PDA

View Full Version : Cloning pets????

Carlie Wolf
February 28th, 2018, 12:18 PM
I read an article this morning that was talking about very rich people cloning their deceased pets. You know.....that creeped me out. All I could think of was Stephen King's Pet Semetery book from years ago. I know I couldn't do that, I'd rather meet him at the Rainbow Bridge.

It got me thinking, if you could clone one of your beloved deceased pets would you do it?

nativetexan
February 28th, 2018, 12:24 PM
No, I don' t think so. even my lovely Loki I lost when he was 17 yrs old. I think it would be creepy. maybe my great great grandchildren would think this option great!

Star lover
February 28th, 2018, 12:26 PM
Nope.....I'm happy with the memories.....just WAY to creepy!

auntstuff
February 28th, 2018, 12:33 PM
People who clone animals expect the clone to have the same personality as the original, and that is seldom true. They are genetically alike but personality is molded more by circumstance and reaction.

jjkaiser
February 28th, 2018, 12:42 PM
Oh that is a tough question. My dog died last year and after having many many dogs before that I can honestly say he was the best, and the perfect dog for me, so if money was no object I might actually be tempted to do it. But part of me also thinks the whole idea is kind of weird, in the be careful what you wish for category.

Hulamoon
February 28th, 2018, 12:49 PM
No I wouldn't. I kind of understand it for live stock and endangered species though.

bhaggerty
February 28th, 2018, 01:06 PM
People who clone animals expect the clone to have the same personality as the original, and that is seldom true. They are genetically alike but personality is molded more by circumstance and reaction.

Agreed!

It is a slippery slope. Even though they are genetically alike, they are not the same! And so many things can go wrong!
Even though the technology is there, does not mean we should play God.

laura44
February 28th, 2018, 01:11 PM
No, I wouldn't. I understand about endangered species though.

quiltingaway
February 28th, 2018, 01:13 PM
Sometimes the thought crosses my mind because our pets just don't live long enough. But no I wouldn't actually ever do it. I'll wait for the Bridge and see which one of our girls ends up being the "queen" on the other side :)

sew-what2015
February 28th, 2018, 01:15 PM
No, but I do agree with nativetexan; for generations of the future, cloning favorite pets would likely be commonplace.
I also agree with what auntstuff said. I think that we inherit certain lots of tendencies for good and bad things and that a combination of our environment, circumstances and other inherent and outside factors can trigger certain tendencies to 'click on'.

Caroline T.
February 28th, 2018, 01:26 PM
If I were to have cloned Maggie then assuming the clone was also female, I would have to name the clone: "Maggie Version Two Point Oh".

Naw...to much of a mouth full!

tsladaritz
February 28th, 2018, 02:19 PM
Another problem I never see mentioned is what about all the pets waiting to be adopted? If everyone started cloning not only would they be disappointed by expectations of an exact replica, they are cheating themselves out of knowing another great pet down the road. Nope, to slippery a slope.
Same goes for people. someday they will openly try that and want to convince us all our great minds who invented things, created masterpieces, etc. should be cloned so it can continue. But that is too much like trying to play God.

KPH
February 28th, 2018, 02:22 PM
I loved my fur babies dearly. I don't think I would want to clone either of them.

The cost of cloning 'pets' was mentioned yesterday in reference to Barbara Streisand cloning her dog- was over $100K. To me, that's just nuts. How much good could have been done with that money, but I don't have to worry about having that kind of cash to just throw away on a pooch!

Carolnnc
February 28th, 2018, 02:42 PM
We had our dear Lily for 17 years & it took us to our knees when she passed. She was a Rat Terrier & a holy terror:-) She loved killing DH's chickens & hated a bath. As much as I loved her I wouldn't clone her, it just wouldn't be the same. I would get another one that looked like her though.
It has taken 4 years to decide to get another dog. We was looking for another Rat Terrier but when we saw Ryker it was love at first sight. He is an adorable & smart Doberman & we will love him dearly but there will never be another dog that has our hearts like Lily did.
I agree that cloning seems a little creepy.

bakermom
February 28th, 2018, 03:20 PM
No. just no. We just lost what I would call the near-perfect dog ever. still wouldn't clone her.

bubba
February 28th, 2018, 03:31 PM
I'd rather Yoda live forever.....

