that serial bomber in TX was apprehended. They warned people to be on the look out for packages that might still be around.

Well, I need to mix up my salad for the luncheon & fix DH's breakfast. Have a good day.

Blondie
March 21st, 2018, 09:10 AM
Oh Blondie......you brought to mind soooo much. I am born, raised in Michigan, buutttt, my parents, GP, etc are all southerners. All over the south.

So howdy!

Soda, Coke, Pop, Dop, ......oh my! All names for.....mmmmm, well Coke for me (generic for all soda pops).

Then ......can you carry me up to Walmart's?

I'm fit as a fiddle an not figurin on getting sick anytime soon.....ant that's the truth! I'm not askin for a heap o trouble...just some gobbers and hoecake for me!

He wasn't born with a lick of horse sense.

Well I'm a hankering for some poke salad, so I reckon I better skedaddle.

Hope all y'all have a snug as a bug day!

Well, hush my mouth! We may be kissin cousins!
I am a split person. Half yankee, half rebel. You and I are always betwixt and befuddled.

Off to sit with the kids. Today is Infusion Day for DD - hoping her ride will make it - it is really putting the snow down now - although school is only on a delay.

smiles

Sandy Navas
March 21st, 2018, 09:32 AM
Well, my stars and garters, if this isn't an interesting thread.

Bubby
March 21st, 2018, 09:38 AM
Mornin Y'all....Blondie, the two of us are country to the bone....that's why we talk so well on the phone, no translation needed! A few of my words I've had to explain are:

ceppin (except): I want all of those ceppin the blue one.

hunker down: Standing firm or taking shelter (we're hunkered down for a storm)

coke sodie: Any kind of soda.

dinner = lunch supper = dinner. Be careful who you invite for dinner, they could arrive at noon.

Despite these differences we all manage to communicate pretty well.

I'm going to try to have a slow day. Wishing you a sweet Wednesday.

Cathy F
March 21st, 2018, 10:03 AM
Blondie, I like your meaning of the word curious and might add that to my vocabulary. In New York we call them something else but I'll mind my manners and hush my mouth!

Right now we are experiencing rain, which according to the weather casters will turn to snow this afternoon and drop anywhere from 6-10" of snow on us. They get excited predicting a storm and those snow levels keep growing!
Working away on the fidgit pads, have the fronts to 18 of them sewn and one completely sandwiched. Whittling them down a few each day.

Wishing everyone a good day, for those in the storm path to be safe, and continued prayers for those with health problems.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
March 21st, 2018, 10:04 AM
Morning y'all.
This thread put a smile on my face. The different dialects as we call them here can be interesting, especially the French language. In Ontario, we prefer to call ourselves Francophones, but depending what area or city you are from, French can be well spoken or mixed with English. Used separately, we say that you are bilingual. Use the words from each language, to make yourself understood is to be 'bar langue' which is frowned upon in schools. As a kid I was fascinated with learning English, and would often mix the two in a sentence.
I digress as I do understand many of the expressions that you have mentioned. Maybe it's because as a kid I visited my relatives in the states and they spoke funny to me. I did have curious relatives. My ex's relative were even more curious to me.

My hairdresser called to cancel my appointment yesterday, and it's rescheduled to next week. I just hope we don't get hit with a snow storm as she's an hour away in the country. The sun is shining here, and we're expecting temp to rise just above zero. Yeah.

Today I will go help my daughter make waffles and prep food for my grandson's 1st birthday brunch on Saturday. We will see all the grandkids, so we are splitting the group for Easter and bringing them to restaurant on Saturday and Sunday. That way it's easier for them to go to their other side of family. With DH back issues, I am too worn out for us to cook big meal and have GKs over.

Tomorrow I am going out of town as I have rented the HQ Amara long arm to finish a quilt. Just want to play with it a few times to see if we might make this big purchase. It's more the space to put it that concerns me at this time. DH is digging in, as he doesn't want to be 90 before he gets one. Good point.

Monique
March 21st, 2018, 10:49 AM
Good morning y'all. A bright blue sky here and no clouds in sight for today at least. It is starting to warm up a little. I will wait until later to go for a walk.

My brother met me at Victoria's Quilts yesterday and brought me the extension table he made me. It is perfect except for one wee spot. I might take an exacto knife and chisel it out, we shall see. I attached the binding onto the baby quilt yesterday so this morning I am sewing it down.

