PDA

View Full Version : Car accident...

shermur
March 19th, 2018, 12:34 PM
:(

How sad that for 8 years, I have taken care of my dream car and some punk kid rams into my car this morning. And then, tries to lie his way out of it......so angry right now.

No job, no money and now this.....I don't think there will be enough tears today....:icon_mad:

Kgrammiecaz
March 19th, 2018, 12:37 PM
Oh NOOOOO. What a horrible way to start your day. And I know no matter that insurance covers it, they do not cover our inconvenience nor the care we put into the vehicle. Hugs!

LLLinda
March 19th, 2018, 12:40 PM
Oh boy! You really have to look for the window that is supposed to open on this one!!!

Carlie Wolf
March 19th, 2018, 12:42 PM
Oh man that's horrible. How sad. Did the jerk have insurance? Is there any way you can replace it with that?

shermur
March 19th, 2018, 12:48 PM
I guess he has insurance; nothing was exchanged at the scene of the accident. The police office stated the "accident summary" and all information will be emailed to those of us involved in the accident.

I have to file a form report with the state DMV division within 72 hours?

Star lover
March 19th, 2018, 12:52 PM
Oh Sherri, so much to process and get through. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Hope all works out and the kid gets what he deserves!

LauraP
March 19th, 2018, 01:13 PM
But more importantly, are you okay? Or has your body told you yet? Sometimes it takes a while to feel the aches.

Carlie Wolf
March 19th, 2018, 01:19 PM
I'm not sure what the rules are now in Vermont. I moved from there back in 2000. I don't know about the 72hr rule. Have you contacted your insurance company yet?

Yes.....are you alright? For some reason I was assuming that you were not in the vehicle when this happened?

chelea
March 19th, 2018, 01:23 PM
Reporting this to insurance will make both parties' rates go up. Maybe he/his parents will agree to pay the full cost of repair out of pocket. Just a thought.

shermur
March 19th, 2018, 01:24 PM
So far, so good...I naturally have aches and pains...

shermur
March 19th, 2018, 01:26 PM
Reporting this to insurance will make both parties' rates go up. Maybe he/his parents will agree to pay the full cost of repair out of pocket. Just a thought.

Michele.....there is no way I would even think about talking to the little jerk after how much I witnessed his deceit in trying to cover up his actions. YIKES! No, I will go through his insurance company and pray that it is all legal and in effect.

shermur
March 19th, 2018, 01:28 PM
I'm not sure what the rules are now in Vermont. I moved from there back in 2000. I don't know about the 72hr rule. Have you contacted your insurance company yet?

Yes.....are you alright? For some reason I was assuming that you were not in the vehicle when this happened?

Carlie:
I suppose I am OK; I am more depressed than anything. My driving record is impeccable and to be hit from out of no where....It's just very disappointing that people aren't honest anymore.

jjkaiser
March 19th, 2018, 02:03 PM
I hope you are okay and I hope that little s*** gets what's comng to him. I would also go through the insurance company the legit way. No way would I rely on his "assurance" to take care of the costs in cash just between the two of you. You would probably wind up getting screwed over.

JCY
March 19th, 2018, 02:21 PM
Sherri ~ Been there, done that. As you may remember last year in Feb. my car was rear-ended by an 18 y.o. Hispanic guy with no valid driver's license, no ins., & he fled the scene. He was caught within the hour & charged with 6 counts; he went to jail, since he had a prior incident. When his court case come up a few mos. later, he was a no show. I've heard nothing since. Because our car is older, we had $1,000. deductible on it, which we had to pay, plus a couple hundred more. I got a good whack on the head & was sore for some time. The auto repair guys did a great job of fixing up my car. I hope you're ok.

KarenC
March 19th, 2018, 02:33 PM
Sorry you had to go through this. It is not fun. I had my dream car which was paid for. Car was about 7 yrs old, and unfortunately I hit a parked Hummer! I know you're thinking how could I miss that, but the sun was in my eyes, and I didn't move fast enough. Due to the age of my car and the amount of the damage, it was considered totaled. Got a new one and 2 years later someone turned in front of me and whacked me. Totaled again. You just never know these days.

Praying you get through this without too much angst.

