PDA

View Full Version : Thursday Trivia: Zebras

Star lover
March 15th, 2018, 06:53 AM
Largest of all zebra species, the Grevy's zebra (also known as the Imperial Zebra) is named for Jules Grevy, a former president of France, who received one in 1882 as a diplomatic gift from King Menelik II of Abyssinia (now Ethiopia).

A representative from the Paris museum of natural history noticed this zebra was different from other known zebras ó taller, with narrower stripes and a distinctive white belly.

He gave it the scientific name Equus grevyi in Grevy's honor. King Menelik presented Grevy's zebras to England's Queen Victoria and President Theodore Roosevelt as well.

Here are five interesting facts about them:

- These guys are the largest species of zebra and the largest of all of the wild horses in the world. They can grow to up to 275 cm long, 160 cm tall at the shoulder and weigh up to 450 kg. Unlike other species of zebra, Grevyís zebras donít have any stripes on their belly, which is how you can tell them apart. They also have a much higher crest than other zebras.

- Newborn foals can stand up after just 6 minutes and run after just 45 minutes. This helps them to escape from predators such as lions, hyenas, leopards, cheetahs and African wild dogs.

- Grevy's zebra stallions are very territorial and have the largest territories of any land herbivore, defending areas of up to 10 square kilometers.

- They live in dry areas and can go for up to 5 days without water. They can also dig holes to find water when necessary.

- These beautiful animals are endangered and are only found in parts of Ethiopia and Kenya. Their numbers have dropped from about 15,000 in the 1980ís to less than 3,000 today due to hunting, habitat loss and extreme drought.

Anitamae56
March 15th, 2018, 10:23 AM
Thank you! I always think when I see zebras what a artist God was when he created them.

grammaterry
March 15th, 2018, 10:27 AM
fascinating. Now, I have to go to the internet and translate metric system into lbs and inches.

Star lover
March 15th, 2018, 10:37 AM
fascinating. Now, I have to go to the internet and translate metric system into lbs and inches.

Oops, I meant to do that for y'all.....forgot. Silly me.

About 9 feet long; Just over 5 feet tall and about 992 pounds. Adult.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
March 15th, 2018, 11:38 AM
What a beautiful animal. Sad that it could become extinct.