LLLinda
February 28th, 2018, 03:51 PM
I would be worried that some recessive gene would rear its head next time around and maybe not a good one. No, I want to love each dog for itself, not for who we might wish it was.

Vonnie
February 28th, 2018, 04:59 PM
There has been a couple of horror movies out about clones. And then there was the funny one staring Michael Keaton. I think it was called Multiplicity! The horror one that I remember that gave me chills was where they cloned Hitler. Several times. They even tried to recreate his environment. I think it was called The Boys from Brazil.

I think all you would have to do is look at identical twins. They look identical but have different personalities. They even have different finger prints. Now how close to cloning can you get than one egg dividing into two and becoming living breathing humans who have their own souls.

Hulamoon
February 28th, 2018, 05:02 PM
There has been a couple of horror movies out about clones. And then there was the funny one staring Michael Keaton. I think it was called Multiplicity! The horror one that I remember that gave me chills was where they cloned Hitler. Several times. They even tried to recreate his environment. I think it was called The Boys from Brazil.

I think all you would have to do is look at identical twins. They look identical but have different personalities. They even have different finger prints. Now how close to cloning can you get than one egg dividing into two and becoming living breathing humans who have their own souls.
I watched a story recently about mirror twins. That was a strange one.

Caroline T.
February 28th, 2018, 05:25 PM
I loved my fur babies dearly. I don't think I would want to clone either of them.

The cost of cloning 'pets' was mentioned yesterday in reference to Barbara Streisand cloning her dog- was over $100K. To me, that's just nuts. How much good could have been done with that money, but I don't have to worry about having that kind of cash to just throw away on a pooch!

And she did it not once, but twice....

What surprised me about that article, was for the first time ever, I had to agree with PETA (I never thought I would be able to say that), their comment:

"“We all want our beloved dogs to live forever, but while it may sound like a good idea, cloning doesn’t achieve that – instead, it creates a new and different dog who has only the physical characteristics of the original,” she explained. “Animals’ personalities, quirks and very ‘essence’ simply cannot be replicated, and when you consider that millions of wonderful adoptable dogs are languishing in animal shelters every year or dying in terrifying ways when abandoned, you realize that cloning adds to the homeless-animal population crisis.

"And because cloning has a high failure rate, many dogs are caged and tormented for every birth that actually occurs – so that’s not fair to them, despite the best intentions...."

Hulamoon
February 28th, 2018, 06:15 PM
I agree on adopting first, but I don't think that people should be harassed into doing that. Obama wanted a certain breed and he was harassed. That's not fair for his family. I wanted a Golden Retriever, so we bought one, sue me. I think more education is needed for spaying and neutering . You wouldn't believe how many stray cats are on my property.

Carlie Wolf
February 28th, 2018, 06:21 PM
Other than creepy I think when we get that special pet it's really their personality that we fall in love with. The physical attributes may be nice or pretty but in reality what makes them so special is their personalities. I can only see it as being a very expensive disappointment.

Vonnie I watched Boys from Brazil a few times. Thought it was such an interesting movie. I think Gregory Peck was in it? And Lori do you remember the name of the movie you watched about mirror twins? I'd like to see if I can find it to watch.

Carlie Wolf
February 28th, 2018, 06:22 PM
Caroline I've been meaning to ask how Ryker was doing. Have you made any headway with his chewing yet!

Tracie T
February 28th, 2018, 07:03 PM
No, I wouldn't be comfortable with that. I wouldn't do it.

bakermom
February 28th, 2018, 08:48 PM
I agree on adopting first, but I don't think that people should be harassed into doing that. Obama wanted a certain breed and he was harassed. That's not fair for his family. I wanted a Golden Retriever, so we bought one, sue me. I think more education is needed for spaying and neutering . You wouldn't believe how many stray cats are on my property.

Lorie I agree. when we got our last dog I got fed up with all the rules, regulations "visits" most local rescues required. All I wanted was a Lab, some disagreed with my choice. I bought a Lab in the end. Now that she's gone I have looked to adopt again and all I'm finding are pit/pitmixes. NO, not happening. I have our vet and a few friends with connections on the lookout for a Lab needing a home. I realize some will swear by their PBs but not in my house. Yes I am prejudiced against them

Vonnie
February 28th, 2018, 09:09 PM

The cats that come into my yard love to hunt. By looking at them you can tell they are pets. There was one that decided to follow a ground hog through the hole under my fence. A few days later some kids started asking around about their missing cat - I did not tell them that I saw it following a ground hog. I have heard that groundhogs can be very vicious. I know a lot of people get mad at me when I say that they need to keep their cats indoors. But bad things happen to pets that wonder around the neighborhood.