Tomorrow I have an appointment for a c-pap machine. I will be taking it home for the night and return it in the morning. We shall see if I really need one or not.

There is a 4-wheel bike rally here on Saturday so hubby wants to leave town. Don't know where I am going but going nonetheless.

Have a great day everyone.

KPH
March 21st, 2018, 01:07 PM
Mornin Y'all....Blondie, the two of us are country to the bone....that's why we talk so well on the phone, no translation needed! A few of my words I've had to explain are:

ceppin (except): I want all of those ceppin the blue one.

hunker down: Standing firm or taking shelter (we're hunkered down for a storm)

coke sodie: Any kind of soda.

dinner = lunch supper = dinner. Be careful who you invite for dinner, they could arrive at noon.

Despite these differences we all manage to communicate pretty well.

I'm going to try to have a slow day. Wishing you a sweet Wednesday.

Oh Barb, my poor oldest grandson didn't have a clue what supper was when we moved here and started having Wednesday night suppers. Dinner is their supper, lunch is lunch for them- but Grandpa Mac came home for dinner at lunch time. SO I know why we all stay so confused about what time the meal is going on the table. No matter what, we give times... Morgan's family gets a 30 minute head start and they'll show up on time.

am2901
March 21st, 2018, 01:26 PM
Anita wrote "I'm fit as a fiddle an not figurin on getting sick anytime soon.....ant that's the truth! I'm not askin for a heap o trouble...just some gobbers and hoecake for me!"

Anita, I know what hoecakes are (love 'em), but what are gobbers?

Star lover
March 21st, 2018, 01:30 PM
Anita wrote "I'm fit as a fiddle an not figurin on getting sick anytime soon.....ant that's the truth! I'm not askin for a heap o trouble...just some gobbers and hoecake for me!"

Anita, I know what hoecakes are (love 'em), but what are gobbers?

Oh so sorry! Rotten spell check....goobers....peanuts! Alas, I can't eat them...flares my rosacea......sigh.....

grammaterry
March 21st, 2018, 05:52 PM
Lets go to the house doesn't necessarily mean you're invited, just that we're takin' leave.
I remember 40 years ago first movin' here to NC and my DH was a real southerner. I had just had my ear removed so my lip reading and hearing were not in the best shape. We were coming home over the mountain and he said, "I just missed a reindeer" and I said, where, I don't see one. He said, its everywhere...all over the road...I said, "what did you say...He repeated...He said slowly, IT JUST MUST HAVE RAINED HERE. I pointed out that the reason I didn't get it was the structure of the sentence. It should have been "It must have just rained here: " and it the IT had had a "t" on it that would have helped. Anyway, not only are some of the words a bit different...the structure is too and lots of the letters dangle.
Now, mine dangle too and my vowel sounds have switched a few places.

LauraP
March 22nd, 2018, 07:59 PM
well butter my butt and call me a biscuit!!!both my husbands gave/give me a hard time for saying warsh when I want to clean something. Not from the south but am from farm country. My MIL used to round up the dishes when she cleaned the table and roust out the chickens. The kids would play in the roya back of the place but they had to watch for cyots.
I learned both Spanish and French in school and now can't speak either cuz I mix them up so bad.

LauraP
March 22nd, 2018, 08:10 PM
Ultimate child threat----I brought you into this world, I can take you out.
Ultimate husband threat---I'm going to kick your butt so hard you're going to have to look up to pee.

My fathers favorite---I'm going to hit you right between the eye and eyeball. HUH? Still haven't figured that one out.

I wouldn't date him, he's a double body bagger. Real ugly

them biscuits would make fair to middlin ammo.

if'n you can't stand a spoon up in it, the coffee ain't ready. It'll shore nuf put hair on your chest.

TMP
March 22nd, 2018, 09:24 PM
I'm laughing so hard here at the reindeer story Grammaterrry. That is just too funny. I was born and raised in Miss and now live in Alabama. SL makes us smile when he is looking for a parking space. He calls it a park. First time I heard him say ohhh that looks like a good park I had no idea what he was talking about. . I also got a ton of grief from my DH because I put an "R" in wash. We were in Boston once and my DH ordered iced tea. They brought him hot tea and a glass of ice! We thought that was funny.