PDA

View Full Version : It canít get ant worse, can it?

BethB
March 4th, 2018, 08:22 AM
I wasnít on the forum yesterday, so here I am, wide awake since 4:30 a.m. DH is still in ICU. In addition to pneumonia in both lungs, he also has sepsis - infection in the blood. They have been testing his medi-port and if that is where the infection is coming from, they will remove it and replace it at some point later. In the meantime, they may have to put in a temporary one. His oncologist said he needs intravenous antibiotics for at least six days, possibly up to 14 days, depending on what blood tests show. Last night they doubled up on an antibiotic b/c his numbers on one test were just barely above normal.

On Friday, they drained another 1,100 mL of fluid from around his right lung and another 520 mL from around the left. This morning he is supposed to have fluid drained from his abdomen (3rd time). Donít know why they didnít do it on Friday when they did the lungs.

I am so tired, just too much running back and forth. I am at The hospital by 9:30 - 10 each morning, go home around 3:30 - 4 to let the dog out and feed him and back to the hospital till around 8 p.m. I try to grab something to eat while I am home. Today, on the way to the hospital, I am stopping by a friends to drop off 3 quilts. Today is picture day for quilts being entered into my guilds quilt show in June. She is taking mine with her since I will be at the hospital.

There has to be an end to this sometime ó I hope.

Nancy

SuzanneOrleansOntario
March 4th, 2018, 08:45 AM
Oh Nancy, I am so sorry that your husband is still in ICU. This reminds me so much when my dad was ill. That was 20 years ago, and I was much younger. He was in his 80s and my mom was not doing well, and on occasion she would be in emergency and my dad in ICU. I would go to the hospital before I went to work, at lunchtime and evenings. I worked at a health association and worked long hours, evenings and weekends. I had a husband and teenagers. I can tell you I ran myself into the ground.

Try to take care of yourself, as much as possible. It is difficult not to be there and you are probably his voice. Hopefully you have some family or friends you can lean on for support. I will pray for you and a good outcome your husband. Sending you hugs.
Suzanne

Tracie T
March 4th, 2018, 09:21 AM
Oh my....I'm so sorry. Like Suzanne said, try to take care of yourself some. You don't want to get so run down that you get sick. I know that is easier said then done but I will continue to pray for you and your husband.

KPH
March 4th, 2018, 09:46 AM
Wrapping you in supportive hugs as you continue to be your DH's support in this difficult situation. As the others have said, you have to take care of yourself in order to take care of him. In your position, I'd be there every minute they would let me be there. I had my hexies to take my mind to somewhere else, to help me find a calming space when Mom and when Howard were both in the hospital. (Maybe that's why that quilt just never seems to get finished).

You and yours are in my prayers.

JCY
March 4th, 2018, 09:53 AM
Dear Nancy ~ So sorry for all you're going through. Doctors usually will not drain fluid around the lungs & also the abdomen at the same time. They are 2 different procedures. It is fairly common for infections to originate from IV ports, but not as common to develop sepsis. It sounds like the medical staff are doing all they can for your DH. Continued prayers for you both.

Connie Jo
March 4th, 2018, 10:12 AM
Nancy I am so sorry. I wish there was something I could do to help you. I pray everyday for both of you. Hugs

azmotogirl
March 4th, 2018, 10:46 AM
Continued thoughts and prayers for you and your husband......

grammaterry
March 4th, 2018, 10:50 AM
Beth, all I know to do is Pray for you. God will give you the strength you need. Ask a friend to come and sit with you if you can. Find a good book to read, maybe some hand sewing. Try to keep busy while you wait. We know it is an agonizing and frightening situation.

Astatoo
March 4th, 2018, 10:59 AM
So sorry to hear this Nancy. You have been in my prayers and will continue to be. ((((((hugs))))))

Cathy F
March 4th, 2018, 10:59 AM
Just want you to know you and your husband are in my prayers.

Judy, USMC
March 4th, 2018, 12:01 PM
Nancy - I know it seems like the world is a dark place right now. Please keep in mind that everyone is doing what they think is best for him. As the other said ... take care of yourself and that means take time for yourself. It's easier for you if you can destress every few days. Prayers continuing.