TMP
February 28th, 2018, 09:41 PM
I think cloning a pet is just creepy. I guess its her money that she earned and she has a right to do with it whatever she wants.

Bakermom, I have a lab that will be a year old next month. I have grown to love her. No, I would not want a clone of her. I have never seen a dog shed like this . I can live with the shedding, but its the constant chewing that is driving me insane. She has tons of chew toys but she had rather eat wood (sticks and furniture) or carry rocks around in her mouth.

Carolnnc
February 28th, 2018, 09:51 PM
Caroline I've been meaning to ask how Ryker was doing. Have you made any headway with his chewing yet!

He's still chewing like a fiend. He hit 3 months old in the past few days so I figure we'll be dealing with the chewing for a while longer. I tried giving him a frozen cloth & he wasn't interested at all so I bought a couple of Chilly Bones but he's only slightly interested in them. I also got a couple of Bully Sticks & a deer antler & he loves those. He's trying his best to destroy a couple of stuffed toys that have squeakers. I had to take his bed away from him as he was chewing it to pieces. I ordered a bed that is called a Cujo Cot & it will come tomorrow. They guarantee it's chew proof. I had forgotten how labor intensive it is to train a puppy!

Midge
February 28th, 2018, 09:57 PM
I read a piece the other day about Barbra Streisand. She had a very beloved dog cloned. Can't remember the breed, it was a very unusual one. She was quoted in the article as saying that the personality of the new dog was not the same as her exceptional dog, but she still loves the young dog. I still miss my dear Bo (English Springer Spaniel) and my much adored Gandalf (white long hair cat). I hope they are waiting for me to cross the bridge to them. But I wouldn't try cloning. I feel too strongly that there are many deserving animals who need homes now, so it's kind of irresponsible to think you are all that and should have an animal cloned for your pleasure. It's narcissistic in a way.

bakermom
February 28th, 2018, 09:57 PM
I think cloning a pet is just creepy. I guess its her money that she earned and she has a right to do with it whatever she wants.

Bakermom, I have a lab that will be a year old next month. I have grown to love her. No, I would not want a clone of her. I have never seen a dog shed like this . I can live with the shedding, but its the constant chewing that is driving me insane. She has tons of chew toys but she had rather eat wood (sticks and furniture) or carry rocks around in her mouth.

Oh, yeah the downside of labs, endless shedding! One Lab we had was bad about chewing-the kids learned fast to keep valuables up, and yes she had a favorite rock she carried around. This last one, though, never have I seen a more trustworthy dog when it came to chewing. not a destructive bone in her body

Caroline T.
February 28th, 2018, 10:59 PM
Lorie I agree. when we got our last dog I got fed up with all the rules, regulations "visits" most local rescues required. All I wanted was a Lab, some disagreed with my choice. I bought a Lab in the end. Now that she's gone I have looked to adopt again and all I'm finding are pit/pitmixes. NO, not happening. I have our vet and a few friends with connections on the lookout for a Lab needing a home. I realize some will swear by their PBs but not in my house. Yes I am prejudiced against them

I personally love pitties, but to be 100% honest, I too have my own dog prejudices with some other breeds, so while I might think you're crazy for not liking pitties, that's Ok, we can agree to disagree. After all, we're all a little "crazy" about something :)

Hulamoon
February 28th, 2018, 11:13 PM
I like Pitbulls. My dd had a mix here for 5 yrs or so, sweet as can be. Now our Jack Russel would never be breed I would get again. Talk about crazy. He mellowed with age, but that took awhile. I grew up with a few poodles.My aunt her brother and my dad all had one. Everyone was sweet, calm and trainable. They were all small breed, not the standard. That's too much grooming for me!

Vonnie
February 28th, 2018, 11:20 PM
I love dogs, doesn't matter if they are pedigreed or a Heinz 57. I have had both.

About shedding, our last dog was half black lab and half border collie. Talk about shedding! But, those ugly yellow rubber gloves that you can buy for protecting your hands while cleaning, they are great for removing pet hair from cloth furniture. Just put the gloves on and smooth them over the furniture - gathers the fur right up.

Also, use a large squeegee to rake your carpet and it grabs the fur.

