PDA

View Full Version : Just a bit of Night Owling!

toggpine
March 5th, 2018, 04:05 AM
Long time since I have had enough left over for a bit of night owl sewing!

I love my work, but it has cut into the sewing as I need my sleep to handle the kiddos at school!
Then Mom fell and broke her kneecap. There has been appointments, surgery, and more appointments. Things are not all well in the mental department there either. Not horrible yet, but slipping. Their house is too big for them, but they have refinanced several times, and I'm not sure if they could afford to move, even if they wanted to. So I have been going over when I can and helping with the house cleaning and laundry. It wasn't such a big deal to help when I wasn't working full time. I'd put Em on the bus, run to Mom's, be there for most of the day, and then head home to get Em off the bus. They are having to get used to the idea I can't do that anymore, and it's kinda been tough for them.

We just finished the second session of the after school sewing program. The kids are doing really well. We are going to lose some of our best students to the Girls On The Run program is spring. As sad as I am about that, the GOTR will be great for them too.
I really can't wait to get Lane on the sewing machine! I think he is going to do really well. He has great hand stitches, and can focus on following directions pretty good. Pretty impressive since he's only in 2nd grade, and we don't usually take younger than 3rd.

My current project is a fidget. This is a thing that kids can manipulate while trying to focus on their work. You know the guy that clicks his pen while thinking? Yeah, like that but quiet! This one is 5" square of two different textures of fabric sewn together and then a maze is top stitched down. A marble is inserted and the entire perimeter is top stitched to seal in the marble. The kids can then squirt the marble around the maze with one hand while reading, figuring math problems, etc. No pen clicking. No pencil tapping! We had a few of them and the kiddos managed to liberate the marbles from weak seams. We'll see if they can make it through the serged seams and extra top stitching!

Some good news, it looks like our son and DIL will be closing on their first house by mid-month. They are also 6 weeks pregnant. We'll see if this wee one can hold on. I think the first ultrasound is next week. I want to be happy about this baby. I really wish they had given it at least 6 to 12 more months. She had an egg not release from her ovary and it was fertilized there. They lost the baby, that ovary, and the Fallopian tube. They have had two more not hold since then. Ugh. We will just keep praying that everything will work out for this one!

I'm going to go clean up the fuzz off of my cutting board and pack it in for the night. It's a school day tomorrow!

How is everything in your neck of the woods?
Hugs, Cathy

kimsophia
March 5th, 2018, 04:42 AM
It seems I'm hooting tonight. @,@ We're having rain move through tonight with a few rumbles of thunder after a sunny but windy day. The snow is all melted here and I saw my first robins of spring three days ago. I'm not seeing any bulbs coming up yet except for the grape hyacinth.

I've been busy appliqueing down animals on my Village quilt borders this past week. It is going faster than I thought. Now I'm debating replacing the clear invisible thread zig zags with smoke color on the dark fabrics. I'll probably do it, but first I'm going to iron down critters on another side.

I made potato soup and cookies for my church last month so that was a fair amount of cooking for me. I baked Russian teacakes and Scotch shortbread. Yum.

We got some new carpet upstairs that's very cushy underfoot. I've been enjoying that. We still haven't put back all the furniture yet as I like it emptier. We are also getting new doors this spring as they were leaking and rotting the plywood underflooring. We for sure hired a different company than the con artist from Home Advisor! Man was that a nightmare.

My husband had some fidget fabric he would pick at at work or he shook his crossed leg's foot. :) I used to discover these little squares of frayed fabric in his pants' pockets :)

Judy, USMC
March 5th, 2018, 04:59 AM
And I'm hooting tonight too! Glad to get an update on everyone.

I had gotten so used to being out of town for Steve's medical appointments I've developed my own "special interest" wanderlust. Took a landscape class in one town; getting geared up for a week long retreat starting this Thursday; off to Chicago and another retreat in April and then off to Missouri for the Birthday Bash and Forum Retreat for my birthday in September.

Too quiet in the house. I talk but no one answers ... Guess I should look at getting "Alexa" just so I could hear someone answer me! Last load in the dryer and packing tomorrow. Goodnight all.

Blondie
March 5th, 2018, 06:50 AM
I have been up since 3 am - I still wake up far too early but most of the time can go back to sleep. Not so this morning. It was good to see you Cathy and get sort of caught up. I admire anyone that can teach.

Kimsophia, I have made a few fidgets and want to make more for the area home residents. Nothing detailed, just some beads, buttons on old shirt pockets and stuff like that.

Judy! had I known you were up, we could have yakked on the phone, lol. Glad you are able to still travel. Hugs to you

MSN
March 6th, 2018, 12:08 AM
Some good news, it looks like our son and DIL will be closing on their first house by mid-month. They are also 6 weeks pregnant. We'll see if this wee one can hold on. I think the first ultrasound is next week. I want to be happy about this baby. I really wish they had given it at least 6 to 12 more months. She had an egg not release from her ovary and it was fertilized there. They lost the baby, that ovary, and the Fallopian tube. They have had two more not hold since then. Ugh. We will just keep praying that everything will work out for this one!

Cathy,

A number of years ago, I was visiting a friend who was in medical school. I tagged along as she went to her classes one day. An OB/GYN professor was lecturing about infertility, and he said that following a miscarriage, there is no medical reason to wait before getting pregnant again. The outcomes are no better for those who wait than for those who get pregnant with the next cycle. Here's hoping that your son and DIL have a healthy and uneventful pregnancy.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
March 6th, 2018, 12:36 AM
Hi Cathy,
It is certainly difficult to be the meat in the sandwich, and working. I don't know the programs available to you in your state regarding aging parents. It might be time to start checking these out, and get help if you have siblings. As I say this, my brother was totally useless and uninvolved with any of my parents moves, or help of any kind when my mom required long-term care. I know I had an aunt who lived in NY state. She had no children, so she signed over her house, in exchange for a lovely private room in a home until she died. She lived there a good 12-15 years. That was ok with my mom, her only remaining sister.

You also are involved with grandkids. Remember it is important not to forget about yourself and your needs. This is the best way to help others, by maintaining our own sanity.

I hope all goes well for your so and his wifen. I also had miscarriages and an ectopic pregnancy after my son. I lost an ovary, tube, but still managed to have a beautiful baby girl. My thoughts are with them for a positive outcome.

Take care.

Claire Hallman
March 6th, 2018, 11:16 AM
Best of luck to the young couple.
My son and DIL also lost a baby, lost a tube to endometriosis and then had two healthy babies. The first was an egg from the lost tube side that managed to cross over and get where she needed to be to grow and be full term.
We don't know about the second, when they went to the doctor to investigate/seek infertility help they were already pregnant.:D