PDA

View Full Version : Some better news

BethB
March 7th, 2018, 11:28 AM
DH was moved out of ICU late Monday afternoon. He is in a single room because of his immunity, although the last white blood cell count has climbed to about 18,000, which is great. They said it will go back down some, but even if it drops in half, it will still be in the normal range. He is still very weak and has walked just a very short distance -- like a few feet --- with a walker. Then he sits down and is very short of breath. This was yesterday with physical therapy. The latest on his release is unsure. Several different stories. His oncologist said he will be in the hospital several more days. Others are saying he may be released to go to rehab but if he is better at getting around, then he would be released to go home. However, he will still be on intravenous antibiotics for quite some time. According to the infectious disease doctor, the bag of antibiotics will need to be changed every 4 hours - 24 hours a day. Who will do this? ME!!!!

There has been a problem with getting his antibiotics since he was moved our of ICU. He was moved about 3:30 p.m. and should have had a new bag of antibiotics at 4 p.m. I asked where it was and why he was not getting it several times. Well, they did not know where it was. I went down to the nurse's station to complain again and found his nurse standing around with 2 others talking. She can't find the antibiotic, but she can stand around talking. She said since it did not come up with the 6 p.m. deliveries, she was hoping it would come up at 7. Three nurses came in after 7 for shift change. I asked again about the antibiotic. One nurse said she would go see what was up. A couple of minutes later she walked in with it. Basically, he missed one full dose of his antibiotic.

Then yesterday, different nurse on daytime, before noon (when his next dose was due) and said that all meds were sent up at the beginning of the day but his antibiotic was not included and she did not know why so she was going to check that out. No further problem with it the rest of the day.

Thank you again, for all your thoughts and prayers. They have meant so much to me. You ladies are great!!!!

Nancy

KPH
March 7th, 2018, 11:34 AM
Nancy, I'm so glad you updated us. Your family has been in my thoughts and prayers daily.

Your DH is a lucky guy to have you there to be his advocate. I tend to get loud and obnoxious when protocols aren't followed. It's a good thing you're looking over everyone's shoulders. Go to the head of nursing if you have to, you just make sure they're minding their P's and Q's.

Take time for your self. You're in the germ sanctuary up there. Don't let yourself get run down.

Continuing to pray for you and yours.

Granny Fran
March 7th, 2018, 12:41 PM
Prayers continued for you and DH. And yes, you do need to be a strong advocate.

azmotogirl
March 7th, 2018, 12:47 PM
Glad to hear your husband is doing better. He is lucky you are there to watch out for him. If you are having problems with any of his care (aka not getting meds, etc) ask to speak to the charge nurse or patient advocate at the hospital. They can help you get things done in a timely manner.

LLLinda
March 7th, 2018, 01:43 PM
Wonderful to hear you are seeing a bit of day light. Prayers that it continues.

jjkaiser
March 7th, 2018, 01:54 PM
You are doing a great job keeping on top of things. I echo everyone else, if necessary demand to see the nursing supervisor. Your dh should not be skipping any meds simply because the staff either can't find it or don't know what happened to it, that is just totally unacceptable.

bubba
March 7th, 2018, 03:50 PM
I know what you are going thru and I know it's not any fun. Sadly, it is a job that has fallen in your lap and it's a job you can't refuse. I know this, because it has been my life for the last year. It is hard, especially at the beginning, but slowly, it will get better.

If he is sent home with the IV antibiotics, they will give you lessons on how to change them out. More than likely, they will be going in thru his port. You will not have to deal with any needles as they will have a line already inserted and you will just have to change out the bag. MM did it himself when he was on the feedbags last summer. Once a week, a home nurse came in and she would change out the line that went into the port, take blood and answer any questions. He/she will become a very good friend.

You've got this....YOU CAN DO IT!!

geegeequilts
March 7th, 2018, 04:29 PM
I think I would speak to his doctor even if you have to track him/her down. Don't let any lapse in meds, go unchecked. Be nice but be firm.

Gina

JCY
March 7th, 2018, 08:22 PM
Keep after those nurses! It's their responsibility to call the pharmacy to make sure the meds are given on time. If a dose is skipped, it's considered a medical error/incident & needs to be reported to the hosp. safety team. There is no excuse for missed doses. The 4 o'clock dose should have been sent with the patient to the floor from ICU when he was transferred. Keep tabs on things. Speak to the head nurse or supervisor if needed. I'm glad things are somewhat better.

MSN
March 7th, 2018, 10:14 PM
So glad to hear that he is doing better! I echo everyone else's advice here about advocating for him. It's entirely possible to be assertive and firm yet still kind. If you aren't getting response, you should definitely insist upon speaking to the nursing supervisor or patient advocate. There should be no missed doses.

Having just praised you for being such a good advocate for your DH, I also need to remind you to practice self care. You need to get adequate nutrition, hydration, and rest. You -- and your DH -- cannot afford for you to get worn down.

quilt_gems_25
March 8th, 2018, 02:26 AM
Thanks for the update. I have been praying for you and your DH. It is good he is showing improvement.

Star lover
March 8th, 2018, 08:08 AM
Thank you for taking the time to update us. You are both still in my prayers. So thankful that things are better and that you're able to be there for your husband. Hugs!

SuzanneOrleansOntario
March 8th, 2018, 12:50 PM
I am certainly glad that he is doing better. It has been my experience when a loved one is in hospital, their outcome is very much related to having someone to be their advocate. Me, I am civilized, if they do their job. Then I loose it, if I see neglect. I know that cut backs have affected care, but like you witnessed, some staff make it their mission to talk all he time.

Do not push for a quick release, unless you are not covered by insurance. If he is to be sent home, get all the services and help in place before he arrives. There will be screw ups, but he is very lucky that you are there for him.

Keep up the good work, and remember to take care of yourself.

Connie Jo
March 9th, 2018, 10:12 AM
Glad he got out of ICU. I hope they have home health or someone that will be able to give you some help. You have my continued prayers.

Midge
March 9th, 2018, 03:20 PM
JCY is correct. As another retired nurse, telling the doctor about it might be good venting, but it will not pay off in the long run in your relationship with her/him. This is a nursing and pharmacy responsibility and if medications are not given within a certain time frame of the specified time interval, it is considered a medication error. Remember that term. Medication error. JCY is right that there must be an incident report submitted each and every time it happens. You don't have access to those documents. They are not part of the medical record. However, you should speak to the Nurse Manager on the unit about "the repeated medication errors". That will get his/her attention. Start writing down who you speak to and when, and how late the medications are. You need this because you are emotionally involved and they are not. It is much more effective to have facts at your fingertips and use them clearly and assertively than rant and rave. Everyone dismisses the patient and family that scream and insult. When they encounter someone with information who knows how to use it, they do start to listen. I'm sorry you are not in a very high quality facility, but at least you know this now and can proceed accordingly to protect your husband. The hospital should also have a patient/family advocate. That is a risk management position, and they can help to get the lazy ones off their duffs and doing their jobs. There are so many wonderful and dedicated nurses, but as a retired nurse, I also encountered the other kind as well. Good luck, and glad to hear your husband is out of ICU.

nativetexan
March 10th, 2018, 01:20 PM
oh my goodness. you must be Shirley Mclaine, keep on those Nurses. I know they are run off their feet but meds must be given as directed and they know that. call the Hospital Administrator if necessary. (())