PDA

View Full Version : Hello Monday

Blondie
March 12th, 2018, 08:39 AM

Hello Folksies!

It's gonna be a good day for nap here on the Hill. Reason #1 - I slept horribly last night because I enjoyed my sister's dinner of ribs far too much. When will I learn? Reason #2 - we are expecting weather today as in anywhere from 2-6 inches of wet snow. Goody. If I don't show up again for a bit you can be assured that our marvelous power company, Duke Energy is busy helping everyone but us. The good thing about #2 is that I recently put my request in to the heavens saying, Please! If we are going to have more weather, let it be on a Monday. My little ladies need their shampoos and church. Huzzah. Thanks have been given.

So, on Friday when I finished up with work, my DIL needed me to carry her to the grocery store. Always happy to be anywhere with her, we set off. Now, I never drive the highway. My little pick me up truck that is now 24 years old, is just a little putt putt. I take all the back roads and the long way which some call the scenic route. Now, if those people had to drive through the Cook Block and Flint Hill in Spray, and still call it the scenic route, I would buy them some glasses. Still, it is familiar to me and that counts some. Anyway, once past that particular scenic part of the drive, past the old boys club and the cotton mill, I am cruising around the traffic circle and almost to the destination. I notice a black unmarked police vehicle and wave. Billie asked me if I knew who the cop was. Smiling, I answer, No but everyone needs to have a nice day. I am sure they have had some real losers today. I mean look where they are parked! So like me. Next thing I know blue lights are flashing in my rear view. DIL says, is there a funeral cuz I don't hear sirens. I pull over and this very good looking young state trooper asks me for my id's and then leans into the vehicle and asks Billie for hers. We sat for about 5 minutes trying to figure out what I had done wrong. So blinded by his good looks - I kid you not - this boy was gorgeous - I didn't even ask why he had pulled us over. When he came back, it was obvious he had papers in his hands. hoo boy. As he handed the id's back to us , I found my voice and said What did I do wrong? Is there a brake light out? No-o-o-o-o-o-o. He leaned in the window again and handed those newly written papers to my DIL, Billie. He smiled and said, you aren't wearing your seat belt. What? We were both so shocked - the first thing we always do is buckle up but there she sat for all the world and that trooper, that good looking, smiling, melting this old lady's heart to see she was not buckled in. No points against me - SHE got the citation. To pay it off costs $179. We didn't read that part until after we got to the store. That low life, sweet smiling skunk of a trooper. I think they use him out there to baffle the ladies. He is very effective. Still wondering how sharp his eyes must be to see no belt on the passenger. rats!

Coffee's on. Have super Monday and for those who are expecting what we are getting tomorrow in upstate NY and New England - here's looking at you with respect and admiration. 3 No'Easters in 2 weeks. As I say, y'all are the real pioneers. Be warm. Safe. Blessings to all!

SMILE

Monique
March 12th, 2018, 08:51 AM
Good morning. Aw so sorry Billie got the citation but I guess she learned the hard way, right? The only reason I am up is that I heard little footsteps in the hall. Maizyn crawled into bed with us but we didn't stay. Time to be up!! Not sure what Maizyn and I will do today. Les works days today. Tomorrow we are headed to maybe two museums if we can get them in, Wednesday is the Tea Party, Thursday might be another museum day, Friday is rest day and Saturday we take her back home. Busy week ahead.

Have a great day everyone.

Star lover
March 12th, 2018, 08:52 AM
Mornin all....

Guess getting blinded by good looks beats out the blinding rays of the sun! Sure gave me a chuckle......I was thinking he was so happy you waved and wanted to repay that sweet gesture......silly me.....

Oh, so happy for those little footsteps and more! Enjoy your time with Maizyn, Monique!

Been cleaning all those rotten threads off a back of a quilt so I can baste and have it at the ready to hand sew.....I have never seen so many threads.....ever! It's been folded away for so long, I guess they decided to have a party in the drawer and wow, what a mess they left.

Off to watch 2 grandchildren for a few hours. These are the two youngest. Could be a blast of a nightmare. Not sure, since the time change might have created little monsters! They are usually the sweetest there ever was, so I'm figuring on little angels.....

