PDA

View Full Version : Fri Yay

Blondie
March 9th, 2018, 08:27 AM

Hello Folksies!

Yes, it's Friday - my favorite day of the week - unless it was last week when we had that horrible wind and lost power for almost 2 days. And our poor N.E. people are still feeling it all. The prognosticators are calling for another round for us here in my little world this weekend. As long as I get those heads washed, curled and styled I will be fine.

I did a little stitching yesterday. I like making little gifts throughout the year. You never know when someone will need a pick me up that is quicker than a COC. I have a "gift closet" that I have some finished items in. It needs to be re stocked about now. I like doing mini art quilt type of things. Some are more detailed than others and are generally specific for Christmas or birthday gifts. Some are just because type of gifts. Things like mug rugs, small pin cushions. A lot of times I will take a leftover block and turn it into tote or table runner. Do any of y'all have this practice?

this little hanging was fun and fairly quick.

almost done with this one. (this goes to DD )

Off to find the coffee pot and head to the shower. Work day is starting soon! Enjoy the weekend folksies.

BarbaraB
March 9th, 2018, 08:32 AM
Coffee? Did somebody say Coffee????

Monique
March 9th, 2018, 08:36 AM
Good morning Blondie and all that follow.

LAST day of work for me. I finished the hand quilting on the baby quilt yesterday. Not sure what I will work on today. I don't feel like dragging my machine in to put the binding on. We go and pick up Maizyn tomorrow. So I may or may not be 'in' next week.

Oh and I forgot to share some good news with you yesterday. Greg and Ashley are moving to Ottawa in July from Victoria, BC. Now you know that makes for a very happy Momma having them close again. I expect more visits to come.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Star lover
March 9th, 2018, 08:40 AM
Good morning Blondie and all who'll follow. Hope it's starting out good for y'all!

Blondie.....love your projects! I used to be ahead of the game......not anymore. It's a fantastic idea to keep up. Not sure if I'll remedy that in the near future or not.

Cold, very cold and snowy here. Banking on the adage that as time moves on in March, it'll be more lammy......sigh. Still nothing like those in the paths of all these storms. My hearts goes out to them.

Ordered a lightbox back in February that wasn't to arrive until Monday ( it took the senior route across the USA!) ....it came yesterday! Guess it got tired of sight seeing. Really like it. Plan on using it today to mark another quilt......getting ready to layer and baste. I'm currently hand quilting on a quilt, but I figure it wouldn't hurt to have another......for whatever or whenever!

Hope everyone has a wonderful, peaceful weekend. Blessings to all. Prayers for those struggling and suffering. Also for those that have been in the repeated path of the storms! Love and hugs!

Star lover
March 9th, 2018, 08:42 AM
Oh Monique......doin a happy dance for you! Two fantastic blesssing in one week! Hope you work day.....flys by! Have a great weekend.....as if I have to tell you! Enjoy Maizyn! .....mmm, don't have to tell you that either! Oh, happy days!!!

JCY
March 9th, 2018, 10:03 AM
Good Morning ~ I had a productive sewing afternoon & evening yest. All the blocks sewn together, then into rows, and most of the borders added. I have just the final top & bottom border to add. By planning ahead with the pressing, all the seams nested. Yay. I like it when that happens.

Today is chicken soup day, so I'll be in the kitchen all morning. I make a big bath, which makes 12 qts. of soup. That's 24 days worth for DH.

We had a mild night. Much warmer this a.m. than usual. It's 46 deg. We'll probably be close to 70 again today. Our mts. are hurting for snow pack. Every area is <100%, & some areas are only at 50% of normal. We'll need a lot of snow in March & April to catch up.

I haven't taken time to watch the latest tutorial yet, but it looks interesting. Angela Walters has a new book out called Nine-Patch Revolution. I looked at the patterns by checking it out on Amazon. (The "Look inside" feature.) I decided not to buy it. I am enjoying the weekly FMQ videos she's putting out.

Well, time to get going with DH's breakfast, then it will be time to cut up the chicken & get it on to cook.

Ginny B
March 9th, 2018, 10:03 AM
Good morning everyone. Here we are at Friday. We had our goodbye luncheon for Susan yesterday and gave her the signature quilt. She loved it and yes, she did cry.

Blondie, what a great idea to keep some gifts on hand. I should do that too. Monique, what great news! I know that makes you happy.

Looking forward to the weekend. I have a baby shower brunch tomorrow for our niece and then the rest of the weekend will be whatever we decide to do. Time in my sewing room will definitely be a part of it.

Have a great Friday everyone.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
March 9th, 2018, 10:38 AM
Good morning ladies,
Blondie, I have a large cedar chest that I have over the years bought ahead gifts for upcoming birthdays or just because for the kids. I t has also become my storage chest for quilts, but is at capacity. I have decided that buying ahead-gifts, I will do less of, and just store on dresser drawer. I will take your idea and start making more personal gifts, like totes and table runners.

Monique. So happy your kids will be visiting this summer, and that you will enjoy time with your grand-daughter. I cannot wait for mine to grow up and be at an age that they can spend time on learning quiet actvities. Did I say quilting? Hehe

I was Michael's driver yesterday. He had a meeting at work, but just getting up the stairs and down the hall, just about did him in. He was there over 3 hours, so I had brought some quilt books and the last of the Ann Hazelwood quilt fiction book - Church ladies quilt. I love her books and have read them all. I had been saving this one, knowing it was the last on that series. Then I got an email saying that she has a new series starting and first book is out. Yeah. It was traffic time when he got out, so he suggested we go to a LQS. Yeah again. I bought half yards of 2 fabrics, and a Rulerwork Quilting Idea book by Amanda Murphy. Yeah. Then we went to a favorite fish restaurant. The best haddock fish and chips in awhile. Yeah. A triple yeah day. I have to keep positive while my DH needs me to lean on. Driving him to physio for assessment and treatment.

