PDA

View Full Version : so annoying....

Tracie T
March 1st, 2018, 07:33 PM
Has anyone ever had a business accidentally put your cell phone number in for their contact information? Over the past week, I've had about 3 messages from people needing their furnace cleaned. I actually answered one call and the lady said she got the number from an ad in the paper. Sure enough, it was my cell number. I looked up the business and found their office number and left a message asking them to please take my cell number out of their ad.

Ok, thanks for listening. Have a good evening!

MRoy
March 1st, 2018, 07:42 PM
Oh, good grief! I hope this gets fixed quickly for you.

grammaterry
March 1st, 2018, 07:52 PM
It could be worse. One time we had an 800 number that was one diget of from a limo service in NYC. We would get calls at 3am. We finally just started telling them that the limo was on the way and just sit tight. lol

JCY
March 1st, 2018, 08:00 PM
We used to get calls for a dentist; their no. was just one off ours. I hope your problem gets rectified soon. How frustrating.

KarenC
March 1st, 2018, 08:04 PM
frustrating for sure. Hope they clear it up soon, now that they know.

Caroline T.
March 1st, 2018, 08:26 PM
At my office (accounting firm), I receive faxes that are intended for a local physician. Most of these faxes are from pharmacies, some are from insurance agencies, other physicians, diagnostic services (i.e. MRIs), and some are even from Psychiatrists. What they all have in common is the fax will include the Patient's name, address, date of birth, SS#, phone, along with other personal medical information.

Hhhmmm can you say HIPPA LAW VIOLATION?

I've contacted the physician's office on a number of occasions, and each time we receive one of those faxes in error, I re-send it back to the original sender with a note that they have the wrong #. There was one sender that was so persistent that he had the right number, I had to threaten him with contacting the patient (all his info was on the fax) so HE could sue the sender.

LLLinda
March 1st, 2018, 08:29 PM
Oh yes. My phone prefix is one # different than Best Buy. When they have a sale we used to get flooded with calls. Finally after 5 or so years it is tapering off. I say hello or the answering machine picks up and people aren't even listening. They start right off either ordering or complaining. So far when we answer we give them the correct number but it sure wears thin at times.

JulieC
March 1st, 2018, 08:48 PM
Growing up, our phone number was one digit off from a local podiatrist. We would get tons of calls for appointments! Mom still has the same phone number, but the doctor has moved away.

At least they're not collection calls. A few years ago (during the recession), I had to change my phone number twice because I was getting tons of collection calls for the people who had the numbers before me. Collection agents never believe you when you tell them they have the wrong number!

Tracie T
March 1st, 2018, 09:11 PM
Growing up, our phone number was one digit off from a local podiatrist. We would get tons of calls for appointments! Mom still has the same phone number, but the doctor has moved away.

At least they're not collection calls. A few years ago (during the recession), I had to change my phone number twice because I was getting tons of collection calls for the people who had the numbers before me. Collection agents never believe you when you tell them they have the wrong number!

Actually, now that you mention collection agency, my mom used to get calls all the time from some guy that was in jail. She would tell them he doesn't live here. I swear they thought she was hiding him in her closet or something cuz they wouldn't give up!

Tracie T
March 1st, 2018, 09:13 PM
It could be worse. One time we had an 800 number that was one diget of from a limo service in NYC. We would get calls at 3am. We finally just started telling them that the limo was on the way and just sit tight. lol

I love that response! Hubby thinks if they don't correct, I should just start telling people we're out of business.

Jean Sewing Machine
March 1st, 2018, 09:14 PM
I've been one number off of Walmart, a local dentist, and back in the 60's, our number was recycled from a bootlegger! Those were interesting! ( we lived in Oklahoma that until several years before that was a dry state.)

Cokie
March 1st, 2018, 09:17 PM
When we moved into our house, our phone number was similar to the number for a local school. Different prefix but same last four digits. I used to get phone calls early in the morning from parents wanting to report their kids as absent. Most of them would apologize when I told them they had the wrong number, but one lady kept arguing with me about needing to report her child off because he was sick! I finally told her I was sorry I that her child was sick, but I couldn't help her! She finally hung up and hopefully called the right number. It happened so frequently that we called the phone company and explained the problem, and they agreed to change our phone number at no cost.

MaryD
March 1st, 2018, 09:18 PM
A massage parlour at 283 Elgar Road advertised their services in the local paper and it appeared as 382 Elgar Road, which was our home address. For weeks we had strange men turning up at our place hoping for a massage (or more?)

My kids were still at home then and I had a house full of foster kids as well. The bit that really annoyed me though was that they didn't bother coming up the path - they took short cuts over our newly establishing garden

JulieC
March 1st, 2018, 09:28 PM
Actually, now that you mention collection agency, my mom used to get calls all the time from some guy that was in jail. She would tell them he doesn't live here. I swear they thought she was hiding him in her closet or something cuz they wouldn't give up!

OMG, I had something similar at my old house. My phone number used to belong to an inmate's mother, and I would get calls from the jail. He got out and a friend of his left a message on my answering machine to let her know. I had to pay for a block on the number so he couldn't charge calls to it from the jail.

Vonnie
March 1st, 2018, 09:43 PM
When we lived in Florida, our number was one digit different then the local bar/club. Our neighbor had the same last name as us (no relation) and the husband had the same first initial as my husband. Can you say confusion!

I used to work in the same building as my husband. All day long I was waiting for a fax. That night at the dinner table, I noticed a sheet of paper on the table. I started reading it out loud (it was upside down) and realized it was my fax! They had put it in my husbands office box. DH saw it and realized it was not for him but for me!