Carlie Wolf
March 19th, 2018, 02:41 PM
Shermur, I'm surprised you are not getting any insurance info faster. With a 72 hr deadline I wonder if the police incident report would get there by that time?
That's a lot of damage so I'd want an insurance company involved too. Hopefully he has coverage. Your insurance company can also assist you with any of the deadlines you may need to follow. Your insurance might be a good place to ask about potential medical exams to try to determine if there will be any medical problems. That looked like a pretty heavy hit for the you inside your car.

Caroline T.
March 19th, 2018, 03:21 PM
Shermur, I'm so sorry that there's nothing we can say or do that is going to make this process less frustrating or painful for you.

I agree with Carlie, contact your insurance company ASAP. They, believe it or not, or there to protect YOUR interest as well as their own. Depending on your coverage, you may be entitled to rental car coverage, and medical, even if your insurance company pays out to you, they'll go after the little sh** for reimbursement.

Hope this is all resolved quickly and that your body's bumps bruises aches and pains heal quickly too.

Bubby
March 19th, 2018, 03:24 PM
This makes me sick, Sherri. You really don't need this ordeal. I'm praying that everything will work out. Now make sure you aren't injured. Tomorrow will tell you more. (((HUGS)))

Anitamae56
March 19th, 2018, 03:34 PM
You sure have had enough to cope with, sending some positive thoughts and prayers!

shermur
March 19th, 2018, 03:53 PM
Sherri ~ Been there, done that. As you may remember last year in Feb. my car was rear-ended by an 18 y.o. Hispanic guy with no valid driver's license, no ins., & he fled the scene. He was caught within the hour & charged with 6 counts; he went to jail, since he had a prior incident. When his court case come up a few mos. later, he was a no show. I've heard nothing since. Because our car is older, we had $1,000. deductible on it, which we had to pay, plus a couple hundred more. I got a good whack on the head & was sore for some time. The auto repair guys did a great job of fixing up my car. I hope you're ok.

JCY....I have been on the phone for the past 6 hours. UGH! Thank goodness there is insurance; I have received the crash report from the police officer and I have the form for the DMV/State Division filled out and ready for DH to send via fax tomorrow. I have also contacted the guilty party's insurance company and filed claim!!! I hope to have replacement wheels by the end of the week? I should be OK, it's just depressing and I want to cry every time I think about it!

shermur
March 19th, 2018, 03:53 PM
You sure have had enough to cope with, sending some positive thoughts and prayers!

Thank you, Anita Mae!

shermur
March 19th, 2018, 04:35 PM
This makes me sick, Sherri. You really don't need this ordeal. I'm praying that everything will work out. Now make sure you aren't injured. Tomorrow will tell you more. (((HUGS)))

Thank you, Barb....you always know when to lift me up, sweetie!

Monique
March 19th, 2018, 04:38 PM
First of all, thank goodness you were not injured!! Yes tomorrow will tell the tale for sure.

So terribly sorry this happened to you. Hopefully it will get taken care of sooner rather than later.

Sending hugs.

MaggieSue
March 19th, 2018, 05:15 PM
So sorry to hear about the accident. Prayers to help you heal and survive this issue!!!

LindaKay75
March 19th, 2018, 05:54 PM
I am so sorry and wish I was there to help you fight this lying JERK. So glad you were not hurt. But still get checked out and on record just in case an injury shows up later. And to think My State Farm insurance agent told me it's our age that causes all the accidents. I wanted to punch him in the face. You know to take all necessary steps to get this solved. Keeping you in thought and prayer.

GuitarGramma
March 19th, 2018, 06:03 PM
Sherri, I'm so sorry this happened to you. And the guilty party tried to weasel his way out? That makes it 10 times worse. I pray that you will quickly have a new car and that it will in some way be even better than the one you just lost.

KPH
March 19th, 2018, 06:05 PM
I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this.

I know what you mean about people lying to cover themselves. I was in an accident, over half way through the intersection and the lady pulled right into me. She lied and lied. I can honestly say, I don't miss driving.

Please take care of yourself.

shermur
March 19th, 2018, 06:45 PM
Sherri, I'm so sorry this happened to you. And the guilty party tried to weasel his way out? That makes it 10 times worse. I pray that you will quickly have a new car and that it will in some way be even better than the one you just lost.

