PDA

View Full Version : Good Saturday Morning!

JCY
March 3rd, 2018, 10:05 AM
Good Morning, Everyone ~ I have a busy day ahead, so I'll make a quick post. I hope you folks on the east coast who are affected by this Nor'easter are okay. And that big snow dump in CA in the Sierras. Such crazy weather! We had a very warm day yest. It got up to 75 deg. at our house! Sunny & nice! It's supposed to be warm again today, then cooler weather ahead.

Today is the annual show/sale of the Interfaith Quilters. I never buy, but I love to look at the quilts & take pics for ideas for both piecing & FMQ. It's a widely attended event. Proceeds from the money raised go to 2 local charities. After lunch, I have a much needed massage scheduled.

I had a productive afternoon yest. cutting fabric & piecing the Buckeye Beauty blocks. I discovered more scraps that were just big enough for the 3.5" squares. I have 2 block boards with pieces laid out all ready to stitch. I still haven't decided if I'm going to make this quilt 3 x 4 blocks or 4 x 5. It's going to be lap size.

Well, no more time now. I need to fix DH's breakfast & get on with my day.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
March 3rd, 2018, 10:31 AM
Good morning,
You are up early by my standards, but I understand that to get things done, you gotta move it.

Your event sounds lovely. I wish there were more winter events. Our quilt shows and sales seem to be all jam packed between June and October. So many at times, you can't make them all, especially if travel is involved.

We went to Michael's doctor yesterday and he prescribed Naproxen. He is so hesitant to take any medications. I take this when my shoulder and back pain become unbearable. Just a few days of it per month is good. Well he took it and the pain med they prescribed at ER the day before. I checked with pharmacist and they work well together. I think proof is in the pudding. He seems to have slept last night and still sleeping. Oh, he may complain that it made him groggy but all the better, as sleep is what his body needs to recover.

We had a light dusting of snow, so I will get it off the driveway. Then I will run errands and pick up my mom's laundry and do hers and ours. I will wash and wipe down furniture in family room, and start planning where to put the furniture. I am looking at a different layout, so I can accommodate the 12' quilting frame, and furniture for the cats to step up to look out the window. I have a plan and hope it will work. I will have to wait for help to move the furniture. No rush as the room is not used a lot.

I have also received the last tax receipt by email this week, so I will start pulling papers together. I know I will have to pay this year, as I noticed again that one place did not deduct taxes. Maybe the medical expenses will offset this.

If all goes well I hope to get some sewing done today. My head is just bursting with ideas.

Have a good day to everyone. I've been thinking of all the trials and challenges that everyone is facing, and I realize that quilters are very resilient and have special training to put all the pieces together.

Bubby
March 3rd, 2018, 10:42 AM
Good Morning Everyone, We are just about ready to leave to work at the apartments. Jeff worked until midnight so he slept in some this morning. We are usually there and working by this time. We will do well to be back home before dinner.

We had a lovely day yesterday but it's considerable cooler today.

Joy I saw your blocks and love that pattern. Enjoy your massage....you certainly deserve it.

Off to find Dottie and leave. Have a great day everyone.

Bubby
March 3rd, 2018, 10:43 AM
Good Morning Everyone, We are just about ready to leave to work at the apartments. Jeff worked until midnight so he slept in some this morning. We are usually there and working by this time. We will do well to be back home before dinner.

We had a lovely day yesterday but it's considerable cooler today.

Joy I saw your blocks and love that pattern. Enjoy your massage....you certainly deserve it.

Off to find Dottie and leave. Have a great day everyone.

grammaterry
March 3rd, 2018, 11:02 AM
I got up fairly early today. Got the fire going and took a nice long bath. I pieced , sandwiched and started quilting yesterday. I like to do these in assembly line fashion...piece 3 or 4, sandwich all of them, and start FMQ. Then binding. I got more of the projects that Granny Judy sent done so when I get these finished I'm going to work on getting one for me.
I told DH what an idea I had for the room we need to restore. The one where the floor joist has broken. We have so few closets in this house...2 to be exact...that I was thinking of putting in two 3x4 ft closets on either side of the large window and put in a window seat between them. He was sort of receptive to the idea. Maybe....
The tax people called yesterday (remember, my regular accountant passed on last week). THey originally had my appointment schedules for next Sunday (which I wasn't too happy with) but asked if I could come in today. I'll be glad to get it done. Corp taxes are due on the 15th of March so the 11th was really pushing it.
The sun is shining but it is bitterly cold with the wind out there. Could be worse....could be freezing rain or s....

