PDA

View Full Version : So, it's Thursday

Blondie
March 8th, 2018, 09:35 AM

Hello Folksies

I am still sleepy and working on my first cuppa. Ever since the hubby retired our schedules have been out of whack. I still have to remind myself that even though I still wake up at dark thirty, I can stay in bed and go back to sleep. That isn't always the easiest thing in the world to do but this morning, I persevered. The only reason I am actually up and at 'em right now is because Max, our sheltie gave my hand a lick and a kiss. Of course, quite thankfully, the coffee has been made and my sweetest friend in the whole wide world of the USA actually heard me coming down the hall and poured my cup. Wise, dear, kind, thoughtful - this is why I married him. Before coffee I could not even make a thought much less a sentence, so take my word for it. He is all those words - whatever they are called.

Well then, I am not listening to the news yet, but am assuming that the Northeast is still buried under the latest Nor'Easter. Yesterday was quite windy and we have been told that the wind is returning this weekend. I've already put my order in as nope, not interested, send it somewhere else. I repeat, this winter has been brutal. My Granny would say, the seasons are breaking and each month borrows from it's neighbor. As in January has some December and some February. I declare March is always just plain hateful March. It wakes up all the bulbs, forsythias, quince, bradford pears - only to freeze their little buds off and blow them away. I tell you if I could pick a month to come back to life as AND be as hateful as I could be for just an hour, it would be March. I would roar and blow every hateful person over and make them regret they ever looked cross eyed at a gnat. I say for an hour because after a few minutes the fun of being totally ugly would wear off and I would begin to feel sorry for everyone. That is when the little lamb would come out and make everything right. Let's hope the lamb shows up sooner than later! March, we're through.

I didn't do a thing with stitching yesterday except stand at the threshold of my room and survey all the scraps on the floor. Ah, memories of days well spent. I think I will do that again today.

Smiles, blessings, keep warm, happy and safe.

Star lover
March 8th, 2018, 09:49 AM
Good morning Blondie and all......God bless us all....everyone!

I haven't checked the news either. Don't do that so much these days......I'm usually saddened by what I hear, so I put it off.

Yesterday just fits with the way March has been going.......grrrrr. I'm done with March too! Ready for Lammy!

The day started with a broken garage door. DH left for work and a few minutes later, a knock at the door. He couldn't get the door up; the spring on one side had broke. Took both of us, but we got it up. He got the car out and told me to stand back as I shut the door.....it would come a flying down.....nope, it just sat there. He got out of the car...the garage door had jumped the track when the spring broke. So he called into work, wasn't gonna happen. He didn't want to leave it open all day.

We called our son.....our sweet son.....salt of the earth, can do just about anything....son. He couldn't come for a couple hours, he was salting waaaay outta town.

Sooooo, the other shoe..... drops. The drain in the basement. DH gets out the poison....or whatever the stuff is that unblocks drains. Soooo thankful he keeps this stuff in stock. Well we're working away on it, dear son shows up, goes to the garage and fixes the jumped wheels...he's 6'4". Dh finishes the drain and off to get parts for the door.

Hours later all is well....exhausted but fine. In the meantime after I did all the help I could I finished basting a quilt to hand quilt. Fixed dinner. And headed to that quilt to quilt....so much excitement....I love the start....the middle.. the end.....all of it.....oh my, how will what I had in my head translate to what it will actually look like?? Oh the wonder, the excitement......I fell a sleep.......

So today is another day. No sun, snowing, windy....the house is a mess....so the plan is to clean....fast....then maybe quilting.....if not.....I've got another quilt I'm a gonna baste....just cause....

Hope evyone stays safe. Love and hugs to all!

Monique
March 8th, 2018, 09:52 AM
Good morning everyone. Another work day and another day of hand quilting. I AM getting close to finishing the baby quilt as far as hand quilting. Then it will be binding next.