Toni, if I can even get the same year, the same model and all the bells and whistles I had...I will be ever so grateful. Like I said in the beginning...my dream car I have had for 8 years. It needed a little TLC, but it got me where I needed to go and it still looked pretty good. It just makes me sick to my stomach. And I pray the little jerk doesn't fight the ticket and I have to go to court. That will be the icing on the cake.....

shermur
March 19th, 2018, 07:56 PM

Toni, if I can even get the same year, the same model and all the bells and whistles I had...I will be ever so grateful. Like I said in the beginning...my dream car I have had for 8 years. It needed a little TLC, but it got me where I needed to go and it still looked pretty good. It just makes me sick to my stomach. And I pray the little jerk doesn't fight the ticket and I have to go to court. That will be the icing on the cake.....

auntiemern
March 19th, 2018, 08:42 PM
Awe Sherri. So sorry this happened to you. Praying you are ok, and the insurance settles for enough thay you get back in to a decent set of wheels. The whole thing just stinks.

grammaterry
March 19th, 2018, 10:23 PM
Once I was hit in a parking lot and when the police came the lady who hit me lied. She knew the officer and he backed up her story in the police report. So...things could be worse.
On the other hand, My son was hit in January by a drunk driver who fled the scene on foot and reported the car stolen. The car belonged to his grandmother and had a half bottle of crown and a bag of weed in the front seat. Grandma retracted the stolen vehicle report and the man was arrested last week but they say it will be two years before he goes to court.
In the mean time, son had a broken hip in 3 places and will probably always have a limp. The grandma only had minimum liability insurance which barely covered the car. DS had uninsured motorist insurance and they will pay the medical bills. DS has contacted an attorney and they say that his claim should be worth $300000 and that if his own insurance isn't willing to make that offer, he can get it in a court settlement from his own insurance.
So, my round about saying to you is...definitely go to a doctor and get yourself a good physical. It may be worth it down the road.

Navy Wife
March 19th, 2018, 10:54 PM
So glad you were not hurt, but as others have said, go to the doctor and get a check-up. Your insurance company should do a lot of the work for you. Ours always says to call them as soon as you call the police and make sure you're not bleeding!
You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

quilt_gems_25
March 20th, 2018, 02:16 AM
I am glad that your aches and pains are not so bad today, but, please get yourself checked out. My dtr and I were in the car when we were hit from behind. Because we got checked out, when the pains started, the other driver's insurance covered all the medical.

Blondie
March 20th, 2018, 08:01 AM
oh no! good grief. I understand all too well the frustration, anger and tears. Big hugs to you and many many prayers. Sometimes it is very difficult to say to yourself and others - this too shall pass and get better. Don't slap me. just take the hug!

Also if I recall, florida is a NO Fault insurance state. Both parties must file and then if their insurance doesn't pay, your insurance will go after them to get reimbursed.

SallyO'Sews
March 21st, 2018, 05:31 PM
Oh, my dear, I hope you are feeling better by today. As your signature line says so beautifully, don't let that young man's ugly spoil your beautiful. Sending you quilty cyber-hugs!

shermur
March 29th, 2018, 04:25 PM
I am still no closer than I was over 10 days ago. I have still been denied a rental vehicle, the insurance company that the guilty party is under will not bend not do they care what my circumstances are.

I have had to decline job interviews; I need wheels to get supplies and myself to the upcoming quilt festival. I am past aggravated.....

bubba
March 29th, 2018, 06:42 PM
Do you have your own insurance company? Deal with them, that is what you pay them for. They will go after the other company when all is said and done.

Don't let the other company take advantage of you. They are trying to pay out the least amount they can.

shermur
March 29th, 2018, 07:01 PM
Do you have your own insurance company? Deal with them, that is what you pay them for. They will go after the other company when all is said and done.

Don't let the other company take advantage of you. They are trying to pay out the least amount they can.

Yes, Pat.....I do have coverage on my vehicle. But, my insurance cannot come into play (so I have been told) until the other insurance company totally denies my claim since the other driver was at fault......

I contacted the Department of Financial Regulation today...let's see where this takes me?

Kgrammiecaz
March 29th, 2018, 07:19 PM
Yes, Pat.....I do have coverage on my vehicle. But, my insurance cannot come into play (so I have been told) until the other insurance company totally denies my claim since the other driver was at fault......

I contacted the Department of Financial Regulation today...let's see where this takes me?

I think it depends on the kind of coverage you have. You can always check with your insurance company - or maybe you already have. Hopefully the other company will take care of it all and you will not have to worry about it.