KPH
March 3rd, 2018, 11:10 AM
Good Morning All,

It was a good day yesterday. I got into my sewing room, to sew even! I'm making the It's Hip to be Square quilt from Jordan's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30L0HWkGlco&t=57s

I was having a hard time wrapping my head around using a jelly roll instead of having 3 strips of each of 12 fabrics. Anyway, my discovery, which other's probably could see without thinking-

*** one jelly roll strip will make the long cuts for the outside squares
*** one jelly roll strip will make two of the middle rounds.
*** cut the small 2.5" starting squares out of the scraps.

You'll have a couple of extra blocks and a bunch of scraps you can cut into 2.5" squares. I'm thinking about making some corner stones for the borders with those.

I managed to get 12 blocks sewn together last night while Mike was at work. I also had my I'm such a dunce moment. The lighting last night was so bad at the table. I had the light over the 'den' area turned on. Ding dong here, forgot to turn on the light over the dining room table. Sigh, I was really getting worried about my eyes and decided to quit cutting for the night. After I put the last of the 12 blocks around 9:30 I came out of the sewing room to see the dining area light wasn't on. Head slap! I realized it was probably a good time to quit.

The power bill came in yesterday. It was amazing! - $16. 83. I couldn't believe with all of the cloudy weather we'd produced more energy than we used. JEA takes that amount off of our water and sewer bill. I'm so glad I insisted on getting the solar panels when we moved. I'm even happier that they're paid off now.

The waste management we had in NC sent a letter yesterday. My mind went to negative thoughts. I called and cancelled the service when we left the house. Told them to come pick up the cans. I just couldn't imagine why they'd be contacting us now. I guess they were clearing the books. It was a refund! lol, and as usual, they didn't spell my name right. The bank deposited it anyway. Yippee, it was enough to make up for the dinner we had out the night before!

First hospital bill came for Howard. I must admit, the grand total and what the insurance paid was pretty darned close. The lawyer says I don't have to pay it since it was made out to Howard. It just doesn't feel right not paying it. They did try to help him. I have to go back to sign my will and stuff next week. I'll ask the lawyer about that again. Somewhere in my brain, it's equating it to stealing. I guess it's just the way I was raised.

Best get busy, Mike's going to have a long day today. He goes in at 2, and will be there until 10+. Last night he didn't get back until after half past 11. He won't leave until all of the "kids" are picked up. If their rides are running really late, he offers to take them home. Hes still a good Scout.

Prayers for those in need for healing touches, strength and understanding. Prayers for all of our many blessings.

bhaggerty
March 3rd, 2018, 12:17 PM
Good Morning all!
I lurk but I do not always post on this daily thread!
Off work today, but my youngest (13 yr old) has the flu! :( But he is at least feeling better today!
My DH and my oldest son are at a 2 day fishing tournament at Lake Sam Rayburn.
And, my 15 yr old daughter is off volleyball this weekend! So , I will actually get some time to myself with weekend!

I finished quilting my New York Beauty quilt (attempted feathers), and have 3 other quilt tops I need to quilt (alter ego, one block wonder #2, and a panel quilt (Patternista) which looks like Spiro-graphs.

Today I get to attend the customer appreciation sale at Texas Quilt Machines (aka Quilt Frog) where I bought my longarm. There will be free goodie bags, demos and door prizes! So excited to get to go to this! My daughter was supposed to have a volleyball tournament but the coach decided cancel this one! Yay for me!!

I was at another local quilt shop (GRS Creations) in Old Town Spring, TX on Wednesday looking for a specific out of print fabric from Kate Spain from 2006. No luck on the internet but I have had luck there in the past. the lady helping me took me out back to a separate building and they had loads of different boxes. They had 8 yards of what I needed ( I only needed 1-2)! and they had most all of the collection! Right next to the boxes of Kate Spain Daydreamer, was 2 boxes of Little Black Dress bolts! I was in shock and awe!! If any of you are in need of out of print or older fabric lines, check them out! if not online, call them and ask!
also, they had the cat panels (from the Jordan Fabric tutorial ) in black on white AND white on black there in stock.

JCY I love the Buckeye Beauty and can't wait to see yours!
KPH - that quilt is also on my to do list! will love to see it in another color way

CraftyJnet
March 3rd, 2018, 02:22 PM
Good morning! Today my dd is moving out to her new place in the city. She has always wanted to live in San Francisco so I am glad for her to finally live her dream. I will miss her terribly.

Star lover
March 3rd, 2018, 02:26 PM
Good morning! Today my dd is moving out to her new place in the city. She has always wanted to live in San Francisco so I am glad for her to finally live her dream. I will miss her terribly.

Guess we get to go through that. I'm thankful mine are all fairly close by. We do t visit maybe S often as we should, it we do get together on a regular basis. Hugs......it does get better.....

MissMay
March 3rd, 2018, 04:48 PM
Good Afternoon, I really caught up with my sleep today. Thought we would be having freezing rain and snow today but it's clear and the sun is shinny, makes me feel sort og guilty sleeping the morning away but I feel good so that's OK.

