PDA

View Full Version : Monday Trivia: Whales

Star lover
March 5th, 2018, 08:50 AM
When whales rise smoothly to poke their heads straight up out of the water it's called a spyhop.
Most likely, they do this to "hop" up and take a look at what's happening on the water's surface.

On the other end of the whale behavior spectrum there's lobtailing.
That's when a whale raises its tail and slaps it sharply on the water's surface.

Why whales lobtail isn't clear, but it certainly makes a big splash.

KPH
March 5th, 2018, 09:45 AM
My aunt loved whales. They certainly are powerful mammals.

Hulamoon
March 5th, 2018, 01:35 PM
How interesting. I had to go look up how spyhop is different than breaching and there are very different reasons.

LauraP
March 5th, 2018, 01:50 PM
more trivia: did you know Narwhals are the only whale who can lift their head? The rest don't have the right bones in their necks. I guess it's so they can get their long tooth (tusk) out of the way.

Star lover
March 5th, 2018, 02:06 PM
I love Narwhal whales! When my boys were little, their favorite book was about whales. We read it until the cover came off and then some. The narwhals were their favorite, so they makes me think of my boys when they were small.

bubba
March 5th, 2018, 03:14 PM
Several years ago, there was a pod of whales in the area and I took my dad to see them. He was so stinking excited, and so was I. As we stood on shore watching, they were no further than 50' away splashing around......I will never forget that time with him!

Star lover
March 5th, 2018, 03:40 PM
Several years ago, there was a pod of whales in the area and I took my dad to see them. He was so stinking excited, and so was I. As we stood on shore watching, they were no further than 50' away splashing around......I will never forget that time with him!

Wow, how awesome is that!?!

MSN
March 5th, 2018, 11:51 PM
Even though I live in land-locked Minnesota, I love whales and have traveled the world to see them. My favorite experience was seeing a pod of about 30 beluga whales in Alaska. While we were on shore watching the pod swim closer to us, the Alaska Railroad train came by, slowed down, and then stopped for about 10 minutes so that the passengers could see the whales. Later that day, we mentioned to a shopkeeper in Anchorage that we had seen a pod of belugas. Her response was that she had lived in Alaska for more than 10 years and had never seen a whale. We were there two weeks and saw whales three times. They are such amazing creatures!

SuzanneOrleansOntario
March 6th, 2018, 12:02 AM
They are such beautiful creatures. When my daughter turned 16, she chose British Columbia (Vancouver,Vicoria and Whistler) as the trip we would take as a family. It was July and we took a whale watching trip along the BC coast to the U.S. border. We saw so many of them and up lose. The drivers are not allowed to chase them and have restrictions as to how close they can get. They were very knowledgeable and explained how every whale has specific markings, and he identified many by name. We later saw pictures of the ones we saw. They can cut the engine and wait. We had some who came within 30 feet from the boat. Afterwards I was happy none of them raised their tail to splash in the water.

DH and I also saw some on a cruise to Alaska. Graceful.