I vote for no more time change!!! Hate it. There're trying to get rid of it here....it's up for a vote.....but it's been up for a vote for 10 years! The new ammo is that the day after the time change there are more accidents then any other time of year....I home it works, cause, it's a headache!

Hope everyone has a wonderful day. Blessings, love, hugs to all!

MRoy
March 12th, 2018, 09:07 AM
Blondie, sorry about the ticket for your DIL, don't you know the one time she forgets this happens. I'm watching it snow this morning. Some areas of KY got up to 10" of wet snow overnight. We didn't have much overnight but it's coming down now. I didn't spring forward to daylight savings time very good (or is it "very well"?). Either way, I think I need a coffee I.V. to get me going. Happy Monday!

Blondie
March 12th, 2018, 09:08 AM
Good morning. Aw so sorry Billie got the citation but I guess she learned the hard way, right? The only reason I am up is that I heard little footsteps in the hall. Maizyn crawled into bed with us but we didn't stay. Time to be up!! Not sure what Maizyn and I will do today. Les works days today. Tomorrow we are headed to maybe two museums if we can get them in, Wednesday is the Tea Party, Thursday might be another museum day, Friday is rest day and Saturday we take her back home. Busy week ahead.

Have a great day everyone.

Monique, enjoy Maizin. I am so happy she is there with you. Hugs!

Blondie
March 12th, 2018, 09:11 AM
Mornin all....

Guess getting blinded by good looks beats out the blinding rays of the sun! Sure gave me a chuckle......I was thinking he was so happy you waved and wanted to repay that sweet gesture......silly me.....

Oh, so happy for those little footsteps and more! Enjoy your time with Maizyn, Monique!

Been cleaning all those rotten threads off a back of a quilt so I can baste and have it at the ready to hand sew.....I have never seen so many threads.....ever! It's been folded away for so long, I guess they decided to have a party in the drawer and wow, what a mess they left.

Off to watch 2 grandchildren for a few hours. These are the two youngest. Could be a blast of a nightmare. Not sure, since the time change might have created little monsters! They are usually the sweetest there ever was, so I'm figuring on little angels.....

I vote for no more time change!!! Hate it. There're trying to get rid of it here....it's up for a vote.....but it's been up for a vote for 10 years! The new ammo is that the day after the time change there are more accidents then any other time of year....I home it works, cause, it's a headache!

Hope everyone has a wonderful day. Blessings, love, hugs to all!

Enjoy your grands today - angels today I am sure! And YES! Leave time alone. for crying out loud, it gets dark anyway. I like more daylight. I HATE it getting dark at 5ish. Makes me want to crawl in bed and hibernate. Good grief!

Blondie
March 12th, 2018, 09:13 AM
Blondie, sorry about the ticket for your DIL, don't you know the one time she forgets this happens. I'm watching it snow this morning. Some areas of KY got up to 10" of wet snow overnight. We didn't have much overnight but it's coming down now. I didn't spring forward to daylight savings time very good (or is it "very well"?). Either way, I think I need a coffee I.V. to get me going. Happy Monday!

It has just started big flakes of wet wet snow here in the last few minutes. So very glad to see you Myrna. I have missed you more than you know! I am hoping that this will be mostly a non event for us. sigh. come spring!!

JCY
March 12th, 2018, 09:13 AM
Good Morning ~ Oh, Blondie, I got a chuckle out of your post. I hope your power stays on. Crazy weather! 3 Nor'easters in 2 wks. We made it up to 59 yest. with sun all day. I have lots of crocuses popping up. The tulips are up about 4". If it stays dry, I may have to drag out the hoses & do some watering. We're supposed to have close to 70 by mid-week, so maybe I can get a little spring yard clean-up done. I need to cut back the clematis.

I sewed most of yest. afternoon. I pieced more of the larger size bordered 9-P blocks & cut more fabric. I found some Stonehenge fabric in my stash that blended nicely with the other fabrics. I cut up the last of the wildlife scene yardage into 3.5" squares. I reorganized the top of my cutting mat. I had a jumble of pieces & scraps. I set aside smaller pieces I won't use for this project & laid out all the 3.5" squares on a block board so I can more easily select them. I had 16 stacks.

