PDA

View Full Version : Another Fri Yay

Blondie
March 16th, 2018, 07:37 AM

Hello Folksies,

So, it is Friday and another workday for me. I will bring some stitching to work on in between clients. I have a two fold reason for this. (1) it helps me complete a project quicker and (2) my dearest clients love me so much that they think everything I do is wonderful and perfect. Encouragement is important now and then. Then again, I know better. Like the rest of everyone reading this (at least I think everyone), I can find every mistake. The quilters adage about not seeing mistakes on a galloping horse is always my prayer. lol. And so, today I will be bringing in a quilt that has been the bane of my life since I started it on January 1 of this year. I have completed a few COC's, tablerunners and another half of a quilt in between now and then. This quilt just seemed to scramble my brain. It is a very simple patchwork square quilt - a good way to use up scraps. I had the hardest time getting the blocks to flow the way they were supposed to in the design. I attached numbers for the rows, took photos of it laid out the way it should be and STILL did messed up several rows. Frogging is something I don't enjoy however necessary.

When I quilt, I seem to always have to reinvent the wheel. I am a very visual learner. For a gal with a college degree, I sure have a difficult time reading and following directions. My middle son, God bless him, when I have lamented this difficulty has said "Mommyheart! (he still calls me that when he thinks I need some extra word hugs) Directions are just another person's opinion of how it's done." Huzzah, it made me feel better when he said that because it is soooo true. But then, why do I always seem to make it harder than it is? lol. I generally don't give up ~ I may set it aside until I don't remember what I was doing, but I don't give up. I like challenges. I am very good at mulling over and then committing myself to a personal challenge. That means that I will grow and learn which is always a good thing no matter what the age, right? And like so many here, it is difficult to not gage my skills to those others who seem to make everything look easy and at the same time perfect and beautiful. I prefer to turn the mirror the otherway and allow others to see their own unique abilities.

So, today I will carry my simple patchwork that drove me crazy and work on it a bit. The ladies will love it, warts and all.

shermur
March 16th, 2018, 07:42 AM
Morning, sweet Blondie.....progress onward with your project and make things happen!

It is very cold here in my area of Vermont....spring is just around the corner and it will still seem like winter here. We've gotten way too much snow this week. I am ready for warmth, I am getting tired of having to pay for heating fuel!
I am hoping to attempt to gt my sewing room organized and work on the quilts for festival that is getting nearer! I've also got to get some job inquiry calls in today....still not working since 02/26/18.

Monique
March 16th, 2018, 07:59 AM
Good morning dear friends. I have a little time before Maizyn gets up.

Well we made it to Pembroke yesterday and I bought the Cinderella dress pattern at Fabricland. Maizyn doesn't have much patience shopping. I found a 'party' dress at Value Village that she loved. Not appropriate for a child no less, but she had a t shirt on and her pants. She does love it so what the heck. Papa had given her some money so she bought herself a little bag of coloring books and a little bag of dollies. Later in the day I 'had' to play dollies with her. I am not much into dollies, but I did. I was the little dog and I was making silly animal noises. The dog would moo, or cluck or hoot or whatever came to mind. I started laughing and got into a fit and couldn't stop. You know those laughs? Needless to say we had fun nonetheless.

Just after supper we got a distress call from my neighbour. Her car had broken down and could we go pick her and her daughter up. So Maizyn and I set out to get them. They broke down not far from where I work (at the post office). I guess today one of us will take her to the garage where the car was towed.

Other than that, I don't think there is too much on the agenda. Maizyn goes home tomorrow. And then I can get back to sewing. She told me I could sew after she was gone. LOL!!

Have a great day everyone.

Star lover
March 16th, 2018, 08:04 AM
Good morning everyone!

Oh Blondie.....I'm thinkin it's a gonna get crowded in your boat, if all of us who have bad experiences with the directions of a quilt! I've been there soooo many times.....and here I thought it was just me! Somehow I feel better......guess misery loves company!

Sometimes I hurt my brain trying to figure it all out. And then sometimes I sleep on it and have an epiphany! (Mmmm, don't think I've ever typed that word before!) hope it's spelled right.

