PDA

View Full Version : 20 years ago.....

auntstuff
March 10th, 2018, 06:38 PM
How long since YOU have seen one?

pewa88
March 10th, 2018, 06:40 PM
I cannot remember the last time I saw one. I think you can still get them at some stores but you have to ask. I also remember when they were phased out and the clerks asked for a time "paper or plastic?".

Carlie Wolf
March 10th, 2018, 06:43 PM
I remember them asking paper or plastic. I miss those paper pages. If the plastic ones get any thinner the cheap brands of saran wrap would work better.

Iris Girl
March 10th, 2018, 06:59 PM
That is why I went to making my own bags for grocery shopping. They are big sturdy and have a masonite bottom for support.

tsladaritz
March 10th, 2018, 07:47 PM
I have my own bags. We use the plastic ones for cat litter trash but I prefer my own most of the time. I got a paper one yesterday to see and it was a lot thinner than I remember them being. They used to be very stiff and hard to fold. This is almost like a piece of paper. hmmm

toggpine
March 10th, 2018, 08:38 PM
Some of our stores here have them.
In some cities you have to pay for your bags now. You either bring your own, or they charge you 5 cents per bag.
I am always forgetting to bring them in the store with me. When I forget, I just load the groceries back in the cart and bag them myself out at the car.

Hulamoon
March 10th, 2018, 09:09 PM
Our Walmart won't offer anything, (ban on plastic) except you can buy one of their blue bags at the register. I like one of my markets (Foodland) because they pack in paper bags with handles. I reuse them all the time for different purposes. I don't feel guilty about that.

Tracie T
March 10th, 2018, 09:36 PM
I remember them asking paper or plastic. I miss those paper pages. If the plastic ones get any thinner the cheap brands of saran wrap would work better.

so true!!!

auntstuff
March 10th, 2018, 09:57 PM
Our Walmart won't offer anything, (ban on plastic) except you can buy one of their blue bags at the register. I like one of my markets (Foodland) because they pack in paper bags with handles. I reuse them all the time for different purposes. I don't feel guilty about that.

Oh, NEVER feel guilty about re-use and recycle!

cv quilter
March 10th, 2018, 10:32 PM
Bashas in AZ still have the paper bags with two handles. So sad, our Bashas closed in Prescott. Those bags were way better than plastic.

laura44
March 10th, 2018, 10:44 PM
I made my own, still using after 5 years. Some stores here have paper.
Bags cost 15-25 cents.

MissMay
March 10th, 2018, 11:04 PM
Bashas in AZ still have the paper bags with two handles. So sad, our Bashas closed in Prescott. Those bags were way better than plastic.

We have a very big farm market that has plastic and those 2 handle paper bags, we always choose the paper bags and use them for our junk mail and paper recycling. I also use the paper bags for my scraps while quilting.

LauraP
March 11th, 2018, 12:46 AM
Remember making book covers at the beginning of the school year. Usually somewhere between Christmas and Easter we would have to make new ones. Not sure I even remember how anymore.

LLLinda
March 11th, 2018, 01:38 AM
My gosh LauraP, I haven't thought about covering those books in years! Back then we had to buy our books too.

dwil23
March 11th, 2018, 03:47 AM
We have a new chain in town - Sprouts. They offer the paper bags with handles which I gladly took. As I was walking through the parking lot, I hear a tear and all my produce went rolling around the lot. Don't make them like they used to. I have reusable bags but never seem to remember to take them with me.

jjkaiser
March 11th, 2018, 11:14 AM
The best bag I have is plastic coated paper but has a solid bottom and tough handles is very square, very big and super sturdy. It came as a freebie in one of my orders from MSQC about two yrs ago!! Has triangles all over and M logo on front and back, the sides are yellow. If you can order one from their website I highly recommend it!

auntstuff
March 11th, 2018, 01:54 PM
I made mine out of the sacks the horse feed comes in.

TMP
March 11th, 2018, 02:06 PM
I remember making the book covers out of brown paper bags. I also remember mama having a piece of the brown bag at her ironing board she used when pressing. I can not think of place here that we still have a choice. I use the plastic bags as trash can liners and to clean up after my dog. I also put one in my suitcase for dirty clothes.

MissMay
March 11th, 2018, 02:57 PM
I remember making the book covers out of brown paper bags. I also remember mama having a piece of the brown bag at her ironing board she used when pressing. I can not think of place here that we still have a choice. I use the plastic bags as trash can liners and to clean up after my dog. I also put one in my suitcase for dirty clothes.

I also use the plastic bags as waste paper and trash can liners. Used to use only 1 bag in the trash can but had to double them up as single ones tore and spilled trash. They are getting pretty thin so we may start using 3 for the trash can under the sink.

RockinLou
March 12th, 2018, 04:17 AM
we use cloth bags, but get paper bags at our Trader Joe's when we are in the US.

nativetexan
March 12th, 2018, 11:57 PM
yep their plastic bags slit open at the most inopportune times. as does Kohl's too, today as a matter of fact. they need to do better. I have fabric grocery bags for Randalls but trying to get the clerk to use them is fun.