My body still is adjusting to the time change. I'm not liking the darker mornings. Well, time to fix DH's breakfast & start the laundry. I hope the weather back east won't be as bad as they say it might get.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
March 12th, 2018, 09:42 AM
Good morning ladies.
Oh, those sneaky state troopers. I always drive the limit when I cross over to NY state for fabric. I swear the same one has been parked there for over 50 years. Tough lesson learned.

It's a beautiful sunny day, and thank God we are not expecting any snow for a few days. I shovelled two days last week, only about 4" of wet snow, but boy could my back feel it. We don't need the two of us to be laid out, or fighting for the walkers.

I put together the Hip to Be squared top. I used a print in all the center block, and think I may use a strip for inner border and darker wide border. What do you think? 151007. 151008
It felt good to put a quick quilt together.

I also started sewing a jelly roll strip of gelato Ombré fabrics. I have an idea for it as I had also bought yardage last year at the Vermont Quilt show. 151009

Also used my guild's Accuquilt machine on Saturday, during the drop-in sew day.

Today my son will be coming for lunch and to pick up some mending I did for him. I will also do my daughter's load of fix its, and run errands later.

I hope everyone has a good day, and that the next big storm is not too bad.

Mimi_Howard
March 12th, 2018, 09:47 AM
Good Morning All - this will be my first day back to work after 2 weeks of being sick. Numerous trips to urgent care and tons of meds, sure hope one more week of antibiotics and such will be enough to finally kick it out of the body. While my mind is dealing with cabin fever I have to remember to not let my mind write checks my body can't cash. Take things really sloooooooooooooooooow.

Bubby
March 12th, 2018, 09:49 AM
Good Morning All...I just noticed we got a dusting of snow last night. This new time isn't agreeing with our household.

We had a long but productive work day at the apartments Saturday. I rented our vacancy and now we have to finish fixing it up for her. We have two more Saturdays to get it done.

I'm embroidering a mug mat for St Pat's Day for my Irish GF. We will have lunch out later this week.

Monique, I'm so happy you are having this time with your Girl. Enjoy every second you're together. They grow up far too quickly. My GD Bree turned 27 last week. It seems like yesterday she was 3 and spending the summer with me.

Blondie, sorry about Billie's ticket. That's really costly. Go ahead and take yourself a good nap. They just announced on the radio that today is National Napping Day. That's your reason #3!

Wishing everyone a stellar day....with Hugs if you need them.

Bubby
March 12th, 2018, 09:53 AM
Good Morning All - this will be my first day back to work after 2 weeks of being sick. Numerous trips to urgent care and tons of meds, sure hope one more week of antibiotics and such will be enough to finally kick it out of the body. While my mind is dealing with cabin fever I have to remember to not let my mind write checks my body can't cash. Take things really sloooooooooooooooooow.

Please do take extra care of yourself, Mimi. I thought I would never get well, but I finally feel normal again. I woke up sick on Christmas Day and I was sick until the third week of February. The bills are coming in for ER and doctor visits and my short admission to the hospital, not to mention the meds. I think it's criminal that Medicare doesn't cover meds for seniors.

KPH
March 12th, 2018, 10:49 AM
Good Morning All,

Starting slowly today, since DS#1's family is celebrating Spring Break for the first half of the week, I didn't have to go pick up two grands this morning. Seems mighty quiet around here. Toys R Us where DS#2 works is catching the "exaggeration news" effect. People going in expecting 30% off of everything, but silly people, they've not said they're going to close up all of the stores (yet). Anyway, DS#2 fielded lots of questions yesterday, cleaned up after a team of baseball players that decided that trying out all of the bikes and motorized little cars leaving a disaster in their wake, and his normal duties of putting purchases into vehicles that are too small. The store closed at 8, but it was after 9:30 before the first one got to leave. It really must have been a huge mess! It was well after 10 before he got home. I was starting to get worried!

I managed to get my sewing area prepped for quilting Chris's quilt today, but first there's got to be a trip to the grocery store. I started a list yesterday but decided I'd be just as well off to go through the aisles and grab stuff. The pantry is pretty bare, not that there is a lot of room in it, but after I reloaded the dry goods (brown sugar, powdered sugar, flour, etc.) There's a whole lot more room in there.

