PDA

View Full Version : Back in the ICU

BethB
March 13th, 2018, 12:11 AM
DH has had a pain on the left side since this whole nightmare began. Nonetheless, he was scheduled to be transferred to rehab today. Overnight Saturday, this pain became very intense and in the morning, he was taken for a CT scan. The hospitalist dr. came in and said it appeared he had air outside the lower left bowel, so she turned it over to surgery to look at the scan. A few minutes later, a surgical resident and nurse came into his room and said he did indeed have air outside the bowel, possibly a perforation, and they recommended some kind of exploratory surgery. After they left, I said I would feel better if we talked with the oncologist. Being Sunday, I spoke with the answering service and the oncologist who was on call, called me back. After explaining what was going on, he said he didn't want anything to happen until he spoke with the surgeon, which he did.

Long story short, within the hour, he was headed down to surgery. Four and a half - five hours later, the surgeon comes in and says it took longer than they originally thought. Turns out he had a perforation in his small intestine and there was so much infection, gunk, etc. they did not close him up. They wanted to go in again either Monday or Tuesday to flush the area out again and make sure they did not miss anything. He told us he did not know if DH was going to be able to make it. He is just so sick. Our son in California is flying in tonight and DH's sister will be coming on Wednesday.

He is on a ventilator for now. It was decided that they will not go back in at this time. They would like to give the antibiotics a chance to work. It just seems that we go ahead a step, but then fall back 2. I guess we now play the waiting game to see if the antibiotics work.

Nancy

LLLinda
March 13th, 2018, 12:15 AM
Praying for you both.

Jean Sewing Machine
March 13th, 2018, 12:23 AM
Oh, Nancy! I am so sorry to hear this. He has had so much pain and things go wrong. Prayers can help bring him through this, and I will be praying hard tonight for God to be with him. You have been on a roller coaster of worry. Thank heaven they discovered this new situation before they transferred him out of the hospital. His poor body has been through so much. My prayers are for you both.

quilt_gems_25
March 13th, 2018, 12:25 AM
So sorry you have to go through this. I'll be praying for you and your family.

Kgrammiecaz
March 13th, 2018, 12:27 AM
Prayers and cyber hugs for all.

SallyO'Sews
March 13th, 2018, 12:36 AM
Oh, my dear, I am so sorry. Praying for you and your DH. Quilty hugs from your M*QC forum friends.

pcbatiks
March 13th, 2018, 12:36 AM
So sorry to hear this worrisome news. Will say extra prayers.

seaturtle
March 13th, 2018, 12:57 AM
Nancy, so sorry to hear about this turn. I know you are exhausted and he has been through so very much. Praying for you both.

sewbizzy
March 13th, 2018, 01:00 AM
Sending prayers for your dh, you and your family...

azmotogirl
March 13th, 2018, 01:10 AM
My thoughts and prayer continue for your husband, you and your entire family.

bubba
March 13th, 2018, 01:40 AM
That is exactly what Roger, aka MM, went thru last year. After his first surgery, he got a massive infection and had the second surgery, leaving the incision open. It kinda grossed me out, but it was the right thing to do and healed up fine. He was in the hospital several days for it on massive iv antibiotics before he turned around, but he did, and so will your husband. I know it seems like it can't get any worse and then one day things do start getting better, and they will. ♥

laura44
March 13th, 2018, 03:53 AM
Continued prayers for your husband and you.

Monique
March 13th, 2018, 06:43 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family as you go on this journey. Hopefully the antibiotics will work and clear this up.

Mischiefkat1
March 13th, 2018, 06:55 AM
Prayers coming your way. Kathy

Carlie Wolf
March 13th, 2018, 07:00 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this. My prayers are with you and yours.

Star lover
March 13th, 2018, 07:15 AM
Oh Nancy, you and your husband will continue in my prayers. Praying for strength for you all. Hugs and love.

Ginny B
March 13th, 2018, 07:29 AM
Oh, so sorry to hear this. Prayers being said.

Bubby
March 13th, 2018, 07:52 AM
I'm so sorry for what you and your husband are going through. When your son gets there you will have some loving physical support. I'm praying for you both.

Cathy F
March 13th, 2018, 08:15 AM
Continued prayers for you all.

KarenC
March 13th, 2018, 08:24 AM
Continuing to pray for your family. Praying that these massive antibodies will do the trick and be the turn to improvement we've been praying for. You both have been through so much lately.

