PDA

View Full Version : Anyone take a cruise to Alaska?

Hulamoon
March 6th, 2018, 12:25 AM
I really need a vacation and thought what could be more out of the box coming from Hawaii than Alaska! I guess I have to fly to Seattle or SF. I see all the itineraries and companies and get all confused. I'll be going this one alone. Any advice?

SuzanneOrleansOntario
March 6th, 2018, 12:44 AM
My quilting girlfriend and I are itching to go on a quilting cruise.

I know several people who have gone on them and love it. I have cruised but this was before I started quilting. I'm not sure where I would put all that I buy, as I am a pro-shopper. I usually max weight on one luggage and have to buy another to put extra stuff.

Post if you decide on a particular one. I know there are cruises to Hawaii, Alaska (on the other coast for us), but maybe a Caribbean or Meditarranean one.

Jean Sewing Machine
March 6th, 2018, 12:53 AM
Went about 15 years ago, went out of Seattle on a small ship. Loved it a lot!

MSN
March 6th, 2018, 01:06 AM
I have never gone on a cruise (I get violently seasick), but I understand that the Inside Passage is spectacular.

If you are on a budget and are willing to forego the usual cruise activities and endless buffet, consider planning a trip on the Alaska State Ferry. It travels to many of the same ports. You can even pitch your tent on the deck.

https://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/

KarenC
March 6th, 2018, 01:14 AM
I took a Princess cruise along the inside passage. Would love to go again, especially to Juneau. I want to walk on a glacier.

Mom23
March 6th, 2018, 01:14 AM
I've attached a link for the Alaskan cruise we took almost three years ago. It was a great trip. I have heard great things about the Alaska State Ferry as well. Perhaps you could check reviews for both to see which would work better for you.

https://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-destinations/alaska-cruises/cruisetour-options/denali-explorer/index.jsp

LauraP
March 6th, 2018, 01:42 AM
check out www.quiltcruises.com they have two upcoming Alaska cruises May19-26 and Aug 15-26

Maybe you and Katrina (KPH) should go together

Hulamoon
March 6th, 2018, 02:04 AM
I wasn't thinking of a quilt cruise, but the train trip sounds fun!

bubba
March 6th, 2018, 02:26 AM
Yep, sail out of Seattle. They have a HUGE cruise industry. If you plan on going ashore at stops on the way, you will need to have a passport to do the Canadian ones. I know several people who have cruised up there and it's supposed to be fabulous. If you check into it, you can actually even ride the ferry up there instead of a cruise ship. I'm not exactly how you find that info though.

JaniceR
March 6th, 2018, 03:19 AM
My husband and I have gone on Princess. We did the Inside Passage and absolutely loved every minute. Left out of Vancouver and ended in Whittier. We love whale watching so we went on a whale watching excursion in Juneau. It was just wonderful.

We are planning to go again next summer for our 50th wedding anniversary. I highly recommend it!

laura44
March 6th, 2018, 04:21 AM
Went twice on a cruise to Alaska out of Seattle. LOVED Alaska!
Went in May both times on Princess. No rough seas at all. Some light rain
the 1st time, the second time people were getting a tan on deck. Lots of excursions
to choose from. Went whale watching, rented a car and drove to the Yukon, walked
into town, shopped, walked to the glacier. The inside passage is beautiful!

snippet
March 6th, 2018, 05:33 AM
I went on an Alaska cruise 2 years ago with a girlfriend and loved it. We flew to Anchorage, then took a train down to Seward and then did the 7 day cruise down to Vancouver. It was wonderful. We saw glaciers, whales, dolphins, seals, eagles and so much more.

Last year I did a 14 day cruise all by myself. Solo trips are really awesome and you'll meet people and have so much fun. Join cruisecritic.com and their forum. They have roll calls of each ship cruise where you can 'meet' other who are on your cruise. I did this and got to know the cruise ports better too. We even met the night before the cruise for dinner.

You might be able to find a cruise going from Hawaii to Alaska. I know the ship we were on was going the other way - from Alaska to Hawaii and then on to Australia for the winter. The cruiselines reposition the ships every year, so you might find one going back to Alaska in the spring.

I like Royal Caribbean and their ships and amenities. The awesome thing about going solo is that space in the cabin isn't an issue because you don't have to share with anyone!

If you have any other questions, let me know. I can let you know what we did on our trip at each port. cruisecritic.com really can help you in choosing a cruise.

Have fun!

Cathy F
March 6th, 2018, 08:49 AM
I went on an Alaskan cruise quite a while back but I must say it exceeded all my expectations. We went on Norwegian cruise line.

We did a helicopter tour which was our favorite part and landed on the ice fields behind the glacier and we're able to get out and walk around. There were 4 of us and the pilot and when we got out and looked around we felt like we were the last remaining people on Earth as we were completely surrounded by ice as far as the eye could see.we did the inside passage which is quite green so the ice fields were a great contrast. Beautiful state would go back again.

Claire Hallman
March 6th, 2018, 11:24 AM
Snippit is right about the cruisecritic website, It is not what the name implies but a division of tripadvisor with unlimited information about cruising in general and ships/cruises in particular. It has been an invaluable resource for our many past cruises.

We have an Alaska cruise [our second] planned for 7/19 on the Carnival Legend which is round trip from Seattle. We are also hoping to go to Denali and other areas before the cruise on our own. Lots of planning in my future.

Hulamoon
March 6th, 2018, 04:22 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Cathy we went in a helicopter over the glaciers in New Zealand and we landed too. The scary part was that the pilot related a story about a couple of hikers that fell down into the deep deep crevices and were never found. Gave me the hee-b-geebies.

bubba
March 6th, 2018, 05:29 PM
They just announced, last week, a new ship Norwegian has that is based out of Seattle. I think it starts up in May and is HUGE!! I can't remember the name of it, but I do remember it has a go kart track on board!