Yesterday I finally made the biscotti that was supposed to be a Christmas treat for a good friend of mine. Since I didn't make them at Christmas I thought I'd send her some in Feb. for her BDay. Well that didn't happen either so they'll be for St. Patrick's Day instead. DS#2 and DIL should be over this weekend and they will get a few and the rest are for DH & I. Enjoying a few with my coffee so son and wife better hurry and get here before they all are gone.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
March 4th, 2018, 09:46 AM
Good Morning All,

It was a good day yesterday. I got into my sewing room, to sew even! I'm making the It's Hip to be Square quilt from Jordan's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30L0HWkGlco&t=57s

I was having a hard time wrapping my head around using a jelly roll instead of having 3 strips of each of 12 fabrics. Anyway, my discovery, which other's probably could see without thinking-

*** one jelly roll strip will make the long cuts for the outside squares
*** one jelly roll strip will make two of the middle rounds.
*** cut the small 2.5" starting squares out of the scraps.

You'll have a couple of extra blocks and a bunch of scraps you can cut into 2.5" squares. I'm thinking about making some corner stones for the borders with those.

I managed to get 12 blocks sewn together last night while Mike was at work. I also had my I'm such a dunce moment. The lighting last night was so bad at the table. I had the light over the 'den' area turned on. Ding dong here, forgot to turn on the light over the dining room table. Sigh, I was really getting worried about my eyes and decided to quit cutting for the night. After I put the last of the 12 blocks around 9:30 I came out of the sewing room to see the dining area light wasn't on. Head slap! I realized it was probably a good time to quit.

The power bill came in yesterday. It was amazing! - $16. 83. I couldn't believe with all of the cloudy weather we'd produced more energy than we used. JEA takes that amount off of our water and sewer bill. I'm so glad I insisted on getting the solar panels when we moved. I'm even happier that they're paid off now.

The waste management we had in NC sent a letter yesterday. My mind went to negative thoughts. I called and cancelled the service when we left the house. Told them to come pick up the cans. I just couldn't imagine why they'd be contacting us now. I guess they were clearing the books. It was a refund! lol, and as usual, they didn't spell my name right. The bank deposited it anyway. Yippee, it was enough to make up for the dinner we had out the night before!

First hospital bill came for Howard. I must admit, the grand total and what the insurance paid was pretty darned close. The lawyer says I don't have to pay it since it was made out to Howard. It just doesn't feel right not paying it. They did try to help him. I have to go back to sign my will and stuff next week. I'll ask the lawyer about that again. Somewhere in my brain, it's equating it to stealing. I guess it's just the way I was raised.

Best get busy, Mike's going to have a long day today. He goes in at 2, and will be there until 10+. Last night he didn't get back until after half past 11. He won't leave until all of the "kids" are picked up. If their rides are running really late, he offers to take them home. Hes still a good Scout.

Prayers for those in need for healing touches, strength and understanding. Prayers for all of our many blessings.

Thank you for the tip on cutting the quilt. I hate to waste or come out short, especially since I would use jelly roll instead of yardage. I have had those moments, and this is when I say, quit for the day.

I don't know about FL laws, but here, the executor must pay all the bills and any debts of the deceased, which includes any taxes owed, before distributing the estate. I am like you, I would feel bad not to pay the bill. Because, as we all know, we may need their services one day.

I would love to have a hydro Bill loke yours. Years ago, there was a big push for hydro company to buy excess power from solar angels, then this was stopped. The investment for us would have been about $70k. I would still like to go off the grid, but now people are having to pay hydro company tax for power you produce rip off. Then again, our hydro bill averages $260-290 per month. Crazy.

KPH
March 4th, 2018, 10:01 AM
I don't know about FL laws, but here, the executor must pay all the bills and any debts of the deceased, which includes any taxes owed, before distributing the estate. I am like you, I would feel bad not to pay the bill. Because, as we all know, we may need their services one day.

The first trip in to the lawyer, I had what was in the savings, and checking accounts on the day Howard passed. The only property DH 'owned' in his name only was the truck. According to him- the house was in both names- it's mine, I get to keep one truck and the second had no value. DH only had 2 credit cards in his name alone. So- with what was in the accounts- I had enough to pay for his funeral, and there was nothing left (actually less than nothing left). No estate. Which technically, is true. He advised me NOT to pay any of the expenses out of the insurance, that was not Howard's money, it is mine.

I told both boys, if it had to happen, I was glad it happened when it did. It sounds selfish, but he passed after his last paycheck of the month and before my paycheck came in. All the January bills had already been paid and I found out that I could pay all the other bills on my paycheck in February.

I talked to Jim about it yesterday. I'm still not comfortable not paying his medical bills. I just feels like I'm stealing. I probably will pay them out of my yearly check from Mom's IRA which comes in this month.