Sandy Navas
March 13th, 2018, 08:32 AM
The prayers continue, and virtual hugs coming your way to help you through the worst storm of your life.

KPH
March 13th, 2018, 08:36 AM
Nancy, I'm so sorry you're having to face all of this and your DH is having to go through all of this. Add my prayers to the list. I'm glad there will be more family close to support you.

I hope you find peace and comfort, your husband receives healing touches from the hand of God and your son gains understanding of your needs of him during this difficult time.

MRoy
March 13th, 2018, 08:49 AM
Sending prayers for healing and comfort.

JCY
March 13th, 2018, 09:00 AM
My thoughts & prayers continue for you & DH. May you sense God's peace & strength through this whole ordeal. God bless.

Connie Jo
March 13th, 2018, 09:22 AM
Nancy I am so sorry. But, I am glad the kids will be with you for a bit. Please know that my continued prayers are with you and your family. Hugs

Bouse
March 13th, 2018, 09:29 AM
He really is having a tough time just now and is so lucky to have you on his side fighting along with him. Prayers said for you all.

Mom23
March 13th, 2018, 09:35 AM
You and your husband are both in my prayers. I'm glad your son is going to be there to help you through this difficult time.

MSN
March 13th, 2018, 10:10 AM
Nancy,

Adding my support to the growing list of M* friends. May you feel the love and quilty hugs from this forum, and may you be strengthened by them. You (and DH) are stronger than you think.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
March 13th, 2018, 10:57 AM
Oh Nancy,
I am so sorry that your husband is in pain. It is not an easy thing for you to bear alone. I am glad that your son will be joining you shortly.
It feels like déjà vue for me when my dad was in a similar diagnosis. It is very difficult. My mom could not bear to visit him in hospital, as she was not in good health at that time. I'm certain it was mostly stress related, as she has done and doing much better.

I will be praying for you and all who suffer.

JaniceR
March 13th, 2018, 10:57 AM
Nancy, I am so sorry you and your husband are going through so much. My prayers will continue for you both.

cv quilter
March 13th, 2018, 11:34 AM
Oh Nancy, so very sorry to read what you and DH are going through. Prayers and positive thoughts are with you both.

Cokie
March 13th, 2018, 12:20 PM
I'm so very sorry for this distressing news. Saying a prayer and sending a big hug.

MissMay
March 13th, 2018, 12:29 PM
Praying that God gives both of you the strength to overcome the latest challenge.

TMP
March 13th, 2018, 12:30 PM
You and your family are in my prayers.

Nwmnteacher
March 13th, 2018, 12:49 PM
Nancy, add my prayers for you and your husband and family.

Jeanne

Debbie Watters
March 13th, 2018, 01:16 PM
Prayers being sent ...

dwil23
March 13th, 2018, 01:39 PM
So sorry to read this. You, your DH and the medical staff are in my prayers.

(((HUGS)))

mommadeb
March 13th, 2018, 03:28 PM
Oh Nancy! Praying for you both.

Rhonda K
March 13th, 2018, 06:20 PM
Prayers and best wishes for you and DH.

Angelia
March 13th, 2018, 06:33 PM
Thinking of you.

Midge
March 13th, 2018, 07:03 PM
So sorry to hear your DH has had a turn for the worse. Big hugs.

auntiemern
March 13th, 2018, 11:46 PM
Nancy, I am so sorry to hear of this latest turn. Sending prayers for both of you.

jjkaiser
March 14th, 2018, 12:12 AM
That is exactly what Roger, aka MM, went thru last year. After his first surgery, he got a massive infection and had the second surgery, leaving the incision open. It kinda grossed me out, but it was the right thing to do and healed up fine. He was in the hospital several days for it on massive iv antibiotics before he turned around, but he did, and so will your husband. I know it seems like it can't get any worse and then one day things do start getting better, and they will. ♥

This gives me encouragement that your husband will overcome this setback. I am wishing and hoping with everyone else. Hang in there!!!

Simply Quilting
March 14th, 2018, 02:15 AM
Nancy, prayers and hugs.

geegeequilts
March 14th, 2018, 03:14 PM
Nancy

I am so sorry to read this about your husband's latest news. I have been praying for you all & will continue. Glad to know the kids are going to be there for you.

Take care of yourself.

Gina