PDA

View Full Version : "a three hour tour" that stranded me

grammaterry
March 13th, 2018, 01:25 PM
Well , I felt like I got on the SS MINOW for a three hour tour last Tuesday to go visit my Daughter just 150 miles away. I planned to be gone Tuesday and Wednesday. As I came down the mountain from NC into SC, I noticed my break pedal was going pretty far to the floor. Well, in 1999 I had a truck that did that and it was my ABS system going out and when I took it in then, they told me it wasn't dangerous, I just wouldn't have the really quick response of the ABS. I even elected not to have it fixed then. Well, since I am so smart, I figured, no big deal. I headed on into Spartanburg traffic at 5 pm Tuesday. I kept the truck at 8 lengths behind the cars in front and headed to DD. Got there after 5 and told SIL that I would need to go to a mechanic and have it checked because I had a warning message that said service brake system. So why not, right?
Next day as a favor to SIL they worked me in to the shop. Turns out.....my brakelines had corroded and rusted thru and I really had NO BRAKES!! They ordered new lines and when they got them replaced and started bleeding the brakes they found more of these corroded lines. THat was late Friday.
Long story short, they don't work weekends and I was still stuck. THought about renting a car and coming home and then driving back to get it ...but...the snow storm was suppose to dump 10 inches of snow on us on Monday which would strand me at home and the cost of the rental would soar so I stayed. The snow didn't happen, (just a dusting) and I am home.
I have been reading the forum on my cell [hone but not able to post. SOme of you have been so wonderful about worrying about me and I feel so loved. DH actually admitted to being lonely and you should see the house!! (he cleaned!!)
I do have lots of things to catch up on, but I may not take a three hour tour anytime soon!!

TMP
March 13th, 2018, 01:54 PM
I am glad your home and safe. I had wondered where you were. Reminds me I need to get the extended warranty and road side service for my car extended.

sewbizzy
March 13th, 2018, 01:59 PM
Terry, I'm so glad you made it home...if you didn't check in today I was going to post that I emailed you over the weekend and you were fine, but stranded due to car trouble...I missed your posts...

SallyO'Sews
March 13th, 2018, 02:11 PM
Glad you - and your truck! - made it home safe and sound!

KPH
March 13th, 2018, 02:20 PM
Glad you're home safe and sound! That trek down the mts to Spartanburg isn't one I'd attempt with failing brakes. Repeat, I'm glad that you're safe and sound!

Star lover
March 13th, 2018, 02:22 PM
Oh so thankful you're safe and home......those 3 hour tours are the worst!.... oh my and your bonus.....DH cleaning the house.....wow! Glad you're back!

RockinLou
March 13th, 2018, 02:48 PM
wow! I'm so glad you didn't risk it an head home without the breaks!!

Caroline T.
March 13th, 2018, 04:11 PM
So glad to know you made it there, and back, safely. There are worst places to be stranded, and I trust you enjoyed your extended visit with DD & SIL?

Cathy F
March 13th, 2018, 06:22 PM
Glad you made it there safely, you surely had an angel riding on your shoulder.

KarenC
March 13th, 2018, 07:36 PM
Glad you're home and safe, but maybe you need to do that more often if DH is going to clean house while you're gone. Just be more prepared by taking your sewing projects with you.

JCY
March 13th, 2018, 07:42 PM
Terry, so glad the Lord was watching over you & keeping you safe. All's well that ends well. Glad you're ok. And what a treat that DH cleaned for you!

MSN
March 13th, 2018, 10:12 PM
I don't see it as "DH cleaning for you." After all, he lives there, too. Why shouldn't he clean?

Glad you are safe, Terry. Having no brakes is a very scary thing.

tamsterg7
March 13th, 2018, 10:24 PM
Oh my gosh, your guardian angel was definitely on the trip with you! Glad you are back safe, missed the snow and had a good visit.

quilt_gems_25
March 14th, 2018, 01:51 AM
So glad you were able to stay safe even without brakes. You must be an extraordinary driver!
Just recently our 14 year old car lost its battery. When we went to get the battery, the brakes gave out. When the car was put on the lift, the frame was rusted through. The car is now retired.

Blondie
March 14th, 2018, 10:44 AM
Hi Terry!
All the snow they missed there arrived here! It's gone now, thankfully. You know us Carolina Girls.

Your angels must've lost a few feathers on your trip down the mountain. It IS good to be loved, missed and come home to a clean house.

mommadeb
March 14th, 2018, 04:22 PM
Wow-that was an adventure. Glad you got to DD safely and back home again.

jjkaiser
March 14th, 2018, 05:10 PM
Well I guess you won't be forgetting about that trip for a long time! It sounds like you were pretty close to having a major catastrophe there, glad it all ended well for you. Would your husband like my address? You know just in case he gets that cleaning bug again...