Not too much happening. There is a golf show in Ottawa this weekend that Les wants to go to. I think he will do that tomorrow, drop me off at work, head to the city and come back and pick me up. Works for me. Then on Saturday we are going to pick Maizyn up and keep her for the week, her March break. She is excited and so am I.

Well off to get ready. Have a wonderful day friends no matter what you do.

Mom23
March 8th, 2018, 10:05 AM
I don't know what's up with my body clock but it is totally out of wack. I tell myself now it's great to be up early but in a couple of weeks I will be ready to sleep a little later. This is the time I usually get up but today I've been up more than an hour. The house is picked up and laundry is in the dryer.

I wish I had the day to spend in my sewing room but I'm riding along with a friend to go wedding decoration shopping in St. Louis. We should get back in time for my 6:30 meeting and 9:00 Adoration. I am taking along a little hand work for the car ride.

Yesterday I got to spend the entire day in my sewing room and I got so much done. It felt so good to get back in there. I had been piling up projects on my dresser that needed attention and am happy to say there is only one left. That's on the agenda for tomorrow afternoon.

One of the projects was the quilt top that was started at the 2017 Fall Forum Retreat. Carol (Snippet) brought X's and O's blocks for attendees to sew and when they turned in their blocks they were to return the corners cut off of each block. I brought all of the blocks home, squared them up, and sewed them together within a couple weeks of the retreat. I finally got back to it and added a small border, then a border of all the triangles cut off the x's and o's block, and finally added a final border. Today I'm hoping to get to JoAnn's to get backing. I will be shipping everything to KarenC as she has offered to quilt it. The final quilt will be taken to the retreat for everyone to see and will then be donated, I believe, to the local nursing home. It feels good to have that UFO done.

As I'm typing this I'm watching 19 turkeys out the kitchen window. I've enjoyed watching them and will miss them when the turkey hunters get out in the woods. I know they need thinned out but these guys have become like pets to me. We've also had about a dozen deer in and out so I will still have them to watch until fall deer season.

Gotta get moving, my ride will be here soon.

Blessings and prayers to all in need.

KarenC
March 8th, 2018, 10:14 AM
Good morning all. Gutter man shows up this morning to install gutters on the house. Glad to get that done. Finished a charity quilt that was on the frame, so today will be to sew on binding. Before that happens, it's change sheets on bed and laundry them. Think I may find something to cook for dinner.

Bubby
March 8th, 2018, 10:23 AM
Morning Everyone....I'm getting up my nerve to face the day. I don't drink coffee or anything with caffeine so I don't get a boost until I shower. I'm having a s-l-o-w morning. I have to drive to Houston to pick up refills for Dottie's heart meds. Her increased dose seems to slowly be working.

Thankfully we have leftover spaghetti for our dinner tonight. We like it better leftover than when it's first made. This is the end of our leftovers other than a tub of chili in the freezer that we will devour this weekend. Jeff is asking for chili mac and he's always up for chili dogs. I don't eat chili or anything made with it.

Good luck to everyone facing the latest winter blizzard. My prayers are with you. Going without power even for a day or so is miserable and dangerous.

Hugs all around...

shermur
March 8th, 2018, 11:16 AM
Morning everyone!

Yes, Blondie...the wicked snow is still falling. School was called off late yesterday afternoon before it really had started. Goodness knows when it will end today! UGH!

I have been up since 3:30 AM...the sewing room was calling! That has been one of the nice things about not being employed...I get to create and attempt to catch up how far behind I am!

I completed these this morning....

Hopefully, HAlgal13 will help me get the house caught up today too since she is available? HA HA!

Blondie
March 8th, 2018, 11:29 AM
Just got home from my morning cuppa with Sis, checking in here and then, poof! I will be gone for the day - I have decided to stitch and let the confetti of scraps stay where they lay.

Sherri, love those blocks! Absolutely to lust after.

Bubby, glad to hear that Dottie's meds seem to be working. A dear friend recently adopted a dog from the local shelter here and after about 2 weeks, found out that she (Sugar) has epilepsy. They are still trying to get her meds regulated. So sad - most likely why she was given up - glad that Sugar has found the loving, compassionate forever home with Lela.