Judy, USMC
March 1st, 2018, 09:48 PM
Anyone here have the last name SIMPSON?
How about those kids that would call in the middle of the night and ask to talk to Bart ... they thought they were so funny.

Tracie T
March 1st, 2018, 10:39 PM
OMG.....you are all just cracking me up. I'm sure it wasn't funny for you while it was happening though!

Tracie T
March 1st, 2018, 10:40 PM
A massage parlour at 283 Elgar Road advertised their services in the local paper and it appeared as 382 Elgar Road, which was our home address. For weeks we had strange men turning up at our place hoping for a massage (or more?)

My kids were still at home then and I had a house full of foster kids as well. The bit that really annoyed me though was that they didn't bother coming up the path - they took short cuts over our newly establishing garden

Geez! That sounded rather dangerous!

Astatoo
March 1st, 2018, 10:47 PM
A few years back-about 40 now-I was in a college dorm as a freshman and I would get called to the phone-we shared one for each floor-and most often it was some guy asking for a "date" and many times asking what I charged for certain procedures. The other Beth on our floor was the local hooker!

bubba
March 2nd, 2018, 02:39 AM
The Bon Marche ticket office (back in the day) had the number 475 7292....ours was 475 7291. People wanting to buy tickets would call their number and when they could not get thru, tried calling 7291 instead, thinking they would reach them on a different line. Well, back in 1982, long before caller ID and on my day off, they phone had to have run at least 50 times. Every caller was looking for tickets for a concert coming to town. I called the ticket office and pled with with them to help me and got nowhere. After about the 51st call, I started telling people that the group had booked another show and they just got the tickets in and you needed to buy them in person at the ticket office. Guess who changed their number then! I giggled over that a long time.

My dads number was one off from a plumber and he would get calls all the time! One lady was hysterical about her leaking hot water heater and would not listen to reason as my dad tried to explain to her he was not a plumber and she had the wrong number. She just kept going on and on. Finally he told her he would tell her how to fix the hot water heater and it would cost her nothing......

She promptly hung up when he told her to turn the hot water heater upside down!!

Star lover
March 2nd, 2018, 08:01 AM
Wow, you're all cracking me up...although not funny when it's happening. We had people,calling for all kinds of pets and pet info. Our number was 1 number off from a local pet shop. People would insist we had a certain kind of animal and would get mad when we'd tell them we weren't a pet shop. We finally got caller I'd and stopped answering. The pet shop recently went out of business, whew.

Our number was also close to a gaming store. We'd get calls all the time from kids, asking about games, etc. one time a young boy called, maybe 10. My son answered and the kid was belligerent and mean when my son kept telling him he had the wrong number. The kid was trying to sell a game to the store. Finally my son, said, yup, we'll take it, come on down.......we had to laugh...

Years ago I would get a phone call from the same guy (he called enough I recognized his voice). Each time he'd ask for a woman....a different name each time. I figured out he was trying to find out my name......so I got a whistle. A big one. He called, asked for ? And I blew. He never called again!

SuzanneOrleansOntario
March 2nd, 2018, 10:48 AM
Oh that is not fun.
We were two numbers switch for the local bus information line for complaints. This was before caller display, so most of the time, we didn't answer the phone.

Then we moved areas and all was good, until a new pizza chain had very similar number from ours. We got fed up with pizza orders, so my son would answer and take their order. They had a 30 minutes guarantee or it's free policy. When the pizza didn't arrive, they would call back and we would say they should check the number. We also had mean fun, and would say that the fridges had been off, but there was no charge for meat the calls eventually stopped and the business closed. I don't think it was our mean-spirited responses, their pizza really wasn't that good. The crust tasted like cardboard.
Good news, my son did get a job in high school at a pizza place near our home. He had experience taking orders. Hehe

KPH
March 2nd, 2018, 11:11 AM
I made the mistake of calling a parent one time from my cell phone. All TWO of the phone lines were in use. Anyway, I didn't have the block your number turned on. That parent proceeded to call me anytime of the night for the most stupid things. "X left her sweater on the bus, would you go and make sure she gets it tomorrow."- at 11:00 at night!

The next evening, I went to the store and relayed what was happening. They gave me a new number, and showed me how to block my number from going out. I never, ever called a parent from my personal phone again.

The child came in a few weeks later, her momma was mad because she couldn't call me anymore and she wanted my new number. I told the little girl, I changed my number because her mother abused the privilege of having my number and if she wanted to call me, to call the school office, they would happily take a message.

Some people!

TMP
March 2nd, 2018, 11:49 AM
For several years a man with a grumpy voice has called my cell asking for Whitney. When you tell him he has the wrong number, he says well maybe you can help me. Its a selling scam. I blocked him every time he would call. He would just call from another number. I finally had enough of it and told him Whiney was dead. He didn't say a thing and hung up. Couple days later from another number he called and ask for Joe. I said hang on Joe isn't here but Whitney is. He has never called back.

Carolnnc
March 2nd, 2018, 05:44 PM
My sis & her hubby had this message on their home machine: If you are trying to reach the Social Security office please hang up & dial the correct number which is: 919- ***-***.

MSN
March 3rd, 2018, 05:05 AM
My dads number was one off from a plumber and he would get calls all the time! One lady was hysterical about her leaking hot water heater and would not listen to reason as my dad tried to explain to her he was not a plumber and she had the wrong number. She just kept going on and on. Finally he told her he would tell her how to fix the hot water heater and it would cost her nothing......

She promptly hung up when he told her to turn the hot water heater upside down!!

Pat, I can guess from whom you got your sense of humor!