Well I managed to sew 5 blocks yesterday as well as clean. We have a basket that's sort of a catch-all of mail stuff not sure what to do with stuff. I eyed it, was going to ignore it.....again (been ignoring it for months......) but then decided to go through it. Wow, threw everything out, except 1 item. Shoulda done it a long time ago. Sure looks good! Garabage man is gonna groan though.....

Hope everyone is doing well, love and hugs to all!

.........of course I'm Irish! Well, part of me is......I'm hoping the best part.....

Ginny B
March 16th, 2018, 08:06 AM
Good morning everyone. Oh boy, am I glad it is Fri Yay! Very busy work week. We don't have any places we need to be this weekend and dh is recovering from a cold so I think we will be spending the weekend cozy at home. Hubby actually stayed home two days this week so I knew he wasn't feeling well when I didn't have to cajole him into staying home.

Next Thursday I head up to Peekskill to dog sit for #1 son John's dog, Booda. I will be there for 5 days while he finally gets to fly to California and meet his nephew Zeke for the first time. He is very excited and I am sure he is going to have a wonderful time. I am bringing my featherweight and a few projects and will have myself a mini-retreat with me, myself and I. My sis will be with me but she doesn't sew. although she did say she was bringing some jeans that needed to be hemmed. I will hand her the needle and thread. LOL

Time to get my day going. Have a fantastic Friday all. Weekend, here we come!

JCY
March 16th, 2018, 09:11 AM
Good Morning ~ No time to post now, but just popping in to say good morning. I need to fix DH's breakfast. I'll chat later.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
March 16th, 2018, 09:28 AM
Good morning all, it's cold, really turned cold yesterday. Temperature with windchill is -18. I don't want to go out, but I promised my daughter I would spend a few hours this morning with her and the boys. Michael has gone back to bed. He woke up in pain at 4am. I will wake him at 11am so he can get ready for physio after lunch. He probably overdid it yesterday. Joah, our osteopath, is a miracle worker. DH has been inching along for over 3 weeks, with walker, and no more than 10-12 steps at a time. Yesterday, he walked almost normal. Probably overdid it, as he did have to walk a distance to get to another appointment. But it is progress and encouraging for him. He was starting to get gloom and doom.

I am hoping to sew on the weekend, but the girlfriend I am making the quilt for, wants to go pick her fabric for borders. I'm not at that stage yet, but she works and our weekend our limited. If we don't go tomorrow, it will have to wait until April, so we may go. It's a country store that carries a wide selection of Shimmer by Northcott.

I have also been doing some on-line shopping this week. Expecting an order from M* and another from Connecting Threads. There's a promo code of QUILT20, that gets you 20% off entire order at checkout, for all, even clearance and sale items. I got the Me & My Sister book and a new fiction quilt novel by a new writer. I am almost done reading the last book in the Ann Hazelwood series of East Perry. I am excited that she has a new series started. I haven't seen it for sale yet, but I know that Connecting Thread will carry it when available. I always wait for sale to buy.

Hope everyone has a good day, as we face the challenges that are laid before us.

KPH
March 16th, 2018, 09:42 AM
Good Morning All,

Blondie, you're so right. We know where every tuck and imperfect points are and they're like a homing signal to us. If we get better at looking at the whole instead of honing in, we'd all be better off. I'm working on that, really hard!

Monique, I know you've had a great week with your grand. Mine will be over shortly, their mom has to work tonight so she needs to get some sleep. Jim called from the truck yesterday. It was so funny to listen to the kids in the back seat, Hi, Grandma from Zeke, then Jonathan realizing it was Thursday and he didn't come to home school time with grandma. lol. We'd told him Wednesday night at dinner that he was on Spring Break like Daddy. I guess he doesn't mind it too much.

Didn't get a lot done in the sewing room yesterday, but did get the great room/ kitchen deep cleaned. That was a big job. Mike ran the vacuum cleaner, I ran the steamer. Hopefully the glass will come for the buffet and the media center. I still need to go through and clean all of the glass, I have no idea (note the sarcasm with which it was typed) how there are so many little finger, nose and kissy prints on the glass front cabinets in this house. I will wait until after they leave today before I start!

BIL Joe arrives tomorrow. He'll be here one night, pick up his daughter and boy friend at the airport and head to his brother's house on Sunday morning. He'll leave about the time I leave for church. They'll come back here for one more night before they all go back to NC to pick up MIL. She wants to be home in time for Easter.

