PDA

View Full Version : Monday Trivia: Sapphire

Star lover
March 12th, 2018, 07:06 AM
The "star" in a star sapphire is caused by natural deposits of a titanium-based mineral called rutile inside the stone.

Occasionally, those needle-shaped imperfections meet at their points to create a star shape called an asterism (from the Latin for star). When that happens, the raw gemstone is cut and polished to highlight the natural star-shaped inclusion.

Anitamae56
March 12th, 2018, 08:51 AM
Interesting!

Vonnie
March 12th, 2018, 09:27 AM
I want one! LOL, doubt I could afford one. I think Sapphires are gorgeous.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
March 12th, 2018, 09:48 AM
I love sapphires. When I was on a cruise decades ago in the carribean, I won a good chunk of money at the slot machine, while we were waiting to go into the dining room. Now I could have saved it, but as a reminder of a great trip, I bought a beautiful sapphire and diamond ring at our next stop in the Cayman Islands. I have had so many compliments over the years, and I just love it.

It is also my mom's birthstone.

LauraP
March 12th, 2018, 10:47 AM
That was the stone that I picked for my first engagement ring. Got him a tie tack out of it too. I think I gave them both to the kids.

KPH
March 12th, 2018, 10:57 AM
Dad always wanted one made into a ring for himself. Mom would never let him have it. It always bothered me that he never got it! So, when DH said he'd always wanted an Onyx ring, I bought him one for Christmas. lol, I should have waited a little longer, one of his service rings ended up having onyx in it! He loved it though and that's all that mattered.