Blondie, hate to hear about the ticket. At one point near Charlotte, if you weren't wearing the seat belt correctly you could get a ticket. I hated having it over my shoulder in the passenger seat, it always cut in to my neck, but after we heard that they were giving tickets I changed my ways.

Monique, enjoy your week! It's going to be a blast with lots of memories made!

Mimi, make sure to take care of yourself! My Mom was known for spraying down everything with Lysol. The girls in her office would complain, so one winter she didn't use it and they all ended up sick. They gave in and let her start spraying it again. I would always spray my classroom when the kids left at lunch and then again at the end of the day, it helped!

Barb, I couldn't believe the refrigerator mess you were describing yesterday. I don't think I have what it takes to handle apartments. (I can believe it, thinking back to one of my dear friends... goodness knows, I wouldn't eat anything that came out of her house.) I don't understand might have been a better way to word it.

Those that are getting ready for the third big storm, be safe and stay warm. This weather this year has been weird, that's for sure.

Prayers for those in need, for healing, strength and grace. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

Blondie
March 12th, 2018, 10:54 AM
Just got back home from morning coffee with my sis. It is a total white out here now. In less than an hour we have a solid inch of the white stuff. Refilled my bird feeders and have been enjoying the birdies. I have 5 suet feeders plus two regular feeders. They always flock to these in droves during rain or snow. The birds make me so happy to watch. Need to go stitch a bit and then nap a bit. I am going to enjoy this last (hopefully) snow day. If it keeps up at this clip, we most certainly will have the forecasted 5-6 inches.

Cathy F
March 12th, 2018, 11:50 AM
Morning all,

Been under the weather this week haven't really felt well but no specific symptoms.

Monique, enjoy your visit with your granddaughter, seems those visits just fly by.

Blondie, so much for a smile and a wave, could have given you a warning as opposed to a summons.

Well, I did get up to the sewing room for a bit yesterday and worked on a few things for Easter. I am also in the process of putting together fidgit mats to be given to the caregiver's of Alzheimer's patients. I need approx. 40 of them so it will keep me busy.

Need to get a few things in the way of groceries. We're supposed to be getting another snow. Be glad when this month is over. Looking forward to warmer temps!

Jean Sewing Machine
March 12th, 2018, 12:00 PM
Hello all! We had our snow event yesterday, and it snowed hard for a good 4 hours, but it was warm enough to not stick on the streets, just the grassy areas. My son, his wife and 3 kids are here for a short visit, the youngest wanted to go to our City Museum. It is a very unique place that was created in an old shoe factory, and the things the kids love about it is that the owners have very artfully created caves to explore, rabbit holes to climb down, tree houses to climb up, slides to return you to reality, all using recycled industrial materials. Beautiful mosaics line the floors and walls, as well as galleries created to display architectural frescos, tiles, gargoyles from old building that got torn down. Kids love the place, adults who are not agile, not so much! But it was a good place to spend a snowy Sunday, and obviously we weren't the only ones to think that, because it was crazy crowded!

Eww, Blondie! Too bad about the ticket! Mimi, I feel your pain, my whole month of February was spent fight the flu and after effects, one being extreme tiredness! Hope the east coast snow bunnies don't get buried, but according to Blondie's report, it might happen! Being buried by snow, that is.

Monique, have fun with your granddaughter. The grandkids visiting me now are from Iowa and are on spring break. The upper NY grands aren't on spring break till the end of April.

I saw Bob Wise last week, he is doing well, still quilting and says hi!

Have a good week!

Nwmnteacher
March 12th, 2018, 12:23 PM
I too, dislike the time change. I slept in this morning without meaning to, and went to bed later last night because I just wasn't sleepy at my usual time. I would love it if Minnesota stopped messing with our inner clocks.

Jeanne

Carlie Wolf
March 12th, 2018, 12:44 PM
I'm not big on Daylight Savings Time either. JCY, the trick is not to wake up till about 10 for the next couple of days. What I do like about it is that it's another sign that Spring is almost here :-)

Looks like the weather will begin to start warming up again around the 16th so I'm frantically awaiting that. I haven't had a whole lot of energy but I've struggled through trying to get some of the older projects completed.

