PDA

View Full Version : I give myself very good advice

Blondie
March 20th, 2018, 08:23 AM

Hello Folksies

When my children were becoming tweens I would tell them that for the rest of their life, they would be on a table and the rest of the world standing around on the floor. That they would need to develop good biceps and lift everyone they met up with them. That the law of gravity would kick in quickly and they would be brought down to a lower level if they didn't. I suppose that is an issue that really doesn't just apply to tweens.

I've always had a very strong work ethic. I was raised to not be idle. Even though as a child my generation didn't have the tv availability we do today, we were not allowed to just sit and watch tv. If it was on, we were dusting, vacuuming or folding laundry, darning socks - anyone else remember darning socks? - or ironing. These days if I am going to be sitting with the tube on, I generally have a quilt in my lap. Heck I remember the first tv my parents purchased, too. I used to think how many ways culture and society has grown and changed in my parent's lifetime but heckfire shoot! Think of ours! It can be quite interesting to think of how far we have come and how fast we are getting there! Which leads me to wonder, since the pendulum swings both ways, do you think that the older skills that our grandparents had will be sought after again? Certainly quilting is - but what others can you think of? I love to learn!

Star lover
March 20th, 2018, 08:43 AM
Morning Blondie and all....

I too was raised with a strong work ethic. We didn't get a TV until the 60's and I was about 10......mmmmm, I think I just dated myself. One of the first things we watched wa the moon landing and walk......eerie green picture and all (but it was a black and white TV?!). Anyone remember that? What a thrill. I remember going to a friend's house and they had the first color TV in the area. Her dad sold TV's. I stopped and just stood there with my mouth open in awe.......not we don't even think about the color. In fact many are even going back to black and white photos! What's old is new again!

As for old skills, I've heard lots about preppers in our area. Secret meetings and stashes of food and supplies for that time when the world crashes. They are fermenting, smoking, canning, and doing (maybe more like learning, anyway) all that old time stuff, cause it might just be needed.

My son was invited to a secret meeting once and had to promise not to reveal where the meeting was or what went on. He's a survivalist by learning. He loves ......LOVES the outdoors and has gotten "lost" on purpose (he was smart not to tell me, until years after or I would have freaked!) only to survive off the land. He loves that......not me! He's teaching his children all kinds of stuff and the oldest isn't even 5!

Oh well, off topic......

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.
Love and hugs.....and prayers for so many!

Bubby
March 20th, 2018, 08:47 AM
Good Morning Blondie & Everyone, It's spitting snow right now and oh so cold. We have the most unpredictable weather here.

Jeff let me sleep in a little this morning and brought me a cup of tea in to wake me up. I think he knew I was up with Dottie last night.

Let's remember to keep our prayers going for Beth. She's in the middle of a heartbreaking situation right now. She needs strength and peace and courage.

Have a great day everyone.

Monique
March 20th, 2018, 08:53 AM
Good morning. Off to Victoria's Quilts this morning. I am also picking up a quilt to deliver to a friend. I just delivered her husband one and now I discovered that she also has cancer. Unbelievable!!

My brother is going to meet me there too and deliver the extension table he made me. Can't wait to see it.

Have a great day everyone, got to scoot off.

KPH
March 20th, 2018, 09:09 AM
Good Morning All,
It was truly a busy day yesterday. Mike needed to take a trip to NAPA to pick up spark plugs/wires/ air filters- ie general maintenance items for his truck. Since he puts his whole paycheck into his savings he wanted to get cash for the items and his lunch money for the week with one stop. It wasn't a problem for me. I told him to ask for the prices without his dad's discount (one benefit I get to keep for life), then when we went back he asked for the discount. Boy, if he could have floated I think he would have been over the moon. Thank goodness Howard got his discount transferred before he passed.

We went out to dinner and tried a place that we pass a lot on the way to the shopping center. There's always a crowd there. Now we know why. That was a delicious dinner and very reasonable prices. The seafood was delicious! I had a senior shrimp and clams platter. I wish we'd gone there earlier! Even better, they deliver! So if Mike is working those weird hours and I want something different, I can get some fresh seafood brought right to me!

I worked on the Sticks and Stones yesterday. I've gotten two of the strip sets done. Since Mike works today, I'll have time to work on it.