Angelia
February 28th, 2018, 11:51 PM
I love my boys (polydactyl, mixed-breed cats), but, no; I don't want clones. When my boys are gone, I will look for polydactyl rescues. Just thinking about their being gone makes me sad far too sad, though.

Angelia
February 28th, 2018, 11:55 PM

The Obama family needed a pet that didn't shed a lot--allergies. There are exceptions to every great, altruistic idea. Better, I think, to have a pet who doesn't aggravate allergies than to have to do without any pet at all.

tamsterg7
March 1st, 2018, 02:34 AM
It is weird, but in a fantasy world (where it wasn't considered weird), and if the personality was the same - I would do it in a heartbeat for the 2 best ones I have ever had, my Old English sheepdog and my sweet Wheaton.

Blondie
March 1st, 2018, 09:44 AM
I read an article this morning that was talking about very rich people cloning their deceased pets. You know.....that creeped me out. All I could think of was Stephen King's Pet Semetery book from years ago. I know I couldn't do that, I'd rather meet him at the Rainbow Bridge.

It got me thinking, if you could clone one of your beloved deceased pets would you do it?

You know, I just don't think I could go there. I am in total agreement - makes me think of Pet Semetary. There are some pets that I have never gotten over missing - I even switched from sewing in my basement "studio" partly because I missed my Dinah kitty (and partly because I kept missing the last few steps, ouch!) to sound really off and odd - sometimes I think I feel them around me. That is about as close to cloning as I want to get. besides! think of all the puppies and kitties that need us! hugs !!

Carlie Wolf
March 1st, 2018, 10:38 AM
Vonnie, I've used dog slicker brushes to get up some of the embedded dog hair in carpets. That works pretty well too.

On the adoption vs purebred issue. I think it's up to the individual and people shouldn't feel guilty for whichever decision they choose for their own reasons. Thing I currently don't like about purebreds these days is that you almost have to sign away your first born child with the restrictions they try to place on you when you purchase them. Then on the other hand our rescue organizations seem to have gotten to the point where a person seems to need a background check that matches the Yellow Brick Road and many times it discriminates against people who have smaller bank accounts.

At first I was thinking that after Carlie passes I'll probably do foster care with the shelter I use to volunteer at, at least at first. It would help me get through the grieving process. Also I get a bit apprehensive when I don't have a dog with me. You know....people don't realize you talk to yourself when you have a dog LOL. But I recently found a site that looks very interesting and I thought Wow what a nice idea and thing to do! It's Dogs on Deployment and you take care of a soldiers dog while he/she goes overseas. That way they don't have to give away their beloved pet. They do cats too and other pets. It's at : https://www.dogsondeployment.org

Hulamoon
March 1st, 2018, 11:01 AM
At first I was thinking that after Carlie passes I'll probably do foster care with the shelter I use to volunteer at, at least at first. It would help me get through the grieving process. Also I get a bit apprehensive when I don't have a dog with me. You know....people don't realize you talk to yourself when you have a dog LOL. But I recently found a site that looks very interesting and I thought Wow what a nice idea and thing to do! It's Dogs on Deployment and you take care of a soldiers dog while he/she goes overseas. That way they don't have to give away their beloved pet. They do cats too and other pets. It's at : https://www.dogsondeployment.org

What a great organization! I put my zip code in and all the dogs were on the mainland. No one is going to ship their dog to Hawaii.

quiltingaway
March 1st, 2018, 12:43 PM
It is weird, but in a fantasy world (where it wasn't considered weird), and if the personality was the same - I would do it in a heartbeat for the 2 best ones I have ever had, my Old English sheepdog and my sweet Wheaton.

You gotta love a Wheaton!! I've had and loved 3.

quiltingaway
March 1st, 2018, 12:54 PM

It seems like this struck a chord with a few people. It did with me. I totally agree that if people want a certain breed they should be able get a purebred. I would add to buy from a reputable breeder though and not a puppy mill. There are also many breed clubs that have a rescue arm so you can go the rescue route and still get a purebred. And if people want to adopt a dog from the local animal shelter that is fine too. It's all about the love of the animal and the commitment to care for them through their lifetime.

auntstuff
March 1st, 2018, 02:18 PM
Then there's the fact far too many rescues want much more in "adoption" fees than t a puppy would cost from a breeder, and THEN there are the unrealistic rules......