After he leaves on Sunday. I think I'll start work on the Sticks and Stones quilt for my bed. I'll have about a week and a half before they come back in for the night. I think I can knock it out in the evenings while Mike's at work.

Prayers for those in need- for those victims and families of the ped. bridge collapse, for strength, understanding and healing touches. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

Cathy F
March 16th, 2018, 10:11 AM
Morning all,
Just popping in with a quick hello. Have not been very productive these past two days as I pulled my back out and can barely get on my feet to stand. Grrrrr!

The sun is shining in the bedroom this morning so I will take advantage of it and raise the adjustable bed to a sitting position and read for a bit, then try to get up and take a few painful steps so I don't get too stiff. Oye, getting old isn't for sissies!
On the bright side I did get a few of the fidgit pads sewn the beginning of the week and that felt good.

Monique, glad you had a good week with your granddaughter you're making great memories for her of the time she spends with you.

Blondie- yup, I'm my worst enemy when it comes to seeing my mistakes, I can spot everyone of them!

MissMay
March 16th, 2018, 11:08 AM
OH Blondie, You used just the right saying this morning, at least for me as I woke up this morning with every joint aching and unwilling to move. With the assistance of a wonder drug, 2 cups of coffee, I'm up , dressed and moving along slowly and don't plan on stopping.

Everyone has been so busy with their quilts so I better get going too. Need to make a label for a table topper I made. It's for my great niece Nicole who got engaged recently. Actually they got engaged during the Holidays but her Mom, my sister Patti, had a heat attack New Year's Day and everything got put on hold. Patti is doing very well, driving again and getting around a bit. She's a big believer in prayers and she thanks all of the ones Forum members have said for her.

TMP
March 16th, 2018, 11:24 AM
Good Morning Everyone,

Yesterday was a nice day here and I hope today is also. Sandy is already outside dragging sticks and whatever else she can find up to the patio. About a year ago I gave my daughter my old Juki and the frame and DH sat it up for her. Can you believe yesterday was the first time she had time to sew. She wanted me to show her how to load the frame, thread, oil and all that good stuff. I walked down stairs to get coffee and she was so happy she was singing. That made me grin all over. I am excited that the Quilt Motion will be installed Monday but, I have to clean my sewing room . Well at least so they can get in the door.

Monique, time spent with grandbabies is so much fun you will miss her.
Ginny B my sister doesn't sew either. She loves hand made things but I don't think she has ever threaded a needle.

Sending prayers to the people with love ones effected by the collapse of the bridge in Florida.

JCY
March 16th, 2018, 11:56 AM
I'm back. After a cloudy start to the morning, the sun has come out. It's supposed to be close to 60 today. Yest. was DH's dr. appt. The dr. was pleased that he'd gained some weight. He had labs drawn; results are pending. In the afternoon I cooked up a kettle of his Anasazi beans. The temp. got up to 74 deg., so I opted to work outside a while instead of sewing. I cut back the 2 clematis that climb up the front porch supports, trimmed off some dead stalks from the perennials & watered 2 beds. The soil was very dry. I have hyacinths coming up as well as tulips. Lots of crocus in the back yard are blooming. Some of the perennials are turning green & showing new growth. I guess spring really is on the way.

I had a chance last evening to review our tax forms. It looks like everything is in order. I'll drop those off at the CPA's today. This morning/noon is our monthly senior fellowship & lunch at the church. There usually are ~30 of us. It's always nice to eat a meal someone else has prepared & have good conversation with friends.

I'm praying for my GGS (18 mos.) who is sick with some bug. DGD was about worn to a frazzle yest. Oliver wouldn't quit crying. He would take only sips of milk. She'd had him to the ER once where he was given an IV. She was hoping not to have to go again. They have no medical insurance. They've had a tough time of it financially & are working to reduce their debt.

Well, the hungries tell me it's time for my breakfast. Have a good week end.

CraftyJnet
March 16th, 2018, 04:40 PM
Blondie, you reminded me of a quote that my daughter (the teacher) put up on the wall of her classroom: "If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you." I think it is supposed to be encouraging but sometimes I wonder.