Karen, Robin and Monique - always good to have our plans rearranged. We ain't women for nothing. We have flexibility built in. Yay. Those extra projects needing completion are so rewarding.

To all the rest who follow, like I said above - stay safe, warm and most of all SMILE. It's gonna be a great day.

MissMay
March 8th, 2018, 11:51 AM
Good Morning, What a difference a day makes. Yesterday we had very heavy rainfall which turned into very heavy snow fall and back again to rain which compacted the snow into 2" or so. Roads and our property cleared last night and today it is bright and sunny but I fear there are lots of icy spots. Have no pressing need to go anywhere or do anything outdoors so I'm staying inside and getting the house in order. Cleaned the fridge yesterday so there are no leftovers for dinner. I need to find something tasty for dinner. Barb, that chili sounds good. I'm not too crazy about it, too much salt, but DH likes it so I make it from scratch every once in awhile and control the seasoning.

Blondie, Hope that first cuppa has got you going. Anita you sure had a frustrating day, at least the garage door has been taken care of. Robin hope the turkeys are back and Monique you're getting set for a great weekend with your granddaughter. We'll be celebrating DH's 84th BDay on Saturday. Perkins Pancakes sent him a coupon for a free Magnificent Seven platter so that's where we'll go. He won't be able to eat all of that but he'll try. Isn't he cute?

Star lover
March 8th, 2018, 11:59 AM
Oh May.....he's adorable! I love old family photos!

SuzanneOrleansOntario
March 8th, 2018, 12:17 PM
I am up. I am having 2nd cuppa. Cat litter done. Dishwasher emptied. My DH is having issues with our PJ. He gets on the walker and jumps off and pushes it when the breaks are not on. I have to say that the sunroom and kitchen are in disorder with all the extra furniture DH wants close. This is now his zone. Kitchen, sunroom, bathroom, bedroom. All within 10-15 step area.

I had physio on my shoulder and neck yesterday. Oh, what a great feeling. I must remember to do the roll excercise.

I have been sewing/quilting deprived in the past two weeks, and getting crabby and cranky. So last night I went down, and cut and sewed the nine rows for the Victoria quilt. I hope to assemble them and put on the border. Then I have a plan to make a quick and dirty quilt top, probably using one of my jelly rolls. I need to feel like I can make something. I lok at my friend's quilt and think, get it done -- quick and out of here.

Today I will drive DH to work to meet with insurance person. What timing!!! He couldn't be in worst shape. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't renew his life insurance. I was planning on going to a LQS while in the area, but I will hang around and wait for him instead. I think I should start looking for a small project to sew while I am waiting for his appointments. I see this happening more and more.

We are getting a bit of snow, I think up to 4-6". I will shovel later today. I am hoping that everyone affected by the Nor'easter will be safe and dry. I think this is where quilters have an advantage. We can just pile them on us to keep warm. Did that during one power outage, and we were sweating. We also have an emergency preparednesss kit and stockpile cans of food and water. Be careful if you do go out.

Have a good day everyone.

KPH
March 8th, 2018, 02:34 PM
I feel like I'm late to the party. We had home school this morning. DS#1 only sent two math worksheets. Those were done in a flash. We worked with money for a bit, since Uncle Chuck sent a box of plastic coins. Read Amelia Bedelia and laughed at her antics. We played mancala, the strategy is starting to kick in and I can see a lot of progress since we started playing.

He'll have Spring Break next week. Lucky Daddy has two weeks off. That will be good for Grandma, since Uncle Joe is coming for a day. He's driving my MIL down to NC to visit her sisters, then driving down here. He'll pick up his youngest daughter and her boyfriend at JAX on Sun AM and head across the state to his middle brother's house for a few days of visiting. Then back to the east coast to visit his son's family. They'll stop back here before they head back up to NC to pick up MIL and get back to IN for Easter. All that means to me... next week, I've got to clean this house and go to the grocery store!