Time to get busy. I need to figure out what's for family dinner tomorrow and home school on Thursday.

Prayers for those in need, we have so many families that are hurting and hard decisions that have to be made. It breaks my heart for them. Prayers for strength to face the day, even if it's moment by moment. Prayers for healing touches, peace and comfort. Prayers of thanksgivings for all of our many blessings.

JCY
March 20th, 2018, 09:12 AM
Good Morning, All ~ "Those were the days , my friend..." TV -- we didn't have one when I was growing up. I used to sneak off to the neighbor's to watch theirs. The neighborhood kids would gather 'round, sitting on the floor waiting for that B/W TV to come on in the afternoon. We watched Howdy Doody, the Lone Ranger, etc. By the time I had kids, we had color TV. They grew up on Sesame Street & Mr. Roger's Neighborhood.

Yes, there definitely was a strong work ethic at our home, what with my dad being a preacher and all. I wish today's youth had a good work ethic. At my son's workplace, they have a hard time getting reliable people to work & do a good job.

Ironing ~ yes, one day a week. My mom had a bushel basket lined with a plastic tablecloth like material (was it oil cloth?), so it was waterproof. She'd sprinkle the clothes the day before, roll them up, put them in that basket & cover them with a towel so they'd be just moist enough for ironing the next day. No spray starch in those days. You mixed up the starch in water, dipped in the clothes, etc. My dad always needed the collars & cuffs of his long-sleeved white shirts starched.

Yest. I finished the border on the latest quilt (pics in another thread). Did some organizing of my fabric that was spread around. Made a sample block of the Bordered 9-P to have for practice FMQ. It's time to get some of these tops sandwiched & do some quilting.

Yest. I started the heavy metal detox protocol in prep for my dental work next Mon. We're going to start with one of my teeth that has an amalgam (mercury) filling. It remains to be seen if he can save the tooth or it will need a crown.

No more time now. Have a great Tuesday.

auntstuff
March 20th, 2018, 09:50 AM
Very much agreed. And I still darn my winter wool socks. They are expensive!

Carlie Wolf
March 20th, 2018, 10:07 AM
Oh yes, I remember the first black and white tv. Remember having to fiddle with those darn rabbit ears too LOL I always loved history so wondering about the "old" ways were always interesting to me. I decided to learn weaving after a particularly scary dream back in my 20's. Then handspinning because I felt purchasing wool yarn was just too expensive. I found throughout my life I always would try to learn something new of the "old ways". My interest was mainly that should it ever be needed again I could help people relearn them. It made it so much fun for me. I recall my grandmother watching me handspinning and saying "Oh my, we never did that for fun back in my day". She remember having to spin wool. I pretty much culminated when I moved to Canada and lived offgrid for almost 10 years. I learned so very much! I'll never regret doing that.

I'm really happy with the headway I'm making on learning how to draw my own designs and change them to vector art for digitalizing my own embroidery. I haven't felt like doing actual quilts at the moment and my LA decided to act up so I currently can't finish my last shade for my sewing room. Good news is that the company is mailing me the part that was lost and causing my threads to jam the bobbin area.....for free!!! I should be getting that later this week. I figure that soon enough I'll have the opportunity to start my gardens for the Spring and that's always fun :-)

Oh yes JCY....Howdy Doodie....Lone Ranger....Cisco Kid!

LauraP
March 20th, 2018, 01:07 PM
We lived off the grid for a while when I was a teenager. Not because we wanted to but because we were that poor! I think the experience of living in a tent and then later in a one room cabin in the mountains of Colorado prepared me for the rest of life. I don't worry about the future. I know I will survive. Carrying water uphill, no toilet or just an outhouse, cooking on a wood stove or the campfire taught me a lot. We used to blow up the two ring kiddy pool, wash three heads of hair, then took our baths, mopped the floor and watered the flowers all with two small buckets of water. Dad always got his own water because he was always so dirty. Had to be careful when drying our hair not to burn our arms on the wood stove.
Later, when I had small children, we heated with a wood/coal stove. I always told the kids to stay off the hearth but one time the two year old decided to teeter on the edge to dry off. Sure enough she fell back into the stove and the trim burned double bars across her butt cheeks. When the kids went to daycare the next day the teacher saw the burn and asked the older daughter what had happened. Being a ranchers kid, and only five, she told them we had branded her so if she got lost we could find her. Luckily, the teacher knew us well and just laughed. If that had happened now we would have been in big trouble.