Ohhh those tickets. It reminded of way back when when my overly demonstrative daughter called me all upset. She got a speeding ticket and figured if she let the tears flow with abandon the cop would let her off. Wrong. He said "Stop it or I'll take you to jail too". Obviously the cop had daughters. She thought that was very unfair. He then discovered when checking her license that she had 33....yes 33 unpaid parking tickets. I told her that I'd be happy to teach her how to balance her checkbook and do a budget so she could pay them. She had been thinking I'd have empathy more along the lines of paying them for her.

JCY
March 12th, 2018, 03:18 PM
Carlie ~ Staying in bed until 10 a.m.? In my dreams! Since I'm caregiver for DH, my clock radio goes off at 5 a.m. every day of the week, regardless of what time I went to bed. It's been years since I've had the luxury of sleeping in!

But...I do think spring is almost here. Skunks!! I smelled skunk odor this a.m., which means they must be coming out of hibernation. I don't why we have to be bothered with those critters in the city. Ewwww. I hate that odor. I also saw a robin in the yard yest., so maybe the bird migration has begun. I went out this a.m. & scrubbed the bird dish pan & refilled with it with fresh water. We live only 2 houses away from a creek. It's not like they don't have access to water, but I think the birds like the protection of a fenced yard & easy access. It gives me opportunity for bird watching. At least 2 of our neighbors have bird feeders. I'll know it's spring when those pesky Grackles show up.

My son who lives in the Seattle area, sent me pics of plum trees in bloom. Of course, we're at almost 5,000 ft. elev. here so things are much later. Our crabapple trees will be in bloom in ~ a mo. The first day of official spring is the 20th.

Carlie Wolf
March 12th, 2018, 03:39 PM
Yikes JCY, I feel your pain!I guess this is why I like retirement AND living alone.

I'll probably see some things blooming by April. My elderberry bushes are usually the first to start budding, followed by my rose bushes. The early Spring bulbs are blooming and I've seen a couple of robins. Also I'm occasionally starting to hear birds chirping in the morning. I'm thinking about putting my wicker desk out on the covered porch this year and maybe spending some time out there drawing until it gets too hot. That means a bit of the break from the computer but I think I need a little more of that. Maybe I'll get some other things done around here. Yesterday I pulled some of the older meat out of the freezer, popped it into the slow cooker and then made some meat and veggie biscuits for Miss Carlie. She's thankful :-)

JCY
March 12th, 2018, 07:36 PM
Katrina ~ The answer to the seat belt shoulder strap discomfort is to make some soft furry wraps to go around them. When we first bought our cars that had the shoulder straps, I made some from that thick furry fabric like they use for stuffed animals. I made fasteners of Velcro to hold them together. I made 2 for each car -- driver & passenger side. They can be removed for washing. It makes a big difference. I even took one with me when I took a trip several yrs. ago & planned to rent a car.

KPH
March 12th, 2018, 08:38 PM
Katrina ~ The answer to the seat belt shoulder strap discomfort is to make some soft furry wraps to go around them. When we first bought our cars that had the shoulder straps, I made some from that thick furry fabric like they use for stuffed animals. I made fasteners of Velcro to hold them together. I made 2 for each car -- driver & passenger side. They can be removed for washing. It makes a big difference. I even took one with me when I took a trip several yrs. ago & planned to rent a car.

I think the problem was where the seat belt guide loop was on the car seat. Since we don't have that vehicle anymore, I don't have the rubbing issue unless I go to sleep leaning toward the window. That's a really good solve though. The kiddos in the back seat that are growing out of the car seat and into the booster seats may like some of those!

Rhonda K
March 12th, 2018, 09:11 PM
I think the problem was where the seat belt guide loop was on the car seat. Since we don't have that vehicle anymore, I don't have the rubbing issue unless I go to sleep leaning toward the window. That's a really good solve though. The kiddos in the back seat that are growing out of the car seat and into the booster seats may like some of those!

FYI: Those straps may be adjustable for you. Check for a button where it is attached at the side door panel. The button raises or lowers the strap. The vehicle guide may have instructions too. Hope this helps in the event you ride/drive different vehicles.