I'm tempted to hold on to Chris's quilt and let Uncle Joe take it back to Chris's grandmother. She's planning to go visit him and sent word that she doesn't want him to pay for it. She wants to take care of the cost of the fabrics. I'm like OK, I'd never tell Aunt Jean no!

J and I are waiting on Dad. We're all going to Toys R Us to see Uncle Mike at work and pick up a bikes and helmets for the kiddos. They brought their old bikes to ride here, but Grandma says no riding until helmets are here. I know, I'm a mean Grandma.

The sun is shining here. I wish I could send some to the snow impacted areas. I can't send warmth today... it's cold!

I hope everyone has a great day!

Prayers for those in need for strength, and healing touches, Prayers for our many blessings!

Star lover
March 8th, 2018, 02:41 PM
Suzanne.....love your supervisor! Purfect!

geegeequilts
March 8th, 2018, 04:27 PM
Happy Thursday to all!
I've been "working" in my sewing room but haven't made much progress. Hurricane/tornado effects seem to take forever in there but I will win the battle in the end. I'd rather be doing that than be in the cleaner downstairs.

Please keep any frozen stuff away from me. I get cold just watching the weather news. Anyone that ventures out in the cold stuff please be safe & don't be out any longer than you have too.

Prayers for all who need them the most. They are heard. Just know you are never alone.

Gina

pjyoder414@yahoo.com
March 8th, 2018, 04:57 PM
Good afternoon everyone, though I was up and about at 4:30am first chance to get online. Don't get on here much anymore not because I don't want to but because it takes me forever to type and correct as my shaky hands have gotten really bad. The doctor is working with me trying out meds but so not much luck. Being originally from San Diego I just laugh and tell husband another earthquake day for me. Sometimes a 3 to 10 . Been fighting crazy asthma the pollen in Florida has been real high. I am finally getting my eyelid surgeries done on Tuesday. It should help a lot with being able to see better.

Saturday our neighbor is having a little get together as a meet and greet at one of our local cafes, should be fun. Sunday after church my girlfriend and I are going to our local OLD movie theater to see Pillow Talk. Should be a fun relaxing weekend, which is what I need as the last couple weeks I've been out in yard trying to get it cleaned up, and replanted with new after we lost 80% of our plants due to the extreme cold freeze we had here. I have this teenage neighbor who loves yard work and he has been a real blessing and he can use the money also so its a win, win.

Probably be couple weeks before I get back on (might be that long before the swelling, etc. is gone enough. Any and prayers are appreciated.

Have a blessed day
\Pam

Star lover
March 8th, 2018, 05:09 PM
Pam, I will certainly pray for you. Thankful you're here once in awhile. Sounds like a wonderful kid, to help you out......you never know how the Lord will work. Have fun at the movies....I LOVE old movies. Your sweet attitude warms my heart and brought a smile to my face.....
Love and big hugs!

JCY
March 8th, 2018, 05:20 PM
Good Afternoon ~ I'm just now getting here. I didn't have time early this a.m. I've been gone most of the morning. Took my tax info. over to our accountant. Then a stop to deliver the baby quilt, flannel blanket & 6 burp cloths. Had a chance to visit a while & hold the new baby. She was born Feb. 25. So cute. I don't get to hold many babies these days. Then on to the groc. store for carrots, which I'll need for the chicken soup tomorrow. It's that time again.

I have a load of laundry going. I hope to get some sewing done yet this afternoon. I'm ready to sew together the blocks into rows. I'm already thinking ahead to other quilt patterns I want to try, but I really should finish up at least 2 UFOs before I forge ahead with a new project.

I just saw on the web that a million folks in the NE are without power. So many trees & power lines down, & up to 2 ft. of snow in some places. And all the water front damage & flooding from heavy surf & high tides. Oh my. It's got to be just miserable. I hesitate to even say we're having a wonderfully sunny day with temp. of 72 deg. My tulips are up 2-3" already.

Time to check the laundry.