PDA

View Full Version : The process begins

Astatoo
March 9th, 2018, 12:54 PM
Well, MIL has agreed that she needs to go to assisted living-not sure if she will qualify, she may need a nursing home, will have to wait and see-now she is determined to clear things up at the house, wants to give away a lot. She has a lot of almost finished quilt tops that she has for awhile been saying she would like me and DD to finish up for her and quilt but had been reluctant to actually hand them over. So DD and I will be going over there this weekend and going through her quilting bins with her. Who knows, maybe we will find the tops that hubby and I gave her kits for years ago as gifts-they were ones that I would have loved to have myself!

Wish me luck, I have a feeling this will be a long process.

Star lover
March 9th, 2018, 12:57 PM
You and your family are in my prayers......not going to be easy for anyone. Big hugs!

Georgie Girl
March 9th, 2018, 01:00 PM
I'm here for you to. It's a sad process to go through.

Sandy Navas
March 9th, 2018, 01:35 PM
Feeling for you, Beth - but now that' she's made up her mind it will be much easier.

MRoy
March 9th, 2018, 01:47 PM
I hope the transition goes well for your MIL and all of you.

jjkaiser
March 9th, 2018, 02:58 PM
You certainly have your work cut out for you. I am so glad your MIL agrees it is time to move on, whether NH or AL. This means going from her thinking you and dh are "doing this TO her" to "doing this FOR her." Good luck and I hope you find some treasures in with everything else!!

LLLinda
March 9th, 2018, 03:23 PM
Asta, be ready for a few hiccups along the way. I speak from experience with my Mom. I fear for the time I may have to do this for my DH.

Simply Quilting
March 9th, 2018, 03:40 PM
I am glad that she has agreed, it makes easier. Prayers for all as you start the process of clearing the house as it can be a very hard process as it digs up memories and unfullfilled dreams. {{{HUGS}}}

KPH
March 9th, 2018, 03:48 PM
I'm glad she knows it a step that needs to be taken. That will help a lot.

As she's going through things, make notes of those special memories that go with the items. I appreciated what my Grandmother did, she labeled just about everything. I have lace my great grandmother bought from a door to door salesman, made from 'real' Irish linen. I have the whole story, how she bought 5 yards, a yard for each daughter. Grandma was going to make a handkerchief with her yard. She never did, but she gave it to me. I'm going to make a handkerchief for Esther's wedding with it. That will definitely qualify as something old.

May God bless and keep you close during this transitional time.

KarenC
March 9th, 2018, 04:02 PM
Good luck with the transition. It's good that she agrees this needs to be done. Hopefully she doesn't change her mind later. Good that Amanda will help you when you start going through her quilting stuff. I remember there being a story for each piece of fabric that mom passed on to me. Prayers for all of you going through this.

chelea
March 10th, 2018, 03:38 AM
We went through this with my MIL. She lived alone and everyone in the family had full-time jobs so we all arranged what I called "patchwork care". A retired couple would spend some of the day with her (they were paid), a home health aide came in to get her into the shower etc. We would take her home for supper. It wasn't good. Her PCP was actually the one to tell her it was time, and you know what? she accepted it without a fuss because the doctor said so. Looking back, it was the best thing we could have done. She was a very social person and thrived in that nursing home with all the activities and people around her. She was such a busy-body they named her the mayor.