PDA

View Full Version : Thursday Trivia: March

Star lover
March 1st, 2018, 08:07 AM
You might have heard that March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb ... except in Bulgaria, where March comes in like a grumpy old lady.

Her name is Baba Marta (Grandma March) and her mood changes as unpredictably as March weather on its way to spring. In Bulgaria, March 1 is a folk holiday celebrated in her honor.

To keep Baba Marta smiling and the sun shining people wear bracelets and trinkets made from red and white yarn, traditionally until they see the first stork of the season or the first buds on the trees and they're sure spring has come.

In folklore, Baba Marta is presented as a sister or a wife of the great long-horned beetle (January) and the small long-horned beetle (February). She is always dissatisfied with her husband as they are either drunk on wine or are otherwise harmful. The old woman (bride) becomes angry, hence the weather breaks.

According to another widespread story, an old shepherd decided to rise her flocks up in the mountains during the last days of March, thinking that Baba Marta would bestow good weather on her because she was as old as Marta. Baba Marta became infuriated by being considered old, and asked her younger brother (April) to lend her a few days. April granted her wish and these days are called "borrowed days", "zaemnitsi", or "few days" in the Bulgarian folk tradition. Marta let out the strong snows and blizzards that froze the shepherd and her flocks in the mountains.

Guess we all get to find out if Baba Marta is happy .......or not!
Where I'm at, we're to get 3-7" of snow later today! Yikes! Baba Marta must be mad......here! And according to some, when March comes in like a lion, it goes out like a lamb......I'm counting.....hoping that's true!

Monique
March 1st, 2018, 08:49 AM
It is coming in like a lamb here!!

Blondie
March 1st, 2018, 09:57 AM
love trivia, love cultural folk lore. This is a win win for me. thanks for this! Old Baba sounds like too many menopausal women I have known in my life. No similarity to me, though. I just breezed through that stage, Just count my hubby's gray hair! hahaha

Nwmnteacher
March 1st, 2018, 11:33 AM
The word for "grandma" in Japanese is also Baba. My son is married to a wonderful gal from Okinawa, and they call me Baba.

Jeanne

sew-what2015
March 1st, 2018, 01:19 PM
Great bit of trivia...love it.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
March 1st, 2018, 04:10 PM
I hope Baba behaves. So far today, it's sunny and warmer. It's going to take a few weeks of above zero to melt the 4-5 feet of snow on the lawns.
Then again it is a full moon today, so anything is possible. A crazy menopausal woman could be on the loose.