geegeequilts
March 20th, 2018, 03:24 PM
Blondie...you always make me laugh & sit back & go hmmmm.. Having a garden & growing vegetables to "can" or freeze. Both grandmas made homemade vegetable soup. Both quilted (by hand). I'm in the process of getting my much love sister/aunt (she's only 4 years older than me) to write down some of the recipes I remember from my childhood. Ironically, my daughter just phoned wanting me to write down some things I cooked when she & her brother ate. There was one thing I made they didn't care too much for & said "oooh yuck" whenever I cooked it. I'll have to ask her what it was.

Also both grandmas had the deluxe outdoor "facilities". One eventually got indoor plumbing but one never did & we had to use the infamous "chamber pot" at night. Don't ask me how THAT went, lol!!

Crocheting is something one grandma did but I've discovered I have 2 left thumbs & can do a little but I tend to make my stitches too tight,

Oh my, please bring back some of the "good ol' days" but not all.

And while we're thinking please continue praying for Beth & her family.

Gina

SuzanneOrleansOntario
March 20th, 2018, 05:08 PM
Oh I remember watching tv in Black and white. I think we only had 2 or 3 channels at most. An English Channel from Ottawa, and it had the Mickey Mouse show. I must have been 5 when I would watch. I taught myself the songs and learned how to spell in English. I didn't know English as my family and entire neighbourhood/world was French. We also had a French channel from Montreal, but I don't remember shows, but my dad watched Hockey Night in Canada. We had to be quiet or leave the room.

I first remember seeing a colour TV when we visited my aunt in NY state. They were rich farmers and had no kids. They also had a pink and a turquoise princess phone. My aunt kitchen was like I had never seen. She had light blue appliances, and the freezer was on the bottom. She always put out pre-sliced cheese, something we didn't have. We had to slice our own cheese. I liked going there, as my brother and I would run up and down the two stair cases. But I was a city kid, and didn't like the smells of farm animals.

Today I wish I could go off grid. I do cook from scratch, make own pickles and preserves. I like to think I can make something out of nothing if I have to, and creative that way like my dad. I think these are skills that need to be passed along. We don't need all the stuff we have.

I miss letter writing to friends.

jjkaiser
March 20th, 2018, 06:52 PM
Love this topic. We didn't get a color TV until I was in high school and the first color program I saw was the Rosebowl Parade. I still remember how amazed I was, I even actually loved the commercials, esp the NBC peacock.

Yes, idle hands were a no-no in my house when I was growing up. Mom could always find housework for us to do!! We also had two large area rugs with fringe, can you believe one of our jobs was combing all the tangles and dog fuzz out of the fringe! I hated that job. Mom was very big on spring cleaning too, flipping mattresses, lining all the kitchen cabinets with new shelf paper, and washing every single dish we owned! Including everything in the china cabinet that included two sets of china and lots of very fragile breakable glass stuff. My favorite part of spring cleaning was polishing the sterling silverware, something I actually still like to do. I inherited Mom's double set of sterling and use it every single day, along with cloth napkins at every meal. Why save that stuff for holidays only. It is so pretty and a joy to use. My sister laughs at me, they eat practically every meal off of paper plates.

Carlie Wolf
March 20th, 2018, 07:25 PM
LOL, I remember those other things too jjkaiser. It is a fun thread, isn't it? Do you remember seeing those frames we use to starch curtains and then hang them up on? My grandmother had one of those toilets where the tank hung from the ceiling with a chain hanging from it for flushing. Oh and of course a wringer washer <grin> I loved polishing silver too. I had one person who I loved baby sitting for and I use to pull out her silver and polish it when I got bored. I recall she gave my name to a friend of hers and when I got there the first time....there was all her silver out on the dining table with polish and a rag. hummmmmmmmmmmm, nooooooooooooo. The job I hated the worst was ironing (5 girls and way too many cotton skirts, blouses and dresses to do once a week). It wasn't until three years ago when I started quilting that I stopped cursing the dreaded iron :-) Now I actually see some that I think Ohhh I wish I had one of those.