PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday Trivia: Spider Repellent

Star lover
February 28th, 2018, 08:30 AM
Want to stop spiders from nesting in your chandeliers?

Try ostrich eggs. They give off a scent undetectable to humans but naturally repellant to spiders.

The plan has worked for hundreds of years at the 16th-century Suleymaniye Mosque in Istanbul, where ostrich eggs dangle on chains from the domed ceiling amidst the oil and candle lamps.

Not a spiderweb in sight.

There's an online company in New Mexico selling them, (if you want to buy one) but they are currently out of stock and show no price......others show about $35 per dozen. You could feed a large family on 1 egg!

KPH
February 28th, 2018, 10:29 AM
I had a friend that raised ostriches for a while. Somewhere in my brain, an ostrich egg is like 22 regular eggs.

Rick would take the egg and blow it out, clean it. Then he'd use the drimel tool on it and make it really decorative. He was so artistic!

bakermom
February 28th, 2018, 10:32 AM
was not aware of that! Does it have to be an intact egg? thinking of the yuk factor if an "oopsie" occurred in the rafters.

Star lover
February 28th, 2018, 10:36 AM
Yes, it is to stay intact. The odor comes from the shell. There are special stands for them to stand in, if not hung. I agree......the smell, ick factor would be unbelievable, if broken. Couldn't find any info on how long the "repellent " worked.

Hulamoon
February 28th, 2018, 10:56 AM
I wonder how someone discovered such an odd occurrence?

grammaterry
March 1st, 2018, 12:13 AM
When I was in Austrailia 20 some years ago, I was gifted an intact 50 yr old Emu egg that had been painted in aborigine designs. It definitely still has an odor. I keep it under a glass dome. I traveled from Australia to New Zealand, to Fiji (where they confiscated it on the tarmac and met me on the tarmac when I left there country to give it back to me) and then to LA where I declared the live egg and they told me to "get out of here" and now it sits on my dresser as a memento of my trip. But , I must admit, I haven't seen a lot of spiders on my dresser.

Snip Snip
March 1st, 2018, 01:13 AM
That's funny, granmmaterry. Tales of the traveling emu egg.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
March 1st, 2018, 05:08 PM
I like spiders. Regular ones, that is. They kill any other bugs we have, especially in the basement. Nature's dehydrator.