Jean Sewing Machine
March 4th, 2018, 12:09 PM
Thanks for coming here for support. You know we are all with you in spirit. Wish we could take some of the burden off of your shoulders physically. I can really feel your pain and exhaustion, just wish we could relieve you a bit. So I hope our prayers can be felt to boost you up as you go through this. Prayers for husband's recovery from all of these terrible illnesses.

MSN
March 4th, 2018, 12:35 PM
All I can say is to echo everyone's good advice. I know it's very scary and exhausting for you. I hope you feel the support being sent to you by Forum members.

laura44
March 4th, 2018, 12:37 PM
What an ordeal for you both. Continued prayers for a complete and speedy healing.

LauraP
March 4th, 2018, 01:07 PM
Do you have a neighbor who could help with the dog? You might ask the hospital if they allow Rv's to park in their lots. If you don't know someone who has one they aren't that expensive to rent. That way you wouldn't have the drive time. Handwork is a necessity for me. When my daughter was in ICU I crocheted her sister an afghan. Kept my mind busy so I wasn't worrying so much about the "what if's". If you belong to a church or other group, ask them if they would be willing to come visit you in the hospital. That way you could have contact and still be just outside the ICU, just in case. Maybe they would bring you goodies:)
I know it's easy for us to say but we do mean it. Keep your chin up and make sure to make time for yourself, even if it's just sitting quietly in the chapel.

Granny Fran
March 4th, 2018, 01:23 PM
Continued prayers for you and your DH.

jjkaiser
March 4th, 2018, 02:35 PM
Oh Nancy, I feel so bad for you. Life just sucks sometimes doesn't it. One day at a time. You will get through this somehow. And if it helps at all to vent here, we are all ears day or night 24/7.

Cokie
March 4th, 2018, 04:13 PM
Praying for you and your dh right now. Have been in a similar situation not that long ago and it is exhausting. Be sure to take care of yourself, as others have said. For me, I needed to take a walk every once in a while, even if just to get a cup of coffee or sit for a few minutes somewhere else where I could think clearly for a bit. It can be so overwhelming when things just keep piling on.

KarenC
March 4th, 2018, 09:02 PM
Still praying for some relief for you both.

Snip Snip
March 4th, 2018, 10:26 PM
Sending hugs and well wishes to you and your husband. Like the others have said, please try to take care of yourself.

Midge
March 4th, 2018, 10:43 PM
So sorry you and your dear husband are going through this awful time. Agree with the others though that you must begin to think about taking care of yourself as the days stretch on. Your exhaustion will help absolutely no one, and it will definitely overtake you if you don't monitor yourself very carefully. I know it is hard to hear such advice when you want to spend every minute with your dear one, but I would bet he will read your feelings in your expression, and that would raise his worries. I hope the nursing staff and physicians are communicating well with you. You must insist on this if they are not. And I sincerely hope you have been able to be candid with both your sons and can help them realize the extent of his illness. So much is on your shoulders. I know I'm not alone in sending prayers, thoughts for healing and comfort and support to you.

Monique
March 5th, 2018, 08:15 AM
Continued prayers for you and yours is all I have to offer you.

Star lover
March 5th, 2018, 08:44 AM
Oh Nancy, praying for your husband and you. That the Lord's strength will guide you. My love to you both with lots of hugs!

mommadeb
March 5th, 2018, 03:18 PM
That is a very difficult position to be in. I too have "been there, done that" and I feel your exhaustion. Hang in there and be sure to take time for yourself! You have to be healthy to take care of your DH. Prayers out to all of you.

geegeequilts
March 5th, 2018, 05:13 PM
I am praying for you & your husband. Both of you have a such a hard road to travel it's a wonder you guys have any sanity left. Could someone from your church sit with your husband for just a short time & take a few minutes for you & just go to your hairdresser for a simple wash & dry ? I always feel a little revitalization after such a visit. It wouldn't take that long & you'll feel energized & rested.

Please take a few minutes for you. You guys have a long way to go before all is better.

Prayers are going out for you.

Gina