PDA

View Full Version : Early Happy St Patrick's Day

Carlie Wolf
March 16th, 2018, 07:42 PM
I just couldn't wait any longer.............had to have my corned beef and cabbage this evening. It's been cooking all day. I'm headed down to the kitchen now. Ohhhh, I can smell it, it's ready, it's calling my name! Then I'll look forward to reuben sandwiches for supper tomorrow. Yummmmy

Angelia
March 16th, 2018, 07:50 PM
Happy St. Pat's--I'm craving soda bread!

KPH
March 16th, 2018, 08:06 PM
We had ours on our regular Wednesday supper. DIL works tonight and tomorrow night, so I probably won't see the kids tomorrow. I don't know what they have planned DS#2 has work from 2- 10 tomorrow evening. I guess it will be pretty quiet around here (until Uncle Joe comes in!)

Sandy Navas
March 16th, 2018, 08:52 PM
My brisket is in the brine, going in the pot in the morning to simmer into wonderful goodness. Soda bread resting (already baked). I just sampled the beer (shame). Looking forward. Sure hope my green shirt is clean. (I can honestly claim some true Irish blood!!)

Carlie Wolf
March 16th, 2018, 09:04 PM
Sandy did you do green beer?

I just finished absolutely stuffing myself. I couldn't even fit any dessert. oh btw, I embroidered some green lace shamrock earrings two weeks ago so I'll wear them tomorrow :-) And of course my front door Irish wall hanging is up for the whole world to see.

chelea
March 17th, 2018, 12:12 AM
I couldn't wait and had corned beef and cabbage last Monday. I'm so excited because tomorrow my LQS (the lovely lady who owns it is of Irish heritage) is having a St. Patrick's Day sale...everything in the store is on sale. I have a list and plan to get there, wearing my green, as soon as it opens.

Carlie Wolf
March 17th, 2018, 12:25 AM
Great way to celebrate St Paddy's Day Chelea

Carol336
March 17th, 2018, 07:36 AM
I just couldn't wait any longer.............had to have my corned beef and cabbage this evening. It's been cooking all day. I'm headed down to the kitchen now. Ohhhh, I can smell it, it's ready, it's calling my name! Then I'll look forward to reuben sandwiches for supper tomorrow. Yummmmy

Carrie - how many hours did you actually cook it. I'm having our dinner group (8) for corned beef and cabbage tonight....cooking 3 (total of about 7 1/2 pounds)
at the same time and wondering how long to leave it simmer. I googled it and it said 2 1/2 hours, but that doesn't seem long enough to me.

Bubby
March 17th, 2018, 07:54 AM
My Grandma always said that corned beef needs to simmer real slow. Carol, I would allow 3.5 - 4 hours. I cook our meat the day before and refrigerate it separate from the broth. The next day I take most of the fat off the broth and bring the broth to a boil and cook the veggies (carrots and potatoes, adding wedges of cabbage during the last 20 minutes or so of cooking. I slice the meat and lay it on top of the veggies to heat through. Serve with soda bread and beer.

Carol336
March 17th, 2018, 08:01 AM
My Grandma always said that corned beef needs to simmer real slow. Carol, I would allow 3.5 - 4 hours. I cook our meat the day before and refrigerate it separate from the broth. The next day I take most of the fat off the broth and bring the broth to a boil and cook the veggies (carrots and potatoes, adding wedges of cabbage during the last 20 minutes or so of cooking. I slice the meat and lay it on top of the veggies to heat through. Serve with soda bread and beer.

Thanks Barb....that's more like what I was thinking. I did think of cooking it a day ahead, but since I'd never done that before and we were serving it to company I was a little hesitant to take the chance. But on your recommendation I will definitely try that next year.

MRoy
March 17th, 2018, 09:12 AM
Happy St. Patrick's Day! We don't really celebrate it here on the farm, so it will probably be just another Saturday around here.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
March 17th, 2018, 09:31 AM
Triple Bonus celebrating day. Happy St Patrick's day. It's National Quilting Day, and to celebrate one of my favorite LQS has 50% off all batiks and all Shimmer fabrics by Northcott. It's also the anniversary for my husband of becoming Canadian, so we will enjoy maple syrup.

Unfortunately, we have to delay any celebrations as he is still on meds for his back. He does love his Guiness.

Enjoy your day.

cv quilter
March 17th, 2018, 11:02 AM
Corned beef and carrots, potatoes and onions going into the crock pot in about an hour. Cabbage later today. Got my recipe for the soda bread and looking forward to a delicious dinner. (gotta have horseradish, too, as Fred likes it with the corned beef)

Carlie Wolf
March 17th, 2018, 12:28 PM
Carol, sorry, I didn't see that until now. Yup didn't fall asleep till 4AM (uck) and just got up at 11. :-/

I agree with Buddy, 3 1/2 to 4 hours low simmer. Yesterdays I did is the slow cooker though and it was in for about 6 hours on low. 5 hours would have been better I think though because it was a little overdone. Still tasted good though :-)

auntstuff
March 17th, 2018, 12:49 PM
I just put the meat for gyros in the oven. But there's a green alien on my shirt.....

laura44
March 17th, 2018, 01:47 PM
Already cooked two corned beefs in the last two weeks. My hubby loves it, me, not
so much. I used to boil my corned beef, now I put it in the oven! Put in a covered pan,
fill 1/3 with water, cook 325, 30 minutes per pound. Turn over halfway through, make sure
water is the same level. The best corned beef ever. Don't have to keep an eye on it.

chelea
March 17th, 2018, 03:29 PM
I just put the meat for gyros in the oven. But there's a green alien on my shirt.....

I don't want to hijack the St. Paddy's day thread but can't help myself....auntstuff - would you share your recipe? we LOVE gyros.

MissMay
March 17th, 2018, 04:47 PM
What time is dinner tonight? All those corned beefs and veggies cooking have my mouth watering. Although DH is half Irish he never did anything for St. Pat's Day. I used to make the corned beef dinner years ago, DH and son's ate all the Corned beef, potatoes and carrots and left the cabbage and broth for me. I've been making a tasty Irish soda bread for years but this year's batch was a disaster, see my post in the recipe section. DH tasted some corned beef yesterday at the farm market and loved it so we may order some of their special St. Pat's dinners with all the fixings including soda bread. Sounds good to me as I won't have to cook tonight and also enjoy some soda bread.

The 19th is St. Joseph's Day and although DH isn't Italian he's sure to want some St. Joe's pastry. Seems to me DH chooses the best of foods to celebrate with.