PDA

View Full Version : I've got the POWER!

Blondie
March 3rd, 2018, 06:07 PM

Hello dear friends
Shortly after I left you yesterday morning to get ready for work, a huge tree from woods across the road fell. It covered the road and then again some. Had to call my first client and tell him, don't come yet - so, deputy sheriff got there quickly, cordoned off the road, and - if you live in a small town, you understand that every local volunteer fireman showed up with chain saws and stood there figuring out which way to begin tackling it. An hour later, I was able to get back across the road to work. The wind was so fierce - you notice those things when you are just slightly higher than most roads in town. I called my two next clients - Ms Martin and Ms Moffat both up there - as in 102 yrs old and 93, respectively and admonished them to just stay home. So very glad they did. I no sooner got off the phone with the next few ladies who live out of town when the power went out. This was at 9:15. It came back on about 20 minutes ago. So much for the blustery, winds day. There were quite a few of us without power and in our neighboring Virginia counties they are still without and are not thought to be re connected until Tues or Wed. I felt much better about our situation after I heard that. Still, this has been a hateful year for us weather-wise. No need to tell y'all those woes since I am more than a little certain you have had the same or worse! Especially the peeps in the Great White North. I tell you, y'all are still the real pioneers. See, down here in NC, we like our snow. Not too deep, make a snowball and then leave the next day. We don't even like it very much colder than 30. We don't deal well with frozen water pipes and the headaches that go along with it. Please don't ask how I know. So, yes indeed this has been a rough winter.

I made sure Mom was okay, the babies went with their Mommy to her folks where there was power. Then back home again. What do you do without power? You know the answer to that! You quilt! Now, you see, I always have something to quilt on. Currently I have 4 separate projects that come to mind. One I am currently working on is this one:

I have others that I am almost hesitant out of embarrassment to show because, wellsir, I started some so long ago that I forgot where I was going with them. They are nicely and neatly stored in containers and now and again I will take a peek, shake my head and say, I have forgotten more than I will ever remember about you. Not that any of you have that problem.

Off to go to the store. Just imagine what the inside of my frig and freezer look like! That's right! Chocolate ice cream melted out the door. Can't be having that. No sir! And since I will be too tired to cook after all that shopping I think some thing take out to home sounds just right. Life is good when I don't have to cook. (that also means I don't have to clean the dishes - win win!)

Blessings and smiles

Star lover
March 3rd, 2018, 06:22 PM
Wow, what an ordeal! So thankful everything is looking up! I too hand quilt, so no power......I'm good......for awhile. Take care. Big hugs!

GrammaBabs
March 3rd, 2018, 06:58 PM
What a day for you!!!!
We lucked out and just a few shingles off the roof,,, Mr. Bill will be "on the roof" tomorrow... (not my choice, but no stopping the man as long as he can MOVE)...LOL
Tonight we are off to a dance... (country western),,, which he hates, but just want to see my friends and share some laughs and "imbibe" a little..
My DD and her hubs are coming here to shower and relax while we are out...
There are advantages to living in a retirement community...:)) Our own "grid" and living in a HIGH area:)) GB

Judy, USMC
March 3rd, 2018, 07:34 PM
Great that your town is small enough that the volunteers came to help. And hand work is a talent that comes in very handy during storms like these. Happy to hear you made it through those winds.

Here on the coast the strong winds actually blew the water out of the river in Washington, NC and left boats high and dry because there was not enough water left for the boats tied up at the pier to float ...

150782 150783

bhaggerty
March 3rd, 2018, 07:37 PM
Glad you are ok!!!

EnumclawGramma
March 3rd, 2018, 07:41 PM
Yeesh! I really don't enjoy a good windstorm. We had enough of that living in the woods, and worrying about trees and whether or not the generator was ready for another season of power outages. Now in our new place I read about power going out in my city but we've not had an issue with it. I can see the weather come and go and it's such a treat.

Stay warm Dear Blonde one. ***HUGS***

grammaterry
March 3rd, 2018, 08:11 PM
Oh Judy, that picture says it all. And Blondie, I know us NCarolinians do not tolerate extreme weather conditions. Our idea of extreme is that its extremely nice today.

Mimi_Howard
March 3rd, 2018, 08:41 PM
Just toss some pieces of fruit in with that melting ice cream and call it a "smoothie".

