PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday Trivia: Chinese Checkers

Star lover
March 6th, 2018, 08:22 AM
Chinese checkers is sort of like checkers, but it's definitely not Chinese.

It's based on a game called Halma from the Greek word for "jump" devised in the 1880s by a Massachusetts surgeon named George Howard Monks and inspired by an older English game called Hoppity.

Originally, Halma was played on a square board. The star-shaped board variation came from Germany, where the game is sometimes called Sternhalma (Star Halma).

Naming it Chinese checkers was an American marketing concept from the 1920s intended to capitalize on people's fascination with the "exotic East."

Hulamoon
March 6th, 2018, 09:10 AM
That brings back memories. My dad bought me a tin set with drawers that held the marbles.We would play when I went to visit him. I wish I still still had it, it would be vintage now. lol I'm happy to hear the history of it. Maybe I'll track down one for the grand kids to play when they come over.

KPH
March 6th, 2018, 09:24 AM
I remember playing Chinese Checkers with Grandma Mac. I saw the game when we moved, being pressed paper, it was in horrible shape. It was one of those things that we pitched.

JCY
March 6th, 2018, 12:50 PM
I used to play Chinese checkers -- as well as other games -- with the kids when they were still living at home. I love board games, but DH never has been interested. However, he did play Sorry with the gr. kids when they were here in 2007. That poor Sorry box had seen better days. I recently accidentally dumped it on the floor when I was lifting it down from a high shelf in the closet. Some of the pieces have gone missing underneath an area where I can't reach. I discarded the box. Saved the instructions, cards & play pieces. Maybe it will get used again some time. I've decided to donate the Trivia game. We seldom played it. Our senior fellowship group at church periodically has a game day.