PDA

View Full Version : Nesting Activity

JCY
March 12th, 2018, 07:43 PM
While I was eating lunch today, I noticed the rabbit which hangs around our yard was very busy. She pulled up dry grass until her mouth was full & then ran under the shed. Repeated trips were made. Obviously she was gathering grass for a nest. The rabbits have nested under that shed in previous years. One year there were 2 kits; another year there were 3. Last year I didn't see any babies. We've had 2 rabbits that seem to make our back yard their home. They've been around all winter. I guess they feel safe here because of the fence. Occasionally the dogs next door (they have 4!) spy them & go crazy barking at them & jumping up on our 6' chain link fence. So I expect to see some babies in the future. They're so cute when they're little.

KPH
March 12th, 2018, 08:02 PM
There for a while, we had two rabbits. The momma was not motherly at all. Bless her little heart, she'd push the babies out of her hutch. Both of our rabbits were attacked in their hutches. I never had the heart to replace them.

JCY
March 12th, 2018, 10:45 PM
The only predators we have for the rabbits are a feral cat (which I haven't seen in a long time) and a bird of prey. We had one rabbit get killed a couple yrs. ago right in front of the shed. All that was left were some bones & a few tufts of fur. We never knew what got it. It seems like a bird of prey would have carried it off, so I always wondered about that cat, which has been known to slink around our yard, & even go under our shed. There was a time when a cat would sit just outside where the rabbit goes under the shed & watch the opening. My next door neighbor who has feeders said there is a hawk that comes in his yard & catches the smaller birds. I enjoy observing the rabbit activity. Mostly they just eat the grass & stay out of my flower beds.

quilt_gems_25
March 13th, 2018, 01:01 AM
Enjoy your little rabbit friends. It must be something special to see them prepare their nests and watch their babies grow up.
When my dtr was very young, a wild rabbit used to play with her. They would run around a large bush playing peek a boo. The rabbit would only play with her. It ran from everyone else.
At this time of year, we watch the squirrels chase each other around the trees. They are the loudest animal in the woods!

MHG Winnower
March 13th, 2018, 06:49 AM
Another viewpoint, perhaps. They are cute, no doubt, but what they can do destroy (and enjoy) the fruits of many hours of labor and dollars of home gardeners is amazing. I don't kill and goodness I would never ever poison, but I do use a have-a-heart trap and relocate them to wooded areas. There, at least, they are more protected from overhead hawks. We have even found them drowned in our in ground pool. Something chased them into it, possibly a fox or coyote in our area. Nature is not so kind, sometimes, but it's nature.

Carlie Wolf
March 13th, 2018, 07:10 AM
Years ago I raised Angora rabbits for the handspinning fiber. They were fun. When I moved to Canada there were just too many and we were surrounded by forest and a very large field. They were rabid eating all our veggies. Most years the coyotes, linx and such did a number on a lot of them. It was Carlie's job to also participate. We had tried everything even the electric wire wasn't working. We eventually laid the wire out from the fence in rows instead of going up. The woman and kids that moved in next door here have a rabbit in a hutch outside. Cute little thing (well actually big thing) and really sweet. We have a fenced yard and Carlie did take an interest early on (and she wasn't thinking oh what a sweet thing!) but now she just ignores it and has decided that it too is a neighbor.

JCY
March 13th, 2018, 09:14 AM
I keep tabs on the rabbits. If I see them in the flower beds, I got out with a broom & chase them out. But mostly, they just graze on the grass. Years ago, when DH was in better health, he trapped 2 of the rabbits & relocated them. He just isn't able to do those kinds of things now. It's not the worth the time & energy to attempt to get rid of them. There are rabbits all over our neighborhood & other places in town as well. I've seen them in our church yard, near local restaurants, etc.

Astatoo
March 13th, 2018, 11:06 AM
When my kids were young and we had a large garden DH would trap rabbits and bring them to a co-worker who feed his family with them. Daughter thought he would re-locate them but when she found out what was really happening she got an idea. Each morning she would wake early, check the traps and if there was a rabbit she would release it. For almost a month DH could not figure out why his traps would be tripped but the rabbits got out. We thought she was just going out early and feeding the ducks-that little stinker!