My mom called this morning. She has been dreaming of my dad lately. She has done that in 18 years. I guess it's natural as many of her friends and most of her older relatives have passed. The nursing home is still quarantined, so I am trying to minimize my visits.

It's snowing lightly. I hope it melts as I am not up to shovelling again today.

Enjoy your day, whether it's cooking, sewing or just doing what you must.

KPH
March 9th, 2018, 10:52 AM
Good Morning All,

Blondie, I start early on Christmas gifts. I need to start my stash of little things again. Moving has pretty much blown my drawers filled with 'just in cases'. For years I kept a box in the closet, wrapped with a little tag of what was inside, because Lord knows I would forget.

I love your little hangings. I love hanging a quilt square or art hanging on the front door. We had a large porch in NC, so I didn't have to worry about the sun fading them out. Now, I'll hang something for a month and change it out. While the front door doesn't get any direct light, its still strong enough to fade fabric.

Yesterday was home school for J. DS#1 came to pick him up then we went to Nana and Nandy's to pick up the other two. Big family trip to Toys R Us to see Uncle Mike. Mike had already clocked out when we got there, so he got to shop with us. One bike later we were on the road again to JoAnne's to get some fabric to finish Chris's quilt. J with with me to pick out fabric. While Mike and Jim had Zeke and Esther. It didn't take long and I received some pretty cool compliments about my quilts from a 5 year old. We finished our shopping trip with a stop at Wally World for bike helmets. Everyone came back to the house for dinner, simple as I forgot to get something out earlier. Sausage gravy, biscuits and eggs. It went over big time. All three kids had seconds finished up their dinner with fruit cups for dessert.

BIL called and gave me his itinerary for Lexie's graduation trip. She wanted to come to FL to see the family. So now I know when the house needs to be cleaned and I still have time to get Chris's quilt finished before they come. Now that I have the border fabric, the batting and backing will arrive today. Joe won't arrive until closer to the 18th. He'll be here one night, then take Lexie and her boy friend to see Chuck and his family, then to Brandon's to see them. They'll be here one night then head back to NC to pick up MIL at Baden Lake with her sisters.

Tomorrow we'll be heading to St. Augustine for the Celtic Festival. With taking all three kids, Jim wanted help so Mike and I are going to help out. He wants to be there for the parade then go to the games. It should be interesting. I've always wanted to go, but crowds freak me out as my peripheral vision is more and more limited. lol, not to mention, the kids are way below my line of sight, so I can really lose them in a heart beat! Crossing that bridge when we get to it.

I best get started. These borders aren't going to cut themselves. I hope everyone has a great day. Prayers for those in need for peace, understanding, strength and healing touches. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

Simply Quilting
March 9th, 2018, 11:22 AM
Good Morning! This week has flown by so quickly. On Tuesday, dh and I went to the state capitol. What a day of weather from sun to white out conditions due to lots of snow and blowing wind (of course the wind was around no matter what).

We have some errands to run then I am hoping to get some time to sew. I picked up my main machine from the shop last Friday but haven't had a chance to sew. I have a couple of table runners that just need the quilting done and they will be done.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone :)

Nwmnteacher
March 9th, 2018, 02:23 PM
Good morning everyone. It's still morning, right? Yesterday was a work day at JoAnns. It's been two weeks since I worked, I'm hoping my hours are increased to 2 days a week again soon. When it's so long between work days, I get quite stiff and sore, so the "day after" is usually an Advil day. Add to that, the semi truck usually arrives on Wednesday, but was delayed because of the stormy weather, so it showed up right when I punched in to work. There were only 2 other gals scheduled since it wasn't supposed to be a truck day, so I helped unload the 3000+ pounds of freight! Ouch! It took us about an hour and a half. The fun part is being able to open the big boxes of fabric and get a sneak peek....some new 108" flannels for quilt backs, and lots of summer themed fleece. I did some grocery shopping after work, got home about 7:30 p.m., and was in bed by 8:30. I slept for 11 hours, and then crawled out of bed. I guess this 66 year old body doesn't like unloading semis!

Blondie, your "just in case" gift stash is a great idea. I've thought about doing that, but it seems my "have to get it done" list is always too long. I have 3 tops waiting for sandwiching and quilting. But sometimes it is fun to just do something quick. On Monday I made myself an apron to wear at work. The other 2 gals thought is was really nice. We can wear homemade aprons as long as it's from JoAnn's fabrics, and it's NOT a day when the district manager will be there.

I was supposed to get together for a sisters' -in - law weekend tomorrow and Sunday. We try to do that once a year... the SIL who is the most centrally located hosts it. She lost her DH 2 years ago due to ALS. He had served in Vietnam. He told us the planes would fly over and deliver Agent Orange near them, and that's what eventually caused the ALS. Thankfully, the Vets' Admin. now recognizes it as causing disease later in life, so they had lots of support after he was diagnosed. Anyway, one SIL had to cancel because of a scheduling conflict, and another ended up in the hospital yesterday with a terrible leg infection. So we'll be planning for another weekend. Hmmm. What to do with a weekend that's now free?

I suppose I should make myself useful. It's been a sloooooow morning due to all the sore muscles, but tomorrow will be better!

JCY
March 9th, 2018, 05:04 PM
I usually have baby quilts made ahead, but not other things like wall hangings, etc.