KarenC
March 3rd, 2018, 09:17 PM
Glad that you are ok.

KPH
March 3rd, 2018, 09:51 PM
Oh my! Blondie and the rest of the NC gals, you all can come and visit this NC girl in Northern FL... I know where some really nice quilt shops are.

Blondie
March 4th, 2018, 12:10 AM
Just toss some pieces of fruit in with that melting ice cream and call it a "smoothie".

now, why didn't I think of that! great idea!

Blondie
March 4th, 2018, 12:11 AM
Great that your town is small enough that the volunteers came to help. And hand work is a talent that comes in very handy during storms like these. Happy to hear you made it through those winds.

Here on the coast the strong winds actually blew the water out of the river in Washington, NC and left boats high and dry because there was not enough water left for the boats tied up at the pier to float ...

150782 150783

Oh Judy, I had no idea until after we got home from shopping how far and wide spread this nasty storm was. Those pics are heartbreaking. Glad you are safe.

Blondie
March 4th, 2018, 12:13 AM
What a day for you!!!!
We lucked out and just a few shingles off the roof,,, Mr. Bill will be "on the roof" tomorrow... (not my choice, but no stopping the man as long as he can MOVE)...LOL
Tonight we are off to a dance... (country western),,, which he hates, but just want to see my friends and share some laughs and "imbibe" a little..
My DD and her hubs are coming here to shower and relax while we are out...
There are advantages to living in a retirement community...:)) Our own "grid" and living in a HIGH area:)) GB

Geesh Babs, I could use Mr Bill to nail the tin back on the barn across the road. It's singing in the wind. None of us climb a ladder taller than a footstool these days. Good grief! What a man.

Ginny B
March 4th, 2018, 02:41 AM
Well we lucked out and we didn't lose power and no damage to our house. Just a few branches down in the yard. However, Westchester County didn't fair very well. My sons lost power about 5:30 this morning and it's not estimated to be restored until 11 pm on Tuesday. My oldest son came down here this afternoon with my grand dog. He (the dog) is up there in age it would be so cold. Also he doesn't do well with darkness. My son has to go to work on Monday though so I am thinking I will just stay home here with the dog and hope that they will actually get their power on earlier than expected. My other son says he will be fine up there but we'll see how long he lasts. He does have a fireplace for some heat and a gas stove for cooking but he might want a hot shower before Tuesday night.

I hope all who are without power or dealing with damage from this storm, get the help they need as soon as possible. And the weatherman says there is a possibility of another nor'easter heading toward us on Wednesday. Oh boy.

bubba
March 4th, 2018, 03:47 AM
I'm with Libby.....we (MM and I) live in a city about ten miles from her and in the almost 30 years we have been in this house, we have only lost power a couple of times. We have good friends that live back in East Strousburg (in the Poconos of Pennsylvania) and they have been without power since yesterday, 14" of snow and the last email she got from the power company said power won't be back till the 7th!!

Judy, USMC
March 4th, 2018, 05:16 AM
Oh Judy, I had no idea until after we got home from shopping how far and wide spread this nasty storm was. Those pics are heartbreaking. Glad you are safe.

It appears it was inconvenient here in North Carolina. Downed trees, falling water levels and power outages. It's a nasty and deadly storm with the loss of life in Mass. Here's a link from CNN from last night: https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/03/us/weather-bomb-cyclone/index.html

Hope our quilters in that area are safe!

SuzanneOrleansOntario
March 4th, 2018, 09:17 AM
Good morning Blondie and that followed. I'm glad power is restored. DH and I have been watching the storm effects that have hits NC, MAssachussetts and and along the coast to Nova Scotia.
Yes, up north we are tough, but now that we are retired, we don't go out when there are crazy storms. We do seem to be getting more ice, but hasn't knocked out our power. Last time was the big power grid blackout that hit the eastern seaboard in 2004. But that was in summer, so other than not having AC, there was a lot of BBQs. We were lucky during the ice storm of 1998 that affected millions, we had power. I'm not certain how we would get heat as both fireplaces are gas.

I think if the power went out, I would cut fabric for new quilts.
Hope everyone stays warm.

Ginny B
March 4th, 2018, 10:47 AM
Woohoo! Ds#2 sent a message at 3:30 this morning. His power is back.