Grey Lady
March 6th, 2018, 06:16 PM
They just announced, last week, a new ship Norwegian has that is based out of Seattle. I think it starts up in May and is HUGE!! I can't remember the name of it, but I do remember it has a go kart track on board!

It's the Norwegian Bliss. I have been drooling over it. The top deck has the go cart track. Even of more interest to me, is the covered observation lounge at the top of the ship. It looks beautiful. We took a Norwegian cruise last summer to Bermuda and loved the ship, crew, and experience.

Hulamoon
March 6th, 2018, 06:28 PM

Wow! I'm looking for more of a relaxed environment though. lol

LauraP
March 6th, 2018, 11:06 PM
Maybe this one?

CRUISE WEST

Ships: All

My pick for: Best cruise line for soft-adventure itineraries

Which seniors would feel at home: If you like to explore the sea and land in comfort and casual surroundings, put this line at the top of your list.

Why seniors would love this line: Cruise West’s informal vessels offer casual, close-up opportunities for responsible exploration and enjoyment of scenery and wildlife in unspoiled coastal areas of the globe. The captain may guide the ship so close to a waterfall in Alaska or British Columbia that you will feel its mist on your face. You can even request to be awakened for wildlife sightings or other special nighttime occurrences, such as the aurora borealis, or northern lights, while sailing in Alaska. Cultural and natural experiences are featured—you may experience a Tlingit folkloric show in Alaska or kayak off pristine beaches in Central America. Each night, the chef personally presents the menu, and naturalists interpret the wonders on the itinerary.

Those little extras: You can enjoy a small library with books and materials on the areas of the world you visit.

Caveats: Since the vessels have a small passenger count and sail on coastal itineraries, a doctor does not remain onboard during the cruise—but at least one crew member is trained in first response

Hulamoon
March 6th, 2018, 11:20 PM
Maybe this one?

CRUISE WEST

Ships: All

My pick for: Best cruise line for soft-adventure itineraries

Which seniors would feel at home: If you like to explore the sea and land in comfort and casual surroundings, put this line at the top of your list.

Why seniors would love this line: Cruise West’s informal vessels offer casual, close-up opportunities for responsible exploration and enjoyment of scenery and wildlife in unspoiled coastal areas of the globe. The captain may guide the ship so close to a waterfall in Alaska or British Columbia that you will feel its mist on your face. You can even request to be awakened for wildlife sightings or other special nighttime occurrences, such as the aurora borealis, or northern lights, while sailing in Alaska. Cultural and natural experiences are featured—you may experience a Tlingit folkloric show in Alaska or kayak off pristine beaches in Central America. Each night, the chef personally presents the menu, and naturalists interpret the wonders on the itinerary.

Those little extras: You can enjoy a small library with books and materials on the areas of the world you visit.

Caveats: Since the vessels have a small passenger count and sail on coastal itineraries, a doctor does not remain onboard during the cruise—but at least one crew member is trained in first response

That sounds nice. Not because I'm a senior at 60, but I did a lot of camping and visiting national parks when I was younger. I wanted to be a Forest Ranger. lol I enjoyed the long rides in the camper looking out the window. I had to pee in the back in a can when my mom was driving because she wouldn't stop though. Grr.

I think if I find the right one I could do it by myself, I hope.

MHG Winnower
March 7th, 2018, 08:08 AM
We did a land and cruise with Princess years ago. Great trip. Out of Vancouver....if you go out of Vancouver give yourself a couple of extra days and go visit Butchart Garden you won't regret it. https://www.google.com/search?q=butchart+gardens&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1 and Queen Elizabeth Park http://vancouver.ca/parks-recreation-culture/queen-elizabeth-park.aspx

BethB
March 7th, 2018, 11:03 AM
We took an Alaskan cruise ---- calculate, calculate ---- Wow, it will be 20 years ago in August. Anyway, it was great!!! Royal Caribbean was the cruise line, one of their smaller ships. We left from Vancouver. We had an inside cabin --- bad idea. No windows. We overslept the first day because it was dark in the cabin. We saw whales, dolphins and bald eagles!! Also, Jim Nabors (Gomer Pyle, for the younger set) was on the ship as entertainment. He got off in Juneau and flew back to Hawaii. What a fantastic voice. He autographed a picture frame and then we bought a picture of him taken in the dining room. Great cruise, even with our 14 year old daughter along. Would love to go again.

Nancy

Patty J
March 7th, 2018, 06:20 PM
I've been on 2 Alaskan cruises and would take another one in a heartbeat. We did land and sea trip so we could see more of the Alaskan countryside. I come from the Midwest and never saw mountains before. I was in awe of the gorgeous scenery. We went on the Celebrity cruise lines. Our first one was on the Summit a mid sized ship the second one was on the ( Darn I can't remember the name, but it was a larger ship) We liked the smaller ship. We loved all the amenities and the fact that we could be as active as we wanted or as restful as we wanted. Don't pack every day so full that you can't relax for even a moment. It is tempting to fill your day with lots of activities. But you need down time too. We took the ship from Vancouver to Alaska then did the land tour second. I'd for sure do the land tour again, It is so beautiful. As mentioned above, check out Cruise Critics for all kinds of information and maybe you can even get on private tours with another group so you could do tours cheaper than the ship offers and so you won't be going alone. It worked out great for us. We organized a bear watch tour and there were 2 singles that didn't know each other at the start of the trip and ended up doing more things together. Have fun planning and do your research.